• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Definitely don't wash Sarge's bedding. We never washed John's and it's still out. Rudy will many times go over to it, sniff it and even lay down on it. It's so sweet.

He even assumed some of John's favorite sleeping spots, where as before, he had never attempted to.

When a little beige pup walks by outside, Rudy yips and whines at the window, comes to get me, thinking that it might possibly be John. :sosad: Even after 2 1/2 years. But in all honesty, he has enjoyed being an "only dog." He gets ALL of the attention.

See how Shyann does after a few weeks. If she's still mopey, start thinking about another little friend for her.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
My poor dear wonderful doggie mommy. I am so sorry for you and Shyann. :cry: But I know without a doubt that Sarge had the best, most loving and happy doggie life that any pup could have.

My .02 on another dog: We have a 9 year old shepherd mix (the original Miss Critter), who was raised with my then-geriatric cat, and was most definitely anti-social with other dogs. Once Max went to kitty heaven at age 18, I thought we were done. Miss Critter was semi-old and grumpy and I thought the last thing she would appreciate would be another dog. Well, last September Mr. Critter had a lab puppy sort of dumped in his lap. He was at a gas station when this young guy comes in the store and asks if anyone wants a lab puppy because he's moving and can't take it with him. My husband, the softie, made the ultimate mistake of "taking a look" (for God's sake, who can resist a puppy, especially one who's future looks grim?) and as they say, the rest is history. And here's the totally unexpected part. After a few days of feigning disinterest and dislike, Miss Critter has "adopted" her little brother and loves him. They roll around together, chase each other, he nibbles her neck. They are, to quote Forrest Gump, like peas and carrots. Take all the time you need to heal, but know that when the time is right, Sarge will send his successor to you and Shyann.

Sending healing thoughts go out to you both.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
I do advise you to wait. She is missing Sarge but alot with dogs is about what we are doing. As you begin to heal so will Shyann. A new dog might be more stress than either of you need right now.

The play dates sound like a great idea. That way she gets to socialize with other dogs she is not familiar with, which if you ever do decide to bring a new dog into your family, she will be more accepting.

Just continue as you are, surrounding her with lots of attention and love.

Hugs to both of you.
grouphug.gif

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
My poor dear wonderful doggie mommy. I am so sorry for you and Shyann. :cry: But I know without a doubt that Sarge had the best, most loving and happy doggie life that any pup could have.

My .02 on another dog: We have a 9 year old shepherd mix (the original Miss Critter), who was raised with my then-geriatric cat, and was most definitely anti-social with other dogs. Once Max went to kitty heaven at age 18, I thought we were done. Miss Critter was semi-old and grumpy and I thought the last thing she would appreciate would be another dog. Well, last September Mr. Critter had a lab puppy sort of dumped in his lap. He was at a gas station when this young guy comes in the store and asks if anyone wants a lab puppy because he's moving and can't take it with him. My husband, the softie, made the ultimate mistake of "taking a look" (for God's sake, who can resist a puppy, especially one who's future looks grim?) and as they say, the rest is history. And here's the totally unexpected part. After a few days of feigning disinterest and dislike, Miss Critter has "adopted" her little brother and loves him. They roll around together, chase each other, he nibbles her neck. They are, to quote Forrest Gump, like peas and carrots. Take all the time you need to heal, but know that when the time is right, Sarge will send his successor to you and Shyann.

Sending healing thoughts go out to you both.

Oh my! This is about the sweetest post I've read in a long time! :love:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Oh my! This is about the sweetest post I've read in a long time! :love:

Yes, I thought so as well. It's funny how things work out at times.
AL, so sorry for your loss. Sarge looked like one cool dog and I'm glad y'all had the time you did together.

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
:cry:

I'm so very sorry Aleonard. I know what a very special furbaby he was. You and Shyann are in my thoughts and prayers.

I know Shyann is not very social with other dogs, but perhaps next week you could bring her to our doggie park and see if she likes Sweetie who is a VERY laid back dog...ok...ok...she is flat out lazy, but she likes to go to the park. Perhaps hnoooo(whatever) could bring his social border collie to play. Let me know we will arrange a play date.

:rotfl: If the other pooches can take the glaring sideways looks :rofl:. Only kidding, Sweetie is always the perfect host when Sunny comes in and takes over her bed. :love: Like mommy, like Sweetie!

Thank you everyone for your post. We will try very hard to make a play date BB and HN. I think, as many posters said, we are going to wait awhile, and let her enjoy the attention of being an only child right now. We had a doggie/mom spa day today. She got her hair and nails did and got a bubble bath before getting some grilled chicken tenders and is now napping.

I'm not going to wash his bedding, because I want her to be able to still smell him. I, like Cork, believe adoption is a life long thing and if we do decide to do it later, it will be a pup in her age range that needs a home. Thank you all for the suggestions. They helped balance me right now in this time, and I needed that.

Love you guys.

AL.

You're very wise AL. I would be interested in knowing if anyone has experience in attachments between dogs and mature cats. Sunny's need for attention is getting worse and I think she needs a companion more everyday. Cats are often kind of aloof (especially if they didn't grow up together) and I don't know if that will fill her need for somebody to slobber all over her :lol:. I know Sunshine really took to LATB's Lola and that may be our only option but I'm also considering a mature cat. Kittens have no problem getting homes but finding homes for all the mature kitties is much harder. Anybody bring one into a home with a needy (it's all about her) dog?

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Oh honey, I'm sorry. I knew I should have checked this thread last night. :blush:

I agree with what a lot of the other posters have said - maybe some play dates before just running out and getting another dog. Take your cues from her.

You and Shyann will be in our prayers - :love:

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Oh honey, I'm sorry. I knew I should have checked this thread last night. :blush:

I agree with what a lot of the other posters have said - maybe some play dates before just running out and getting another dog. Take your cues from her.

You and Shyann will be in our prayers - :love:

She seems to be doing a little better today. She's not waiting by the gate and looking for him today and she went out back with me where it happened and seems to be doing her own thing. Plus, with the bad weather coming in she'll be in my bed all weekend. We are just going to take it easy and try some play dates:love: and then if Sarge see's fit to send us an addition, then we will accept it as a sign that it's time to move forward. She and her mortal enemy Chloe cat have also called a truce for the time being and are being nice to each other, so maybe they can be some company for each other, as well. Thank you everyone for the kind words and emails. It helped more than you know.:wave:

Al

Last edited: