• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Monday afternoon, my Border Collie, Sarge, passed away suddenly. I came home. let him and his little sis out back for about ten minutes and then went to call them in and he had a massive seizure in front of me and passed away right when I turned my truck off in front of Freeport Pet Clinic. It all happened in under an hour and his little sis and I are still in shock.

I would first like to thank Dr. Barr and his staff at the Freeport Pet Clinic. They intubated him and gave him a shot directly in his heart and tried to resuscitate him, but his heart would not start back. I know they did everything a Doc would do for a human to try and save him, but we believe he threw a clot and had a massive stroke/seaziure. He had just had a clean bill of health almost a month before. He was 84 in Doggie years and played like a puppy right up untill the moment he seizied. We miss him terribly and our house is way too quite without him.

First, I'd like to say, hug your pets, friends and family today. Make those phone calls you have been putting off cuz you're too busy. Life can change in a matter of moments. Shyann is grieveing, just like me. She has never been without him, save for the three weeks she stayed at the vets and even then I took Sarge to visit her. I really don't know what to do for her right now except give her lots of love, but she just wants to sleep, and it's worring me.

She is not the most sociable pup and does not suffer fools easily, but I am thinking about trying to find her a companion, so she will not grieve herself to death. I really don't want to make things worse, either. If you have been in this situation, what did you do?

Please say a prayer for Sarge and us and please no sympathy rep for this post.
Sarge was in my mind, what every dog should be. He was a compainon, protector, jester and full time family member. May he rest in peace and may all dogs be as loved and cared for as he was.

Sarge RIP 9-28-96---8-18-08
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I would give Laurie a call at the Alaqua Animal Refuge.

Maybe a doggie play date could be arranged to help perk Shyann up and find her a new buddy.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
RIP Sarge. aleonard, Sarge was blessed to have a wonderful life with you and he passed quickly without suffering. Time will heal your grief and probably Shyann's too. Give it some time before you get another dog, unless God drops one in your lap. I'm thinking and praying for you, Shyann and Sarge.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
My aunt always had 2 dogs and when one died we would lend her our dog to keep the remaining dog company. It's hard for them to go from a fur buddy 24/7 to no buddy so time w/ a dog they know can help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I am so sorry to hear about Sarge-your love for him came out in your post, and thanks for the words that we all need to hear more often.

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
I lost my cat Gizmo last year while at my parents who had other dogs. Sunshine (my avatar) is a rescue with severe anxiety that got worse after we got back home and I would leave her alone when I went out. I've been wrestling with it for months because I take the adoption of a pet seriously and it's lifetime committment that I'm not sure I can make right now. ( I'm hoping to do a couple of years of full time sailing and 2 dogs on a boat would be tough.)

My gameplan is to foster a pup until a forever home is found. My concerns there are the attachment and then detachment for Sunshine when the foster finds a home. In your position, if you are able to be the forever home for another dog, maybe the foster arrangement can help you find the right fit for Shyann.

Thank you for your reminder to savor the love while we have it. I wish everyone would do that. All my best Aleonard, you're a good soul.

hnooe

Beach Fanatic
Jul 21, 2007
For the reasons that only YOU can understand, and due to the increased frequency of my 13 yr old Border Collie Mamie's onslaught of recent seizures, you cannot see me right now but I am absolutely immobolized and moved with emotion by your thread. I have never cried over a post, this is the first. Thanks for sharing.

And just remember aleo, in Doggie Heaven, Border Collies, are the one organizing the queue to get in!!!!!!:wave:

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
For the reasons that only YOU can understand, and due to the increased frequency of my 13 yr old Border Collie Mamie's onslaught of recent seizures, you cannot see me right now but I am absolutely immobolized and moved with emotion by your thread. I have never cried over a post, this is the first. Thanks for sharing.

And just remember aleo, in Doggie Heaven, Border Collies, are the one organizing the queue to get in!!!!!!:wave:

You just made me laugh and cry and the same time, over your last sentance. Thank you, hon.:love:

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Oh, A- I'm so so sorry for your loss. :sosad:
I was wondering where you were this week as I had not seen you post. I would let your puppy grieve a little bit and give yourself some time too. Take her to the bark park for some funn with other dogs and when you're both ready, I'll bet your Sarge will send you another buddy to love. When my rott died last year, a week later a friend we had not seen in a while stopped by (he didn't know about our dog dying) and he was looking for someone to take a Rott that was going to be displaced. I was not ready but I look at it like T-bone sent him to us. :blush:

Take care, girl. All dogs go to Heaven...

Cheering472

SoWal Insider
Nov 3, 2005
I'm so very sorry. I know exactly how you feel. I still tear up thinking about my border collie Lucy. Sarge sounded wonderful. :love: You are in my thoughts.

I'd give Shyann some extra attention (for you as well as her), and some dog park visits before I brought another animal in. Increase her walks if you can. Time will help, keep your heart open to another dog. You'll know when it's right.