• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

AURN

Beach Comber
Jul 5, 2014
We are purchasing a home along 30a, primary residence, and we have a child who will be attending ecms. I've heard the schools here are good, but after reading some posts on this forum, I have concerns. What's the deal?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Like any school system there's always room for improvement. I don't have kids so I'll let others that have actually worked with the schools speak.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
We are purchasing a home along 30a, primary residence, and we have a child who will be attending ecms. I've heard the schools here are good, but after reading some posts on this forum, I have concerns. What's the deal?

Can you link to post that says something negative about our schools?

m1a1mg

Beach Fanatic
Mar 16, 2014
Lost in the world
I've heard from educators with high school aged kids that Freeport is decent. I also know people who avoid Walton County schools completely. Many people settle in Bluewater Bay just for the schools.

Don't misconstrue my thoughts. There are excellent teachers in Walton County. The biggest problem is administration. And it's a very big problem. Hopefully as the population in the county increases, this will no longer be tolerated. Read some of the other threads in this sub-forum. Way too much good-ole-boy around these parts. And I grew up in the South.

To be honest, we didn't move down here permanently until our youngest was finished high school. I was lucky that I could keep my kids in an excellent school system after I retired from the Army.

luca brazzi

Banned
Jan 6, 2013
I know a kid that lives in Point Washington that attends school in Niceville. If you can find a good private school in the area and can afford it send your child there. Did you see the post where the school district hired a young woman to teach at South Walton who had a felony conviction for DUI and cocaine possession? I'm also told that the teachers in Walton Schools are the least experienced in our area.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
We might add that the school system is broke. Like a lot of other Anderson staff members, it seems that the financial officer was unqualified for the position.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Yep, school system is flat broke, probably won't be able to pay the lights or the mortgage. I hear tell of a yard sale.

:sarc:

SkinShark

Beach Lover
Aug 16, 2012
So dramatic people!! What ever happened to being positive? Last I heard, the largest population of our schools are the parents of the children that we send there. If all the parents would volunteer and be present it would drastically change our classrooms. Let's see all of you sign up!

Secondly-what schools are we comparing ourselves to? All I know is I moved here to get away from the schools my kids were supposed to attend in Ga. We pat ourselves on the back daily for making that decision for our kids. I feel so lucky to live in this beautiful small town. I would have been miserable raising my kids in a huge town with murders, car jackings and $30,000 a year private schools.

With that being said. My oldest son is about to graduate from college and my daughter is thriving at Seaside. We were lucky enough to get into seaside... (although there are days when I think ECMS would have been better)....but bottom line, I know my kids friends parents, I know where they live, I know they can't get into to much trouble because I know all 20 people that live here...

Welcome to sowal!!!! I hope you take in a Friday night football game in this fall. So fun. Great BBQ. Great neighbors. And please, feel free to dedicate some free time at school.