1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Much flooding north of 98

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by iwishiwasthere, Oct 10, 2015.

1. iwishiwasthere

iwishiwasthere Beach Fanatic

Does it flood often north of 98 when there are heavy rains? Some of the houses near the water look like they might have issues. Looking for information for a future move to the area. I would hate to buy a house that floods easily.

2. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Long and short of it is that every single thing in South Walton has the potential to flood it's just a matter of severity.

Many of the subdivisions and homes north of 98 are fairly close to bay level, however they generally drain fairly well. It takes a lot of storm water runoff to raise the level of the bay, but during a hurricane it's an entirely different story.

3. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

I have seen both north and south of 98 flooded from just a stalled out front on top of us....wasnt but a few years ago..pretty sure there are pictures on here somewhere. You can also find floodzone maps that are pretty accurate.

4. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Just don't ask your realtor if the property will flood.

5. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Checking a flood zone map is a very good idea. I believe there are some areas in South Walton that are not in flood zones. I don't think some of the Seacrest area is in a flood zone, and there may be other areas.

6. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

7. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

So when are you moving here iwish? That's exciting. We live on a bayou in Pt Washington and the waters rose to the house only once during a hurricane. But no damage. Get a good realtor.

8. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

Most of this area is situated in a "swamp". Almost everything has the potential for flooding.

First, I'd suggest (if possible) taking a ride just after a storm and look at the areas you may be interested in. Look for standing water one to two days after a storm event, that's a red flag for me. Ask neighbor's too. Places with wood planks spanning the small front yard swales in certain developments front yards are a sure sign of water issues.

Check to see what and where the Storm Water plan is, don't be surprised if there isn't one... Another red flag. Are there retention ponds?

If you have time, go research the previous post on the three tier County Storm Water Plan, it has a large attachement to it. That outlines some very specific areas that experienced serious flood water issues in April 2014. I'd avoid any of those areas, until the County get's its act together and corrects the challenges in those listed areas.

Finally, I really avoid any new development areas. There is a reason certain areas have homes and others don't. Those properties that have been established should be easy to determine flood risks, simply becasue they have been in existenance and had the rain fall. Those that are "on the table" and in planning or building stages have never experienced significant rain. Thus, its 50 / 50 % and a gamble.

While some realtor types will be quick to disagree, remember this is your investment, choose wisely and find someone not just out there to make a commission.

My quick answer to your initial question is "Yes, it floods north of 98, specifically in the Driftwood area, Chat Holley Area too".

Another option is to go pull the old WCSO road closure announcements and look at which roads were closed when we had heavy rain. That will also give you an indicator.

9. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

It's not just the lot and subdivision you need to investigate. What's around you? Is it built out or is it raw land that could be developed and cause problems?

10. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Beach Fanatic

From what I've seen and experienced around here, I wouldn't want to live in a home that wasn't up on pilings. We live in a "flood zone" and when we built, the ACOE permitting process required us to build our home 10' up on pilings. When the heavy rains come, we're dry and our property drains fairly well.

11. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

Another issue - check to see if the home you are considering was built before the road was paved (many roads here were dirt until 10 - 15 years ago) or, if it is on a dirt road, if it's on the list to be paved. If the house isn't elevated, raising the road bed for paving can cause major flooding issues when it rains. Case in point - the last little house on the right on Hilltop Road (we lived there as newlyweds) and the yellow house at the corner of Cabbage Rose Lane and East Point Washington Road.

12. Franny

Franny Beach Fanatic

Having a wetland survey completed is also important.

13. BeachArkie

BeachArkie Beach Lover

There are many properties north and south of 98 that are in flood zones and/or have a high probability of flooding. Right now is an excellent time to go real estate shopping, anywhere with standing water now will have it in the future!