• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Anyone notice that most of the job adds are for cleaning, servers, retail sales, general service industry work? Don't you think we need something else? How about a real job?

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Anyone notice that most of the job adds are for cleaning, servers, retail sales, general service industry work? Don't you think we need something else? How about a real job?

We blue-collar workers thank you very much for condescending to read our posts and apologize for breathing your rarefied air.

Would you like to qualify what you mean by a "real job?"

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
In our high school work/school programs the jobs they are training for are mainly hospitality related. Many of the local jobs intended for a small portion of our local society are filled by the sole bread earners of the family. I think we need to bring in business that would require more training for it's workers, thus paying a better wage.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Well at least they are for jobs in the area, which in case you didnt notice, are mainly service jobs. But hey if we get rid of all the tourists and others that live here we wouldnt need people to clean those units or serve those meals.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama

I am pretty sure it is because you live in a "dreadful tourist" town. Those kinds of jobs are needed for a "dreadful tourist" town. I think you might want to ask some of the people that work in these jobs if they think their jobs are "real". I bet they would tell you real quick how hard they work, and that yes their jobs are "real". I would work three of them if I could live off the salary and be able to live in that "dreadful tourist town".

:bang:

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Funny, I never said "dreadful tourist town". I don't know about your mother, but mine used to say all the time, "When are you going to get a real job?" My comment is that we need some other kinds of jobs, not just tourist related! Tourism is great! But in balance! Doesn't it create a master/slave environment? Why shouldn't we have jobs that require use of our brains?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Funny, I never said "dreadful tourist town". I don't know about your mother, but mine used to say all the time, "When are you going to get a real job?" My comment is that we need some other kinds of jobs, not just tourist related! Tourism is great! But in balance! Doesn't it create a master/slave environment? Why shouldn't we have jobs that require use of our brains?

So those that clean houses/condos, serve food, and answer tourists questions at a front desk don't require a brain? Wesa so workin hard witout a brain up in heres ms florida girl we can't unterstan whatchu talkin' bout.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
:trainwreck:

Uh-Oh! :trainwreck::trainwreck:

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA

I was in a "gifted" history class back in the day, and when we did badly on tests the teachers would shake his head and say, "Well, somebody has to dig the ditches."

I dig the ditches, and I make three times as much doing it as I did when I worked as a paralegal. I've been trying to quit my business for over a year, but can't find a way to make as much money, which I desperately need in order to continue my education. (And once I complete my education, I doubt that I'll make as much per hour as I am now, but I'll have dental insurance and retirement and other things that are out of my reach right now.)

What sort of business doesn't have the master/slave environment? I am my own boss, and my company is a luxury item rather than a necessity (like plumbers or electricians.) I am a slave to my clients, who are the ones who butter my bread.

If I could get a job as an heiress, I would certainly take it...

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
If I only had a brain! :wave: