• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Here's a story and slide show I saw this morning on Yahoo News. SoWal, nor any towns in our area (e.g., Destin, Panama City), are mentioned, though Florida and Gulf Coast of Florida in general are viewed as having some of the highest risks (perhaps because of so many people who come to our beaches, increasing the chances that someone will be hurt). Interesting information about beach dangers, especially for people not as familiar with beach-living/ocean. Right now, I think it would make sense to have a few beaches along SoWal with lifeguards -- not all of the beaches, but a few key beaches so that families have the option to swim where there's a life guard during certain hours of the day, as well as the option to swim where there isn't a life guard. Here's the link to the article:

http://biz.yahoo.com/weekend/hazard_1.html

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
But to remain safe on the beach, Florida-beach expert David McRee recommends good old-fashioned common sense. "When you are on vacation, you have to realize that even though you may feel footloose and fancy free, you still have to use common sense."

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
my list of realistic beach dangers in SoWal: (just off the top of my head and mostly by experience)

1 rip current/drowning (seen a rescue)
2 hit by lightning (seen it happen)
3 normal scuba dangers (diving)
4 sunburn/jellyfish (experience, seen worse)
5 step on stingray or underwater snake/eel (ouch experience - tomato juice)
6 step on sea urchin/cut by barnacle/oyster (multiple experience-more juice)
7 yellow jacket stings/bug bites (experienced while fishing)
8 bacteria/poo in water (heard about it)
9 hit by boat/jetski (seen it happen)
10 heat stroke/shark attack (heard about it)

just a day at the beach

marinebiology451 said:
my list of realistic beach dangers in SoWal: (just off the top of my head and mostly by experience)

1 rip current/drowning (seen a rescue)
2 hit by lightning (seen it happen)
3 normal scuba dangers (diving)
4 sunburn/jellyfish (experience, seen worse)
5 step on stingray or underwater snake/eel (ouch experience - tomato juice)
6 step on sea urchin/cut by barnacle/oyster (multiple experience-more juice)
7 yellow jacket stings/bug bites (experienced while fishing)
8 bacteria/poo in water (heard about it)
9 hit by boat/jetski (seen it happen)
10 heat stroke/shark attack (heard about it)

just a day at the beach
11 crossing 30-A to get to the beach (some people have no respect for pedestrians - I always stop when I see someone trying to cross the road)
12 riding a bicycle to get to the beach (cars frequently pull out of streets/driveways onto the bike paths without looking for bicyclists)