• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I grow a little bored with breakfast and am seeking some new ideas to work into my diet (daily intake, not weight watcher's) which are 1) Healthy and filling, 2) Tasty & 3) Easy and quick to prepare.

I would like to avoid meat and dairy products and include whole grain fiber.

Any suggestions? :dunno:

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood
Smiling JOe said:
I grow a little bored with breakfast and am seeking some new ideas to work into my diet (daily intake, not weight watcher's) which are 1) Healthy and filling, 2) Tasty & 3) Easy and quick to prepare.

I would like to avoid meat and dairy products and include whole grain fiber.

Any suggestions? :dunno:
I have this oatmeal I eat. It's that Kashi oatmeal. And it's the Rasin Spice flavor. It's so good. I used to hate oatmeal, but I eat that and I'm not hungry until about 1. I also love cottage cheese with pepper, but that may be too bland for you. Peanut butter on a whole wheat english muffin is good too. Or eggwhites on a whole wheat english muffin.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Oatmeal is a great idea. I like the McCann's Irish Oatmeal that I can buy at Trader Joe's (Kimmi, you should try it too!). It bears no resemblance whatsoever to the Quaker Oats. Not even in the same ballpark. It tastes good by itself but if you want to be extra healthy, add in almonds and/or dried or fresh fruit. Carrying on with the oatmeal idea, home-made granola is also good, easy to make, and so much better for you than that boxed crap they sell in the groceries.

Fruit cup, made the night before for convenience sake, is a good addition to any meal. Goes without saying. If you can stand a bit of yogurt, make your own fruit smoothie--fruit, fruit juice of your choice, 3 tablespoons or more of yogurt, and a few ice cubes. The variations you can make are endless. You wouldn't get bored. Plus, you can mix in some high fiber cereal to beef up the smoothie.

Quick-cooking grits are a nice change of pace for breakfast and are no trouble to prepare.

Peanut butter sandwich with different toppings--jam, honey, Nutella, for example, on whole-wheat bread makes a good breakfast, with fruit on the side.

Smiling JOe, the internet is also full of breakfast ideas. Everyone loves reading about food!

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch
Mermaid said:
Oatmeal is a great idea. I like the McCann's Irish Oatmeal that I can buy at Trader Joe's (Kimmi, you should try it too!). It bears no resemblance whatsoever to the Quaker Oats.
Steel cut oatmeal! What Oprah eats. Enough said.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Thanks for the tips thus far. I guess I should disclose my current breakfast lists.

Fruit Smoothies - they are great and I can vary them greatly, but I am getting bored with them because I make them most often, sometimes even for a light dinner.

Occasionally, I will have grits (but I am allergic to corn so I don't eat them often. They also leave me feeling hungry after only two hours.)

Sometimes, I fan fry two egg whites and serve on dry whole grain toast with light salt and pepper or salsa. Unfortunately for my body, I add bacon to that recipe and that is not good for my heart.

Fruits are good, but I usually just add them to my smoothies.

The cereal/oatmeal thing is something I may explore, but only if I can find ones without loads of sugar, sodium while consisting of only whole grains, all while being tasty. Mostly I try to avoid the grains as a large part of my meals because I am allergic to most(thanks, Mom for not breast feeding me :bang: ). Anything other than whole grains do not fill me and leave me with food cravings.

I will search online, but I thought I would check ideas with the town of SoWal first. ;-)

I am still accepting other ideas.

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood
Smiley J...you would crap on yourself if you went to Trader Joe's. You would be in hog hippy heaven. Even I love it and I'm not miss organic. Well I am kinda turning that way! :rotfl:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I love BLT's for breakfast. And cold pizza. And cold spaghetti. And cold leftover Chinese food. Oops- this is the healthy breakfast thread, huh?

Quaker has a new instant oatmeal- low sugar, maple brown sugar flavor. It has become a habit.

The protein Special K is good if doctored up- fruit, splenda, cinnamon.

My doc recommends the plain lowfat yogurt mixed with Splenda and a little vanilla- it's not bad. Good for wimmens too.

Whole grain bread or bagel with turkey. I eat this in the car alot.