Nature Walk Beach Club at Seagrove Villas Motel

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Here4Good, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Here4Good

Here4Good Beach Fanatic

A judge decides that Walton County Commisson violated its own zoning when it approved replacing Seagrove Villas with the Nature Walk Beach club:

In Walton, judge sides with development opponents | seagrove, county, beach - News - Northwest Florida Daily News

I went to the meeting when they approved this, and I think that they approved it in spite of staff recommendations that it should be denied due to non-compliance.

I do remember Scott Brannon saying that the zoning was "unclear" and "vague" and that the vote was unanimous. I read the zoning myself, and a six-year old could have understood that it was means to grandfather in the commercial use for Seagrove Villas, and made it clear that if the existing buildings were torn down that any new construction should either fit the existing footprint or revert to the residential density of the surrounding property.

Not that it matters, though, since Nature Walk....walked.

2. GoodWitch58

GoodWitch58 Beach Fanatic

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  3. Santiago

Santiago Beach Fanatic

My name is Scott Brannon and I am not smarter than a 6 year old. Where's Jeff Foxworthy when you need him?

4. TooFarTampa

TooFarTampa SoWal Insider

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my hear
    What really stinks is that the Seagrove owners had to waste so much of their time and money to get this ruling when the outcome was clear to anyone who took the time to look into it. The story didn't say, but I hope the county is responsible for their attorney's fees! And if so -- Nice use of taxpayer dollars bozos!

5. Tommy's girl

Tommy's girl Beach Crab

Tommy's Girl

:funn::floor:Can you tell me if Camp Creek Golf course is still private?

6. Tommy's girl

Tommy's girl Beach Crab

tommy's girl

thank you a million times over....

7. JUL

JUL Beach Fanatic

Wouldn't it be grayt if someone just restored them to their original state. Keep them retro just like the airstream in seaside. A little retro is what makes so wal so grayt

8. JUL

JUL Beach Fanatic

or sell each room to an individual

9. DD

DD SoWal Expert

I know someone who'd be thrilled.

10. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

So the Judge finally said what a handfull of us who have taken time to read the Land Use Code, have been saying ever since this came up? Perfect. I love how prompt gov't can be.

Let me throw out a what-if. What if Nature Walk had completely sold out (we are pretending here, so bare with me), knowing that they would have that beach club (Seagrove Villas currently). Wind forward to now, when the judge says, oh, hail no! What would all of those people who bought do? They would file suit against the County, get their money back, and the County would now own Nature Walk, and we could make it a public park. (sarcasm off).

As TFT, it is as clear as black and white in the Code, but the Commissioners chose to ignore that fact. I'm not surprised since former County Attorney, George Miller, was representing NatureWalk, which should be a legal no-no, in my humble opinion. Furthermore, I think the County Commissioners should be forced to read the Code and take test, with a passing grade of an 80% for a minimum requirement. Maybe that should happen to weed out any candidates BEFORE the election. I know of at least three times when I've heard several Commissioners be surprised to learn about a part of the Code.

Here4Good, thanks for posting the article.

11. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Thanks for the info!

I agree. But I imagine that the homeowners nearby would rather have single family dwellings there.

Thank goodness we didn't have to go that far to stop the proposed high-density development next to us. After many continuances and going back to the Planning Department, the BCC voted in favor of our neighborhood.

12. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I wonder if they have changed the listing info in the MLS yet.

13. hnooe

hnooe Beach Fanatic

God, I have always thought that exact thought!! A total Grayton retro experience.

14. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

Yes. Open to members and guests of various St. Joe properties.

15. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

Our neighborhood is just starting the process of fighting a developer who wants to put condos, etc in our neighborhood of single family homes. Land he bought is platted for storm water run-off from surrounding area but is trying to get changes made. So far TRC has seemed to agree and is going to the Planning Comm. next. We may need a lawyer. Who rep. people at Seagrove Villas or your neighborhood?

16. BeachSteelers

BeachSteelers Beach Fanatic

We're drinking Tampagne over this Judge's ability to read and ADHERE to the Law. Thanks to those who helped the Cause! Justice isn't cheap or quick.
    Remember those who can't do Teach, those that can't Teach...Govern.
    And for our County CommiZars who new what they were doing while still claiming ignorance... Did the Naturewalk/Olsen Check bounce or were you all paid off in Lots?

17. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Beach Fanatic

Both attorneys are named in the Daily News article. George Ralph Miller, a former Walton County attorney, represented Nature Walk. And Gary Vorbeck, also a former Walton County attorney, represented the neighborhood. :shock:
    Where is this project you speak of? Hasn't anyone told the developer the condo market isn't so great these days? :roll:

18. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

As to the bold.

This person ran unopposed in the last election. Where was the outrage then?

For full disclosure purposes I would just like to point out that I thought this proposed development was crap from the get go and the commissioner in question probably can't tie his own shoes.

19. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    I'll PM you. Ironically Vorbeck represented the developer in our case.:dunno: