• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
Speaking of sweet dogs, I saw a sad sight last weekend that broke my heart. On the drive down to Seagrove last Saturday we stopped to gas up at a corner gas station on 78 in Jasper. Three medium sized dogs (part black labs) were walking around the gas pumps greeting people; two of them were females who had obviously recently given birth, but the pups were no where in site. Assuming they belonged to the gas station owners, I walked inside and asked about them. The attendants said they'd been dropped off weeks ago and just hung around the area. They said they feed them as much as possible and sometimes the dogs wander over to a nearby WalMart for food. I asked why no one had called a dog shelter; the attendants looked at me as if I'd said somethine terrible! They said a local humane shelter came by once to try to pick them up but the dogs ran away so they gave up. Not sure I believe that story, because one of the attendants then said if they were picked up by a dog shelter they'd be put to sleep. I bought a couple of bags of beef jerky for the dogs and went outside to check on them again. I noticed one of them walk around to the side of the building so I followed her. I was absolutely stunned by what I saw! There were at least a dozen dogs, several of them injured, just lying in the grass. When they saw me with the beef jerky all but one of them headed towards me hungrily! They quickly snatched the beef jerky from me. They were amazingly well-behaved..none of them jumped on me, but rather waited for me to toss the jerky to them. I tried to walk over to one who was lying in the grass, but she was obviously too sick to want to eat. One of the attendants who'd followed me outdoors said she'd been hit by a car a couple of days ago and had injured her leg. A couple of others had obvious previous hip and leg injuries; one of the dogs had a broken jaw but a sweet personality and seemed to be eating fine. She didn't appear to be in pain. I felt helpless at that moment. The attendant repeated that they were feeding the dogs and giving them water and didn't want to see the dogs put to sleep. I replied that I understood that, but it would be much more humane than watching these poor dogs starve to death and continue to suffer from injuries because they continue to run out between vehicles! I drove to WalMart and grabbed a bag of food and took it back for the dogs; I also gave the attendant some money and she promised to buy more food for the dogs. I left with a sick feeling not knowing what else to do. On our drive back on Tuesday afternoon, I stopped by the station with more food and treats for the dogs. This time I only saw 4 of them, and there was food and water next to the building. None of them seemed too hungry, so I left the treats for them. I'm sure the rest of the pack was out scavaging somewhere nearby.

I can't stop thinking about these animals. I know the gas station attendants mean well, but these dogs are very much in harms way....they have such sweet faces..I hate to think of what will happen to them. The gas station is so busy with vehicles flying in and out. I asked about the puppies and was told they were last seen in a field behind the gas station.

Anyone have any ideas of what I should have done/should do? I'm back in St. Louis now, but I feel guilty over just walking away from a sad situation like this. Surely the local police are aware of the situation - it's impossible to miss in this small town!:dunno:

Last edited by a moderator:

grace

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2007
here & now
Maybe you could google rescue orgs. in Jasper. Not sure if that's in AL or FL. Call the Alaqua animal rescue and ask for advice. (see the 'dilemma' thread for the number)

Last edited:

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Maybe you could google rescue orgs. in Jasper. Not sure if that's in AL or FL. Call the Alaqua animal rescue and ask for advice. (see the 'dilemma' thread for the number)

We go through Jasper on the way down to the beach. It is in Alabama and is on Hwy 78. From the way those dogs ate up that beef jerky it doesn't much sound like they were being fed by the attendants at the gas station at that time. Poor dogs. I think the same way when I see dogs out on a busy highway. :sosad:

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
CARE 267-3123(this will be a home) and Animal Rescue 880-6399, Lori Hood is the contact person.

What is the area code? Ladydebubba is right - it's Jasper Alabama. Thanks both so much for your advice. I'll make the calls first thing tomorrow morning.

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
We go through Jasper on the way down to the beach. It is in Alabama and is on Hwy 78. From the way those dogs ate up that beef jerky it doesn't much sound like they were being fed by the attendants at the gas station at that time. Poor dogs. I think the same way when I see dogs out on a busy highway. :sosad:

You're right about the location ladyd....it's on 78, about 4 miles south of where you turn off of the new 78 back onto the old 78. It's a Raceway gas station right on the corner to your right as you make the turn.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I have no idea where Jasper is..or where Highway 78 is...not familiar with that area at all; but, if there is a newspaper or radio or TV station, then have someone take a photo, email it to the local press and ask them to do a story on the staring, injured dogs...that shoudl get the attention of local folks who could help.

grace

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2007
here & now
CARE 267-3123(this will be a home) and Animal Rescue 880-6399, Lori Hood is the contact person.
This is a local number (850).
I was suggesting you call and explain all of this to these people, who may know of rescue orgs. in Jasper.

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
The area code is 205.

The city website: http://www.jaspercity.com/

Thanks for the link! I found a number for Walker County Humane Society and an organization called TEARS (it's an emergency animal rescue for central Alabama). I'm getting ready to call them. Thanks again all for your advice. I can't get those dogs out of my mind and I feel like I need to do something.