• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Here is part of the info in regards to toxic ingredients. I am still going through my files in regards to the specific ingredient combinations that are "deemed" safe but combine into a toxic cocktail in our products. I will post that ASAP.

Tupelo Honey

Beach Lover
Nov 4, 2006
here
I know this friend who had a third cousin who knew a guy who hooked up with a hot chick in Las Vegas;they went to his room for what he thought would be a passionate night. She made him a drink...and that was the last thing he remembered...until he woke up in a bathtub full of bloody icewater. There was a note, it read "Dear sir-you have been drinking way too many diet cokes and you had unacceptable levels of aspartame in your Loops of Henle, so we took the liberty to perform a partial nephrectomy. To compensate you, we leave some nice Alpine bitterroot to flush your system and some colon cleanse to clean out the toxins and some literature regarding exciting multilevel marketing opportunities to distribute our products.

This is true, it really happened, facts be damned. Right?:roll:

By the way, are these personal testimonials or something posted on the internet. Don't make me google the mysterious Lt Wombat to confirm his existence

Then hang around some MySpace health groups where ordinary people report the same adverse reactions to these sweetners. Just because they are not keeled over in your emergency room does not mean the problem or the people suffering from it do not exist.

Decades ago, the medical community shunned chiropractors calling them "quacks." How ironic that today, insurance now covers chiropractic care.

So go cast your vote to purchase a new plane to fumigate SoWal, and I will lobby for fly boxes and bat houses. I hereby agree to disagree with you on this whole issue.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Mango, I would like to learn more about those traps which you mentioned. Do you have a resource for these traps which you could share?

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Then hang around some MySpace health groups where ordinary people report the same adverse reactions to these sweetners. Just because they are not keeled over in your emergency room does not mean the problem or the people suffering from it do not exist.

Decades ago, the medical community shunned chiropractors calling them "quacks." How ironic that today, insurance now covers chiropractic care.

So go cast your vote to purchase a new plane to fumigate SoWal, and I will lobby for fly boxes and bat houses. I hereby agree to disagree with you on this whole issue.

Watch out, he might say that myspace is quackery also!:lolabove: Obviously, anything that he doesn't personally believe in is nutz!

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Smiley J, you are right on target greater than 90% of the time, but your statements regarding big herbal:lol: wanting their products evaluated by the FDA is 100% incorrect. I gave a talk a few years ago about herbal remedies and did some research on the industry. At some point in the early to mid 1990s, congress (despite big pharma's rich lobbyists) blessed the industry with essentially a carte blanche to research, develop, manufacture and market their herbs and vitamins without FDA oversight...as I stated above, so long as the product label did not claim to diagnose or treat any condition and that claims made by the manufacturer were not evaluated by the FDA, they could sell whatever the hell they wanted.

Below I have attached a chart of the path taken when big pharma wants to develop a new drug. Big vitamin/herba has no requirement to go through this process. They can have a product on the shelves with the rate limiting step being marketing or label design!

Now, please explain to me what incentive the producers of herbs/vitamins have to get involved in the FDA plan?

The DSHEA act didn't give an open door policy any more than pharmaceutical companies have.:bang: What about prescription NSAIDs that were pulled off the shelf after being given out like candy in samples and prescriptions because of deadly side effects that no one bothered to test? Have you ever read the freaking side effects on the bottle of Infant Motrin? :dunno: That crap is scarier than 99% of all natural supplements!!!!! Do not act like everything that comes from pharmaceutical companies is even remotely safe. And if people didn't question what even MDs give them, they could be in a boatload of trouble because most MDs "secondary education" is from the d*** pharmaceutical companies via sales reps, most of the time.

Also, what about drugs like Dostinex & Fen-Phen? Where's the safety there?

In regards to our previous comments on prevention, if allopathic medicine gives little or no credit to nutrition, then what type of prevention can an MD assist with? Tests? Okay. But what are the options? If an MD can't assist with anything more than telling a person not to each fast food so much, then what assistance is that truly? Are the options for prevention still drugs or surgery, which is where MDs' expertise lies? Well, if you are not sick and trying not to get sick, why would those be options? So, there is a gap where allopathic medicine, as a general rule, cannot help the consumer/patient. BUT you laugh at those who want to use cleansing & detoxification as preventative measures.

I laugh with you, but I know where I'd rather put my trust, with those who would truly help me prevent disease instead of just catching it in "hopefully" early stages and then killing my system with a bunch of possibily unnecessary, toxic drugs. Again, if I was having a heart attack, a stroke or needed an emergency C-Section, I'm all yours, Doc. But in regards to allopathic medicine being able to help with healthcare.... nope. Y'all are in the sick care business, my friend.

Last edited:

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
First of all, unless you actually lived here before the Mosquito Control started up, you really don't know what you are talking about when the comment is made that you would rather live with dog flies and mosquitoes. We now live relatively comfortable because of what they have accomplished. I applaud them. The Mosquito Control has made incredible achievement in controlling these pests, and I really don't believe that we will totally eradicate the mosquito, or the other pests, and if man doesn't control them, the balance of nature gets lopsided. Whether it is Malithion, or some other pesticide, something needs to be used. Yes there are side effects of the poisons, best to stay indoors when they are sprayed. If someone comes up with a better solution than Malithion, bring it forward!
I understand that other cities have curved the use of some poisons, yet bed bugs are on the rise, along with rats! Who knows what else! There are pros and cons to everything, they must be weighed very carefully.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Mango, I would like to learn more about those traps which you mentioned. Do you have a resource for these traps which you could share?

I tried calling the Rutgers Institute today who consults with counties in Jersey on different health issues specifically the pest management division and they did not have any info for me.

They suggested calling the municipality to find out what the traps are, where they got them etc. I will try and call tomorrow.

Also, on the first resource I posted, in references, there are numerous articles and several of them discuss traps. I googled a few names, but the articles didn't come up immediately.

I am researching it further. Another idea would be contacting a commercial pest control company and questioning them as to what is available. So far what I have learned is they have different types of traps depending on the stage/sex of the fly, and pheremones are used to attract them to the trap.

Will post more as I learn and hopefully others may contribute as well.

Last edited:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
First of all, unless you actually lived here before the Mosquito Control started up, you really don't know what you are talking about when the comment is made that you would rather live with dog flies and mosquitoes. We now live relatively comfortable because of what they have accomplished. I applaud them. The Mosquito Control has made incredible achievement in controlling these pests, and I really don't believe that we will totally eradicate the mosquito, or the other pests, and if man doesn't control them, the balance of nature gets lopsided. Whether it is Malithion, or some other pesticide, something needs to be used. Yes there are side effects of the poisons, best to stay indoors when they are sprayed. If someone comes up with a better solution than Malithion, bring it forward!
I understand that other cities have curved the use of some poisons, yet bed bugs are on the rise, along with rats! Who knows what else! There are pros and cons to everything, they must be weighed very carefully.

Florida Girl, if there was a viable solution other than toxic pesticides, would you be willing to use it? It's a simple question.

We are weighing the issues very carefully, that's why this discussion is happening. And, yes, we need opinions from all sides: pro, con, alternatives & those answers that fall somewhere in between.

Man, as you put it, did not create this world that we live on. We are to be stewards of it, not controlling it for our own exploitation only. There are natural laws that we (humans, plants, other animals, etc.) are governed by that we cannot overcome. By meddling with those natural laws, we are at risk for even larger, more dangerous issues than just getting rid of mosquitoes and dog flies. We all know about life cycles, food chains, ecosystems, etc.... simple biology. In those basic classes we were also taught that if you remove even the smallest of creatures from those cycles, you create a turmoil that is virtually impossible to reverse. Do you have answers to those issues in regards to the delicate ecosystems that our choices as humans have completely disregarded? Do you feel no responsibility as a steward of the area that you grew up in and love so dearly?

Your love for this area is obvious. Your love for your father is even more obvious. Not knowing him, I know through you that he was a man who was working to provide the best answers that he knew of in his time. We know more now. We understand what our actions as humans do to the rest of the world. We still have a chance to learn to live more harmoniously on this planet instead of slowly destroying it. What if, in your dad's lifetime, he had realized this, after all that he had learned previously? What if he had changed his mind? Would it have changed yours? No one is attacking your dad's legacy. Your passion is honorable.

Thanks.:D

And for everyone, in regards to the food chain, consider this. We are at the top of it. If one species at the bottom is knocked out, everything from there on up is affected, including us. But if we are knocked out, then everything below us simply heals. I am not promoting the extinction of the human race. What I am saying is that we need to eat a bit of humble pie and figure it all out before the problems that we are creating, bite us in the a$$ to the point that we are endangered or extinct.

Last edited:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove

I never said chiropracters were quacks, so please don't put words in my mouth. I encourage people with chronic pain to patronize them, and it makes them feel better, and manipulation to ease pain MAKES SENSE! Now, there are some chiropracters who claim to be able to cure everything from acne to heart disease from spinal manipulation. This is not a heresay assertion-Rapunz goes to chiropractors and one that she went to gave her a diagram of the spine with a breakdown of afflictions that manifested as a result of poor spinal alignment at various vertebral levels. Now, if a DC claims he/she can lower your cholesterol because L3 is a little too lordotic relative to L2, they are indeed participating in quackery! Do you agree?

All I am saying is that many people make many dubious claims, often in the name of making a buck, and desperate consumers gobble it up out of fear or ignorance. No good studies exist that suggest aspartame is a health threat, but there are plenty of people who will gin-up the hysteria and then try to sell you some form of worthless 'kit' to cleanse yourself of aspartame. A fool and their money should be allowed to part, but the desperate, misinformed (and oft taken advantage of) people parting with money for no good reason makes me sick.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
The DSHEA act didn't give an open door policy any more than pharmaceutical companies have.:bang: What about prescription NSAIDs that were pulled off the shelf after being given out like candy in samples and prescriptions because of deadly side effects that no one bothered to test? Have you ever read the freaking side effects on the bottle of Infant Motrin? :dunno: That crap is scarier than 99% of all natural supplements!!!!! Do not act like everything that comes from pharmaceutical companies is even remotely safe. And if people didn't question what even MDs give them, they could be in a boatload of trouble because most MDs "secondary education" is from the d*** pharmaceutical companies via sales reps, most of the time.

Also, what about drugs like Dostinex & Fen-Phen? Where's the safety there?

In regards to our previous comments on prevention, if allopathic medicine gives little or no credit to nutrition, then what type of prevention can an MD assist with? Tests? Okay. But what are the options? If an MD can't assist with anything more than telling a person not to each fast food so much, then what assistance is that truly? Are the options for prevention still drugs or surgery, which is where MDs' expertise lies? Well, if you are not sick and trying not to get sick, why would those be options? So, there is a gap where allopathic medicine, as a general rule, cannot help the consumer/patient. BUT you laugh at those who want to use cleansing & detoxification as preventative measures.

I laugh with you, but I know where I'd rather put my trust, with those who would truly help me prevent disease instead of just catching it in "hopefully" early stages and then killing my system with a bunch of possibily unnecessary, toxic drugs. Again, if I was having a heart attack, a stroke or needed an emergency C-Section, I'm all yours, Doc. But in regards to allopathic medicine being able to help with healthcare.... nope. Y'all are in the sick care business, my friend.

What about vioxx, phen fen, etc? Know where you can score some, because I don't. Of course there are exceptional cases, but all in all, prescription drugs are efficacious if used judiciously. I am no defender of big pharma;I try like hell to write Rx's for stuff on the $4 Wal-Mart formulary, generic if that isn't an option, and then move on to the 'latest and greatest'.

I think maybe our mutual concepts of what is meant by prevention differ. For kids it is growth, development, screening and safety...basically laying a sturdy foundation for them to move on through adolesence and adulthood. Adults are screened for diseases according to well thought out schedules and office visits allow for broader discussions in other areas. Sorry to hear you might think allopaths don't measure up:sosad:

So it makes me feel really dumb now, after ten years of sacrifice, sleepless nights, 80 hour work weeks, more exams than I care to remember (and more to come!:bang: ), student loans of about $100,000 coming due to know what a dopey guild I have joined. I could have probably had more credibility in the eyes of many had I patronized this fine institution What about vioxx, phen fen, etc? Know where you can score some, because I don't. Of course there are exceptional cases, but all in all, prescription drugs are efficacious if used judiciously. I am no defender of big pharma;I try like hell to write Rx's for stuff on the $4 Wal-Mart formulary, generic if that isn't an option, and then move on to the 'latest and greatest'.

I think maybe our mutual concepts of what is meant by prevention differ. For kids it is growth, development, screening and safety...basically laying a sturdy foundation for them to move on through adolesence and adulthood. Adults are screened for diseases according to well thought out schedules and office visits allow for broader discussions in other areas. Sorry to hear you might think allopaths don't measure up:sosad:

So it makes me feel really dumb now, after ten years of sacrifice, sleepless nights, 80 hour work weeks, more exams than I care to remember (and more to come!:bang: ), student loans of about $100,000 coming due to know what a dopey guild I have joined. I could have probably had more credibility in the eyes of many had I patronized this fine institution http://www.gcnm.com/

Last edited: