Mourning Luna del Mar...

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by katie blue, Apr 5, 2005.

1. katie blue

katie blue kt loo

Just read in the Walton Sun Online that we're losing one of our favorite restaurants...ANYWHERE-- Luna del Mar. Not sure why, it said they just couldnt make a go of it. They had the best tortilla soup and green salsa i've ever had... and i'm a texas girl. what i'd give for those recipes!! The consolation is that a good seafood place will be going in in its place, but I will always miss Luna. :sosad:

2. landlord

landlord Beach Lover

Darn it... disappointed to hear the news. We enjoyed Luna as well. It was a nice change of pace at the beach.

3. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I guess that more of you will be frequenting CoCo's. I've said for a while now, that we are losing restaurants left and right, and within the next 5 years, we will have to drive to Freeport to eat out.

4. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

The restaurant had a fantastic location. however, there was a lot of construction going on around it for several months and that may have taken business away (since the location, as well as the food, was a big part of it's strength).

I think a big part of the way to keep businesses in business along 30A is to get more people to visit the area all year round which means enticing snowbirds to the area. I think the area will be busy when all of us boomers retire and move to the area or spend more time visiting the area, but that's about a decade away so creative ways to get people in the area Sept - March (esp. Nov - end of Feb) will be important to our businesses.

I do my part by eating out regularly when I'm there, going to my old favorites and trying at least 1-2 new places each time.

5. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

What's good in Freeport?

6. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

At the moment, Freeport does not have much to offer. The Corner Cafe has good breakfast (except pancakes), great burgers for lunch, fried shrimp for dinner. Did I mention it is cheap -- I guess they are cutting cost by not upgrading the decor. Oh, you may get some stares from the locals -- some of them don't take kindly to strangers.

On another note, one of the tough parts about keeping restaurants in SoWal is the cost to lease space (around $30/sf), but as important, is the lack of staff to operate the place. With those two negatives, and a new restaurant failure rate of 90% in the first year, who wants to spend $250,000 to get two full time jobs that may or may not pay anything after all is said and done? Most people would rather sink that $250,000 into buying investment land, and they would probably be better off, and have plenty of free time to enjoy life.

7. Camp Creek Kid

Camp Creek Kid Christini Zambini

I was told that Luna del Mar closed because the company was having financial problems with its Dallas restaurant which made it difficult for them to cover their mortgage here. It appears that the problem was with the company itself, not necessarily the Eastern Lake location.

Luna del Mar had good food--except for the time I got food poisoning from their shredded beef tacos. They were always so understaffed that on a busy night we had to wait an hour, after being seated, just to get our order taken. I wasn't too impressed with the place.

8. chrisv

chrisv Beach Fanatic

Hey, that's progress! We have to drive over the bridge to eat out now!

9. katie blue

katie blue kt loo

Interesting..never had that experience, and we ate there at least a dozen times. I was always rather impressed with the professionalism myself. But, most importantly, although some of their fare was just average, certain specialty dishes were *over the top* delicious!

I hear that the new place will be called Old Florida seafood or something like that, and will be similar to Harbor Docks, which rumor has is quite good. wonder if they'll have bands playing there as well...

10. STL Don

STL Don Beach Fanatic

Two weeks ago I had the same experience with poor service and running out of the types of food that we had ordered. Nevertheless, it is sad to see the only "close" Texmex place disappear.

11. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

If someone wants to give me 1/2 million bucks, I will open up a walk-up taco stand in Freeport.

12. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

Carne Asada :D

13. seagrovelover

seagrovelover little sugar

oh we are really sorry to hear that, loved the location and the food. We go every year :sosad: I guess we will try coco's.....good margaritas hmmmmmmmm :wink:

14. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

BIG Margaritas (Jumbo size = 64 oz, and it's not the first one that gets you.)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  15. seagrovelover

seagrovelover little sugar

NOW YOUR TALKING SJ :clap_1:

16. Beach Girl

Beach Girl Beach Lover

When will the new restaurant open? Where is Coco's? I've never heard of that and we've been coming to Seagrove for years.

17. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

Same here. Where is Coco's? :cool:

18. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Last time, for the record, CoCo's is located on the north side of Hwy 98, about 1 mile west of Hwy 393. It is in the same strip mall with the US Post Office.

19. UofL

UofL Beach Fanatic

Where was/is Luna del Mar located? Agree with post about hang in there a few more years. We are looking forward to the time when we can stay a month or two in the winter - now it is one week per year in early June. Counting down.

20. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Fa-get-a-bout-it, it is gone.