• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Sounds good, but not for $55 million. Too much money in the infrastructure and acquisition by Olsen to make it affordable as park land, with additional funds needed to make it a park.

I don't know the layout well enough to understand how acquisition of the land for a new road would help, but perhaps the property is large enough for both uses, and who said anyone had to pay $55 million?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I'm guessing the lender will have a say, and even at 30-40% off what the seller owes the bank, it would still be too pricey. I have no idea what dirt road DuneLaker is referring to. My guess is that it is one of the many roads in the State Forest, and the only way to help traffic flow on 30A is to make the parallel road extend the length of 30A, or stop additional density increases for all of SoWal.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
I'm guessing the lender will have a say, and even at 30-40% off what the seller owes the bank, it would still be too pricey. I have no idea what dirt road DuneLaker is referring to. My guess is that it is one of the many roads in the State Forest, and the only way to help traffic flow on 30A is to make the parallel road extend the length of 30A, or stop additional density increases for all of SoWal.

Where is that rumored "flyover" from the airport to Seagrove supposed to go? I always wondered this.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
IIRC, the construction traffic at time did use one of the dirt roads in the state forest to get access to parts of the NW property. I can remember seeing construction trucks directed that way last year when we were trying the Subaru's AWD out on the forest roads.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
TFT, if the flyover to which you are referring is the roadway, not a flyover, it is proposed to go directly through St Joe property, and align with Side Camp Road, flowing into what I call Camp Creek Golf Course Rd, which is really called WaterSound Pkwy.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
This, IMO, would be a great alternative route and greatly reduce the congestion at 395 and 30A. It was also enhance the safety for all the walkers, bikers, etc. at that intersection -- not to mention vehicular safety for those who must travel that way to get home or work or play. Half is already paved (the San Juan portion). The construction road was used by Nature Walk. To check this out: Off of 30A turn north on San Juan and follow north until it ends at Barcelona. Look thru fence to see East - West Road. Then, from 30A turn north on 395. Between the bank and the WaterColor sign you see a gate and a sign that reads "Nature Walk Public Vehicular and Pedestrian Traffic is Prohibited" No purchase from Nature Walk may be necessary. It might already be public road/easement. Would have to check that out.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Unfortunately we may never know. The PA's website doesn't show who owns that property. It is a seperate property (according to the PA's website) from the state forrest or WC.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
the benefits of congestion on 30a?? well, I can tell you from experience that it encourages us to leave our minivan in park the whole time we're there... bike to watercolor publix, bike to modica for some wine or cheese, bike to goatfeathers for some fish, bike to bud and alley's for a couple drinks, watch sunset, rinse, repeat.
Will New Urbanism's ideals ever have a fighting chance, if at the first inconvenience of cars, we built bypasses, byways, flyways to speed and ease the use of the auto?? Maybe we should put an elevated freeway through Seaside so we can do 65mph on the way to the redbar

just posing the quesiton for discussion... not preaching.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The "bypass" in question would only benefit the 395 intersection and Seagrove. Seaside doesn't really work into this equation.

The new urbanism concept generally doesn't revolve around a major road running thru the development. Remember when Seaside was first built you could lay out in the middle of 30A all day and move once for a passing car.