• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Our three-year-old dishwasher had to be replaced the second week of July due to damage by a renter (they apparently either sat or fell on the door). I just got a call from the rental company saying that renters had bent the latch on the new one so that it wouldn't lock when closed and thus wouldn't turn on. I'm in shock.

The rental company was able to bend the latch so that the door would lock, but now that the metal was weakened by being bent, you know this problem is going to happen again and again.

I went online and read some customer complaints about KitchenAid dishwashers. Apparently if the door is slammed, the latch can be bent. I don't want an appliance that's so delicate that it won't hold up to three weeks of renters.

I'm going to ask the appliance store if they'll replace it with another brand. My guess is that they won't do it, but if they do, any suggestions? All I need is a renter-proof one with a stainless steel door that runs quietly and doesn't cost a boatload of money.

In the meantime, should I charge the renters for the service call? They had to have been pretty rough on the dishwasher to bend the metal latch, considering that it is brand new and has no wear on it.

:bang:

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
i dont know what to say but.....

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

or maybe make the renters wash their own dishes...:D (jk)

Unplugged

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2005
Sorry to hear this BR - boy, it seems like you have received a lot of damage this season! :dunno:

This isn't the answer you want to hear - but if this happened to us, I would not charge the guests. This falls under 'not-so-normal' wear and tear/ cost of doing business IMO.

We are die-hard Kenmore/ Sears customers. They sell most major brands in all price ranges and designs. On the rare occasion that we have needed a service call, all it takes is one phone call and they are there for us - always on time and professional.

If that new dishwasher came from Sears, I think they might consider the bent latch a possible warranty item...

amylouky

Beach Lover
Jul 7, 2005
Louisville, KY
I have to agree.. if it was malicious or negligent damage that was done, I'd be all for charging the renter. This sounds like an accident, though.
Maybe you have a model that is confusing to latch, so they tried to force it?
And I second the Sears recommendation.. my mom has always bought from them, and they stand behind their appliances.
Good luck!

I don't know if it's confusing to latch. I've never even seen this dishwasher (our old model is no longer available). We had to handle everything via phone because we had to do things quickly. I mean, I didn't want our guests to have to hand wash dishes on their vacation! My only contact with this dishwasher is paying $752 for it on my Visa. The last time we were at our beach home was July 1.

If it's like the other one, to lock it you just close the door and press. There's no external latch.

I've always heard that Kenmore makes a good product. But the place where we bought both dishwashers doesn't sell Kenmore, so IF they let us trade it out, we'll have to pick a brand they carry. I've heard Bosch is good, but I won't know until Monday if they carry that brand.

As far as charging the renters, we have or will pay (as soon as we can find someone to do the repairs) for all of the other damage this summer, so why should we start a new trend? We're very frustrated. :bang:

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
I'm so sorry you are dealing with this BR.

I would recommend a low-end Bosch. They are quiet and reliable machines, better than the Kitchenaid. The only thing is the Euro machines like Bosch really do rely on the rinse agent to dry them properly, and you can't depend on your renters or your management company to refill the rinse agent when it needs to be done, even if you keep a big bottle on hand. But if you are able to make it down every couple of months, it shouldn't be a big deal. Otherwise -- Bosch is a great choice. I've had three. (Different houses!) Maytag and Frigidaire are evil. Stay away. I hate our Frigidaire at the beach house.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
We've got the low end Bosch, and I love it! Excellent at getting dishes washed, and extremely quiet as well. (our kitchen opens up to our living room, so we really notice the noise difference) You can probably get around the rinse agent refill problem by leaving the renters a box of 3-in-1 dishwasher tablets that already contain the rinse agent rather than using normal powder. We get good results that way, and I don't think renters would appropriate dishwasher tabs too often.

bsmart

brain
Aug 19, 2005
Atlanta, GA.
Beach Runner said:
I don't know if it's confusing to latch. I've never even seen this dishwasher (our old model is no longer available). We had to handle everything via phone because we had to do things quickly. I mean, I didn't want our guests to have to hand wash dishes on their vacation! My only contact with this dishwasher is paying $752 for it on my Visa. The last time we were at our beach home was July 1.

If it's like the other one, to lock it you just close the door and press. There's no external latch.

I've always heard that Kenmore makes a good product. But the place where we bought both dishwashers doesn't sell Kenmore, so IF they let us trade it out, we'll have to pick a brand they carry. I've heard Bosch is good, but I won't know until Monday if they carry that brand.

As far as charging the renters, we have or will pay (as soon as we can find someone to do the repairs) for all of the other damage this summer, so why should we start a new trend? We're very frustrated. :bang:

My mom just bought all new Kenmore Elite series appliances for our condo earlier this year. I beleive you can only buy Kenmore at Sears stores. My mom and dad got our's from the Sears at the Santa Rosa Mall up in Mary Esther. They are awesome and sleek in design, and better yet, the return policy at Sears is one year for any reason at all, and if it ever tears up, as your's has certainly done, Sears has to take it back regardless of the time frame.

Unplugged

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2005
bsmart said:
My mom just bought all new Kenmore Elite series appliances for our condo earlier this year. I beleive you can only buy Kenmore at Sears stores. My mom and dad got our's from the Sears at the Santa Rosa Mall up in Mary Esther. They are awesome and sleek in design, and better yet, the return policy at Sears is one year for any reason at all, and if it ever tears up, as your's has certainly done, Sears has to take it back regardless of the time frame.
That's what I'm talkin' about bsmart... ;-)

You just can't beat Sears for reliability and service after the sale...:clap_1: