Mosquito Control wants to spend $1.2 million for a new poison spray plane

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Smiling JOe, May 5, 2007.

1. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

Have you gone out and bought new CFL bulbs yet?:blink:
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cfl.asp

2. 30A Skunkape

It is always proper to find out who paid for a study. Which one did I cite that you are curious about? I will do my best to research funding.

Sorry to hear about the CLL:sosad:

3. For The Health Of It

For The Health Of It Beach Fanatic

No, I do not engage/sell multi-level marketing products. As for my first post in this thread, it was taken from the data sheet on dibram naled.

I did not notice the nugget regarding developing aids from a toothpaste, I did not waste my time on that.

It can be said about anything you find on the web in regard to taking you to a case study of internet junk. Probably the same way I feel of your continuos use of the Snopes link. We each have an opionion on health and they differ. In the info you posted about the facts of the mercury in the light bulbs, I have to wonder if the amount of mercury that spills has the same effect on an infant in the home as it would on an adult? Same as with the use of pesticides and other chemicals, each person has different capabilities to cope with contaminents. Some people may be able to handle certain toxins while others can not.

So, no matter how much you wish to attack me and my posts, it simply still comes down to having a choice. You can believe what you want, and I what I want. Just because you are a Dr and have the reasearch produced by people in your industry at your hands does not make all your info correct.

Also just to clarify, I do believe we need a form of mosquito control. Just one that allows people the choice of being sprayed or not.

4. For The Health Of It

Skunky, you seem to want to personally attack my posts and anyone else's posts who does not agree with your opinion. I have tried to learn from your views on this thread and other threads. It does amaze me that you bash all things herbal, alternative or anyone who asks questions when you promote all the prescription meds that come with a long list of serious side effects.

Better to believe the Doc just because he's the doc than to ask questions. How many people die each year do to adverse reactions and or contraindications to the prescribed meds that the Doc places them on? This should be the topic of a new thread as we now have removed ourselves from the important topic of this thread.

Have a good day prescribing your junk.

5. 30A Skunkape

Easy man, I was just pointing out a clunky website you chose to cite. Do you think we can comfortably ignore an obvious bogus claim made by the authors while accepting another? I am careful to only provide links that will lead people to uncluttered sites. Snopes is a great site because they cut through the baloney and actually provide data to back up their musings.

I am not attacking you personally, just practicing healthy skepticism...you can be a skeptic as well, just don't take it personally because I sure don't:D

6. 30A Skunkape

I do not bash all things herbal, alternative or bemoan curious consumers. how many people die due to adverse reactions? I don't know, why not look it up and report back and we can publically compare notes. Go ahead and start a new thread, that is a good idea:clap_1:

I will have a nice day prescribing junk. Sounds like you could use some St John's Wort:funn:

7. tuck

tuck Beach Lover

Skunk and Peaboy

Shame on both of you. First Skunk for all the attacks and then Peaboy for the responding attacks. Please get this thread back to the origional topic and that is about the blanket spraying of pesticides. I am still waiting for someone to respond to my questions about what alternatives exist, cost and application.

Peaboy and Skunk please only resond if you have answers and information on this issue.

8. 30A Skunkape

An exchange of ideas without personal insult is not an attack. Should I go stand in the corner now?

I think Mango, Smiley J, and Organic Mama already responded regarding alternatives.

9. For The Health Of It

Sorry... I took my st.johns wart as advised by Skunk. Hey Skunk did you take some prozac:lol:

10. 30A Skunkape

:lolabove: Nah, I am already shiny and happy:lol: But if I did, I would insist on generic fluoxetine, much cheaper and just as effective:cool:

11. For The Health Of It

12. 30A Skunkape

13. organicmama

organicmama Beach Fanatic

After about a week of aiding the takeover of the discussion, I'm totally with Tuck. I'd like to see if we can make changes to the current ways of doing things with the spraying. We can't expect to suddenly jump from one system to another, but we need to all work together to find solutions.

Tuck, one of my mentors headed up the Biological Farmers of Australia for years. His name is Alf Orpen. He can assist me via e-mail and phone, if we would like his advice. He does come to the states twice a year and we can have him meet with anyone who would like to talk with him about this issue. How does that sound?

14. tuck

tuck Beach Lover

Thanks... I guess it would come down to having the Mosquito Control Board and Director willing to listen to some alternatives. I think I read in one of these posts that Florida Girl would be willing to look at options. It would be great to get several members of this thread together to discuss the alternatives and make a presentation to Mosquito Control. It might nbe a way for people with differing views to come together.

We need a form of Mosquito control, just one that is fair and healthy for all.

15. tuck

tuck Beach Lover

Florida girl, sorry to have put you on the spot in the above post. I was thinking it would be great to have you on board since you have such a long history in the area, and to represent your proud family tradition.

16. mothernature

mothernature Beach Comber

Happy Mother's Day, and to Mother Earth as well. (a fitting acknowledgment on this thread.)

A Mom from Freeport said the squirrels in her back yard drag their hugely-swollen testicles on the ground behind them. She called them "tumorous". By the way, she also mentioned her son was sprayed in their back yard at the close of '06 spraying season. He was diagnosed with a tumor on his thyroid. He was in the peak of health prior to that time. She's convinced the incident was the cause.

A Mom from the Seaside/Seagrove area lost her six year old son to pesticides. Ask her how she feels about them.

A couple in Santa Rosa Beach area alarmed at their wetlands property. The frog and insect populations (bees, dragon flies, butterflies) are dwindling to nothing. Ask them why they think this has happened.

The stories go on and on. Stillbirths, low birth weight, cancers, new allergies in adults never having had a problem before, tremors, etc......... but, these things have no cause, right? Just mysteries of life? Or, maybe a gene we haven't discovered yet?"

To spray or not to spray, this is not the question. The question is :

"Doesn't this community care enough about the health and safety of living things-- insects, animals and other wildlife, children and adults, to do what other cities, counties and states have done--as a unified community, investigate and adopt healthier (safer) ways to solve their pest problems?"

Neighbor #1: "Listen, Rover has fleas. I decided to gas him. Then, I figured, I'll just gas all the dogs in the area. But fleas are a big problem, so I decided I'll just gas the whole community with chemicals to control the fleas." :cool:

Neighbor #2: "I've seen my dogs scratch. You might as well spray the whole community. Fleas are disease carriers and they are bothersome!" :eek:

Neighbor #3: "Wait, I don't own a dog. I don't want to be sprayed. How about instead of gassing the dogs or spraying the whole area, investigating the safest, most effective way to get rid of fleas? I've reasearched how harmful that gas is. Let's talk." :nono1:

Neighbor #1 and 2: "Oh, for heaven's sake. You're nuts!" :funn: :floor:

Happy Mother's Day?

17. Chandra

Chandra Beach Fanatic

Wow! just catching up on this thread. I'm all for personal choice and exploring other solutions. We are intelligent, creative problem solvers that should continue to question our surroundings. I choose to purchase local and or organic food when it's available. I have also chosen to grow my own vegetables and am not particularly fond of the mosquito spraying. I certainly understand everyone's need to be comfortable while enjoying the great outdoors, though I'm of the opinion that just because something doesn't kill us or our fellow creatures in the short term, doesn't mean it can't have lasting, evolved implications.

So, I just wanted to point out (if it hasn't been mentioned already) that Susanne at For the Health of it, has done extensive research on this topic, as well as, she's approached Mosquito Control with alternatives. Unfortunately, I believe she's never had any backup support. From the looks of this thread, it sounds like that support may be growing.

18. 30A Skunkape

Case closed, cause and effect established. Thanks Mama Nature!:wave:

19. organicmama

I have two things to post in regards to the aerial spraying. I have read over the fact sheet on Naled quickly and will pull an MSDS on it.

James Clauson responded to my inquiry. Here is his info:
    James Clauson
    Environmental Administrator
    Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control
    [SIZE=+0]DACS, State of Florida[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]1203 Governors Square Blvd., Suite 300[/SIZE]
    850-922-7011 ext.103
    Fax 850-413-7044
    [SIZE=+0]Tallahassee, Florida, 32301-2994[/SIZE]

Here is the bulk of the letter that Mr. Clausen wrote to me:

Having spent much of my life growing up and working in Santa Rosa Beach and South Walton County, I have seen the problem with the biting dog flies first hand. The flies originate in the many inland animal feedlots of North Florida, Southern Alabama and South Georgia and are carried by north winds to the beaches of the Panhandle. When I was growing up, you could not go to the beaches along South Walton County after the first cold front moved through due to the thousands of flies that amass in the local beach communities. This proved to be quite a disappointment to me and my friends who enjoyed going to the beaches during this time of year and I can recall the impact fly season had on the local economy.
    The personnel in the Operational Support Section that provide this valuable service of aerial spraying along the beaches of the panhandle are very well trained in the application of the pesticide Naled. Naled is the chemical of choice because of its low application rate, 0.66 ounce/acre, its effectiveness in reducing the number of target species and its rapid degradation in the environment. Because of these characteristics, the EPA has recently re-registered Naled for use in treating these and other pests.
    Efforts taken to control the flies are quite extensive and are in accordance with strict statutory requirements. First, the flies are sprayed only when they congregate on the beach. The local mosquito control districts work with Operational Support staff to verify the need for spraying by taking landing rate counts and only when sufficient number of flies are present (minimum of 5 per minute), the plane is dispatched. Additional care is taken to insure spray equipment is calibrated and the meteorological conditions are conducive to the application of the pesticide. The attached fact sheet offers additional information on Naled which you may find useful.
    Please understand that this aerial spraying is being accomplished for the benefit of all of the residents, as well as the many visitors that frequent South Walton and the rest of the Florida Panhandle. It is important to reiterate that spray operations are conducted only when necessary, and in compliance with label directions to protect the residents and visitors to South Walton and Grayton Beach.
    If I can be of any further assistance with your concerns, please do not hesitate to call me at 850-922-7011, or e-mail me at clausoj@doacs.state.fl.us. I?ve included a link to the latest information from the EPA on the chemical Naled.

20. organicmama

Here's the msds of Naled/Dibrom & the safety labels.