My insurance renewal up 300% !

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Mango, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Mango

Mango SoWal Insider

I just received word today that our wind and hail policy on my townhome, which is attached, and we have a comercial policy, is being raised 300% on our renewal.
    I am quite ill right now:puke:

I read about all the increases and e-mailed our managing agent if he had received any word yet, since I need to prepare the budget for next year, yes, beat me over the head, I am treasurer, and he replied this morning.

Wonder how long he knew before telling me?

Sad too, because we have 2 owners that just moved in as primary residents, and we certainly can not take the risk of insuring each unit individually.

2. bdc63

bdc63 Beach Fanatic

YIKES ... I don't even know what to say.

Who is the insurance company? It will be interesting to see what kind of profits they report for the third quarter ... in fact, maybe that is your revenge -- buy their stock!

3. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I wonder if everything would be alright if we all just avoided opening that which has become known as the dreaded mailbox. :scratch: No tax bill, no non-renewed insurance news, no increased rates news, no bills of any sort. What if everyone just refused to pay any bill again? :doh: Wait, how would I make money if I couldn't send out bills? Cancel that thought.

4. Mango

Mango SoWal Insider

Geez, SJ, I was sick enough, now I have to look at that tar? what is it? EEEW

5. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

That was a fresh Apalachicola Raw Oyster sitting on a pile of 50 empty shells. :wub:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  6. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

YUMMY!!!!!!! I want some!!!!!

7. TooFarTampa

TooFarTampa SoWal Insider

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my hear
    :puke: in sympathy, Mango. :sosad:

Even if your imagination had gone wild, I am sure that is far worse than anything that crossed your mind.

8. Mango

Mango SoWal Insider

You ate all that yourself? :lol:

It doesn't renew till February, so we have time to look around.
    Another Board member who handles the insurance, thinks I am over-reacting, and that if we have no hurricanes this season, the insurance companies will re-balance themselves This he says he has heard from many agents. :blink:

I think otherwise.

9. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

It doesn't mean anything yet, but tell that person to check out what could potentially become Hurricane Ernesto.

10. laurawood

laurawood Beach Lover

my double wide trailer was insured at $30,000 for $120 a month. The insurance company has notified me that it will be double or triple to renew. $360 dollars a month for insurance on a double wide in defuniak. They have got to be kidding me. Well, please no one set my house on fire because it no longer can be insured unless a money tree starts growing out back!!!!!

11. hutch

hutch Beach Lover

Good Reason to Vote;

Please go and vote in the upcoming elections. See where your candidate stands on insurance issues. If he or she getting big donations from the big insurance company look out:D

SJ- Do you not know that you living in a great country that does not required people to pay their bills. Buy everything and transfer all of your assets to some one else and file for bankruptcy. I see this everyday. Makes me wonder why I am paying my bills on time or even working. Do not get me wrong some people have no choice but to file bankruptcy due to health or other reasons, but some just what to get out of debt the easy way and not have to pay for the toys they bought.

just a thought

the hutch

12. SHELLY

SHELLY SoWal Insider

INSURANCE COMPANIES SHOWER FLORIDA POLITICIANS WITH DONATIONS

"While some candidates criticize the law as an industry sellout, Florida's top insurance regulators, such as state Chief Financial Officer Tom Gallagher, a Republican running for governor, say it was just the start of a solution. His 2006 gubernatorial campaign has received at least $379,000 in donations from the insurance industry. Only the Republican and Democratic state parties and Bush's gubernatorial campaigns have received more money from the state's insurers than Gallagher has taken in for his 2006 race for governor."

13. laurawood

laurawood Beach Lover

a good reason to vote for a third party candidate! Get rid of all the democrats & republicans.....................the government is way too corrupt.

14. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

:wub: :clap_1: :roll:

15. pmd8

pmd8 Beach Lover

If at all possible, put the money you would pay for premiums into a cd or money market account and become self-insured. My hurricane damage in South Florida and the Panhandle has always been less than the 10% deductible. It's a definite gamble but if you are faithful about paying into the account you will generally come out ahead. Of course if you have a 100% loss next year I take it all back.

I've gone bare for several years. I would continue with liability insurance however as it is relatively cheap.

16. Mango

Mango SoWal Insider

Interesting thought. My husband and I were talking about that the other day.

17. bsmart

bsmart brain

[​IMG]

Note that this image was created by someone on September 14, 2004, Ivan struck on the 16th on the AL/FL border. Then Jeanne came along following a path similar to that of Frances.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  18. bsmart

bsmart brain

Also another note on the accuracy of the map above. The author has the Lower Keys as being a separate entity from that of Monroe County, of which they are part of. So, while in theory the author could have found out if Keys residents preferred Bush over Gore, most public records would have displayed this information on a county by county basis.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  19. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

Selfish, yeah, but I am personally very glad that wasn't the path Ivan actually took. :shock:

20. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

You got that right ShallowsNole. No wonder people think we got hit by Ivan and still don't have beaches or rentals.