• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Terp22

Beach Comber
Sep 10, 2007
The Friends of Timpoochee Trail is a local group of cyclists who have safety in mind and are continuously working with Walton County to try and make thing happen-it's not easy and we could use as much help as possible. If you see things wrong like a golf cart using the path or a car or truck parked on the path call or email Commissioner Meadows office, meacindy@co.walton.fl.us , 622-3059. New signage is to be installed this month(hopefully) which will be great in terms of Warnings, identifying areas, park trails, mile markers, stop signs, trail crossing road, towns, etc.

Meanwhile we continuously fight developers and utilities companies cutting the path and not repairing in a timely manner or just not repairing He's the latest example-sorry for the email trail (no pun)but you can see this goes back to July;

Oh my, now what a mess-they just piled sand on top of the pavers! It's an obstacle course for anyone using the path and very dangerous-what is the county going to do to get this corrected today, this week? Please let me know.
This calls for action-we are talking three months since the path was destroyed-does anyone care?

Jim-I understand what happened-thanks for the explanation. Hopefully the developer will be "good guys" to the neighborhood/tourists and all users of the multi-use path and allow these pavers to be replaced with a smooth asphalt surface (the county should be willing to fund part or all cost as it wasn't the developers fault). I feel that whomever purchases this home won't want to everyone who users the path to "despise" this area and look at the owners as "unfriendly to local citizens as well as tourists.
Thank You,

Mr. Betz,

It does appear that the open faced pavers were approved as a component
of the stormwater exfiltration system. This project was submitted,
reviewed and approved in 2004, long before the county began reviewing
with the new typical design for multi-purpose path surfaces. Thanks to
yours and Mr. McClary's efforts, this issue has brought to light. I am
working with the developer, his agent and other county departments to
find a quick solution that will benefit all.

Thank you again for your diligence.

Jim Harman

Jim Harman
Walton County Development Order Inspector
850-622-1457
850-267-1827 fax

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 3:20 PM
To: Jim Harman; danmcclary
Cc: Cindy Meadows
Subject: RE: Rosa Dunes aka Oasis
Importance: High

I just received the plans from the Commissioner's office where County
Engineering apparently approved "open" pavers-obviously a big mistake.
What's the next step as this is unacceptable for the path? I suggest
some negotiating be done with the developer to make this "right"-do
whatever it takes to correct this error on WC's part.
Thanks,

Fred Betz

45 Beach Walk Lane

Santa Rosa Beach, Florida 32459

850-267-2256

Fax 914-697-7948

Sent: Monday, July 30, 2007 10:58 AM
To: danmcclary
Cc: Betz, Fred; Cindy Meadows

Mr. McClary,

I will find out what I can about the Sand Cliffs project. As to Alys
Beach, I did not ask them to change the lights. They may have done that
on their own.

Jim Harman

Sent: Monday, July 30, 2007 10:54 AM
To: Jim Harman
Cc: 'Betz, Fred'
Subject: FW: Rosa Dunes aka Oasis

Jim -

Sand Cliffs on the Gulf, located just west of Alys Beach, is re-building
their entrance. The new pavers were delivered Friday. The path runs
through the entrance. I asked the County many months ago (October 2006)
if
the Sand Cliffs design included pavers rather then pavement for the
path. I
didn't receive a response from Lyle's group.

Can you or someone check the Sand Cliffs plan/building permit before
work
starts and prevent a similar situation from arising as the one described
below?

Thanks. Also, looks like Alys Beach replaced the unsafe light fixtures
near
the east buttery with lights flush with the ground - I don't know
whether
they did it because we asked or not, but at least this hazard is
eliminated
- thanks.

Dan McClary
850-217-3894

Sent: Monday, July 30, 2007 9:59 AM
To: 'Darrell Barnhill'; 'Darrell Barnhill'
Cc: Tommy Hinote; Cindy Meadows
Subject: Rosa Dunes aka Oasis

Darrell,

A further inspection of the Rosa Dunes site showed the work has begun
for the installation of the paver system. However, the developer has
chosen to use an open face paver system. This is not an acceptable
surface for use within the bike path. They meet neither ADA standards or
the county typical for the path. Please have your client remove the open
faced pavers an install a suitable product. This needs to be done ASAP!

Thank you,

Jim Harman

Jim Harman
850-622-1457
850-267-1827 fax

Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 7:54 AM
To: 'Darrell Barnhill'
Cc: Tommy Hinote

Darrell,

An inspection of this site yesterday showed that the work scheduled to
start on Friday July 20th has not commenced. Please inform your client
that one can not demolish a county amenity such as the multi-purpose
path and leave it in an unfinished state for an extended period of time.
This has been in it's current condition for at least one month. We have
received several complaints from users of the path.

This will be turned to Code Enforcement if not corrected immediately.
Monetary fines and stop work orders may be levied.

Please respond in writing with your proposed plan to rectify this
situation.

Thank you,

Jim Harman
850-622-1457
850-267-1827 fax

From: Darrell Barnhill [mailto:darrell@waltoncountyfl.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 4:01 PM
To: Jim Harman
Subject: Re: Rosa Dunes aka Oasis

Works is expected to start on July 20.
Thank you
Darrell
----- Original Message -----
To: "Darrell Barnhill" <darrell@waltoncountyfl.com>
Cc: "Darrell Barnhill" <dudson@prodigy.net>
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 5:44 AM
Subject: Rosa Dunes aka Oasis

Darrell,

Just a reminder to check on the schedule for completion of the road at
Rosa Dunes.

Thanks,

Jim

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
:welcome: Terp22 :wave:

Thanks for the 411! Glad to hear signage is going up along the path again. :clap: I can't believe how many people I've seen people parked all over the path, and the construction where we've had to ride on 30-A with the traffic going by. :eek: Very skeery.
:blink: I hope the signage also explains for bikers to PLEASE say, 'Passing on the L or R' loudly as not to surprise/run over walkers. :D I remember when we first visited sowal those signs helped us to know the rules. We just needed the education was all. :roll: Signs are grayt things for sowal. :clap:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Construction nightmares continue to cause problems along the bikepath and I don't know why the County allows it to be done. It is a huge safety issue. On Friday, I had bikers coming at me in my driving lane. They were avoiding the "Bike Path Detour." Location -- north side of 30A, between WaterColor and Seaside, where they are constructing the public parking lot. That gravel they laid down may be passible for good mountain biker, but not for the average user of the path in that area, who happen to be people who don't ride bikes often and are on beach cruisers with children in tow or on their own bikes. Sure, the construction company placed a detour sign at each end of the construction along the bike path, but they never warned the motorists that due to the crappy detour surface, that inexperience bikers would be traveling in the opposite direction from the cars, in the same 10ft width of heavily traveled road.

I will also note that when the construction guys put up the detour signs or path closed signs, they typically do so right at the place of construction and that makes most bikers have to go across loose sand, grass, or gravel to make alternate routes, and if you are on a road bike, you get screwed.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I vote for FEWER signs in SoWal (excepting temporary safety signs).

The arguments for permanent signs are usually increased safety, and increased useability and recognition of tourism. I believe more signs accomplish neither. They are not a sign (pun intended) of progress but rather, pollution.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
...and I vote for fewer SOWAL stickers that seem to be stuck everywhere on public property. Talk about visual pollution...
I'm almost positive your boys would never stick one on a piece of gov't property. ;-) You don't seriously think that Kurt is encouraging people to stick the SoWal stickers onto public property, do you?

Personally, I don't think that installing signs will work at getting drivers to stop prior to the multi-use path. I see signs everywhere, and most are ignored. Yesterday, I noticed for the first time a sign on the window at Publix in WaterColor, warning would be thieves that the manager doesn't know have access to the safe when he or she is not on duty. Come on, give me a break. How many criminals take time to read signs like that? I've been shopping there since they opened, and I just now saw that sign. I had also driven along hwy 98 for a long time before I ever noticed the sign stating that a particular stretch of the highway was kept clean thanks to John R and friends.

Last edited:

Terp22

Beach Comber
Sep 10, 2007
Just so you know these sign will replace the old worn useless ones and have a common theme and were done with citizen input and discussion (many volunteer hours) -I think you will change your mind once you see them. You can see a booklet at Big Daddy's bike shop with all them in living color. These are not regular highway signs but are done by a professional company and actually look good besides being functional

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
If it'll help educate people to keep more people safe I think it's grayt. :clap: Thanks to the volunteers. :clap: I'm sure they'll be professional cuz of all the restrictions. :cool: They'll have to be low profile anyhow.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Just so you know these sign will replace the old worn useless ones and have a common theme and were done with citizen input and discussion (many volunteer hours) -I think you will change your mind once you see them. You can see a booklet at Big Daddy's bike shop with all them in living color. These are not regular highway signs but are done by a professional company and actually look good besides being functional

Thanks for posting. I do not mean to disrespect anyone's work. Signs are a sign of progress. I love our bike path.

Maybe I am already worried about all the political signs getting ready to appear everywhere again. :sosad: