• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Today, I received the following information regarding the Planned Dog Park, "Bark Park." It seems that there are a couple of stubborn Commissioners that need help understanding the importance of having a place in SoWal where we can legally take our dogs to run off leash in a fenced area. Please read the following and send out an email to the Commissioners if you cannot personally attend the upcoming meeting.

The dogs need your help!!! Please help us get this dog park going. My dogs will love you forever!:love:

The email:
...trouble regarding the Bark Park approval. First, the
agreement has been picked apart and David Hallman the attorney has
written two versions to try to appease the dissenting commissioners regarding
whether it is a joint agreement or a lease. Small potatoes in my book-it could
be either. Another commissioner is trying to delay the dog park until
the dog shelter is built in North Walton County, an
18-24 month process. He's
also objecting to our getting the land because of some alleged violations
on Spike's property. Or he's using that as an excuse to delay our
project until he get's what he wants. BUT..We're going to face opposition on
Tuesday January 10th and we need to be prepared.

... (We need to) have as many voters and property owners in Walton County there as possible.
The meeting starts at 4PM at the South Walton Annex.

Please e-mail everyone you know and ask them to
be there to support the approval of the park.
Let them know that the
newspaper said it was approved but it has not yet been approved and we need their help.
They should not bring pets to the courthouse. ...the park is
not just affiliated with Spike, but has a broad base of support and a
respected Board of Directors.

As important as it is for people to be there at the meeting, some
people just can't. Please tell them to show their support by sending an e-mail
to ALL five commissioners saying they are voters and want this park NOW.

Here are e-mail addresses for you to send via cut and paste.

cucro@co.walton.fl.us; prikenneth@co.walton.fl.us;
jonlarry@co.walton.fl.us;
brascott@co.walton.fl.us; meacindy@co.walton.fl.us;

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
POOT! Don't care about the beaches and now the DOGS!!! FTLOG....some of these people need a heart transplant!

All of the standard poodle breeders I've talked to say to avoid places where large numbers of dogs have been to prevent our dog from catching diseases from other dogs. Our pup is on Dr. Dodds protocol of minimal vaccinations, designed to reduce the chances of diseases common in the breed and avoid needless vaccinations. When we drive to the beach, we never let our pup out at a gas station or fast-food restaurant. We always take her to a grassy area at a church where the probability of another dog being there is about zero. Yes, and we use a pooper-scooper.

Bottom line: The experts I know (like people who show dogs at Westminster) don't think that a dog park is healthy.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Beach Runner said:
All of the standard poodle breeders I've talked to say to avoid places where large numbers of dogs have been to prevent our dog from catching diseases from other dogs. Our pup is on Dr. Dodds protocol of minimal vaccinations, designed to reduce the chances of diseases common in the breed and avoid needless vaccinations. When we drive to the beach, we never let our pup out at a gas station or fast-food restaurant. We always take her to a grassy area at a church where the probability of another dog being there is about zero. Yes, and we use a pooper-scooper.

Bottom line: The experts I know (like people who show dogs at Westminster) don't think that a dog park is healthy.
The problem with the parks is that PEOPLE don't clean their dogs poop, which can lead to dogs getting worms. Another no no is allowing dogs to play with toys inside the fenced in area. The toys roll around in the poop and can eventually cause problems. Toys in the fenced area can also cause territorial disputes, so they should be avoided anyway. There are some known problems with such things, but the socialization of dogs is definitely needed as is the ability to play in an open field with your dogs without the fear of them getting trampled by a Hummer.

Suncat

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2005
Tennessee
Bark Park---Great name! We have the Chattanooga Chew Chew Canine Park ;-) which ranks in the top ten dog parks in the nation.

There does have to be firm rules and regs since unfortunately there will always be some people who are not responsible and considerate of others.
Our dogs are all rescued mixed breeds and haven't had a problem yet. I didn't even think about the negative consequences. It's good to consider all sides.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
If I knew the people and dogs that would be in the dog park with us, and knew everyone was up to date on their vaccines, had no other illness or parasite, and was not aggressive with people or other dogs, I would consider taking mine. SJ- I know why people love these dogparks, and if you, or owners like you, were at ours, we would come out and play. But you aren't. What I have seen is stupid people with too much time on their hands (but not enough time to train their dogs or get them veterinary attention) that think it is so cute to take their puppies for "playtime"- never mind that their pup has social issues and/or health issues.

One of my best friends practically lived at the dog park with her dogs- and loved it. She misses those days, and the friends she and her dogs made there. Louisville has an excellent dog park in one of our Olmstead parks- took many years, but now it's here. Along with a second one at another park, and quite a few puppy "daycares" with supervised playtime. Maybe the dog owners could somewhat "police" each other on health and good citizenship issues!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
jdarg said:

One of my best friends practically lived at the dog park with her dogs- and loved it. She misses those days, and the friends she and her dogs made there. Louisville has an excellent dog park in one of our Olmstead parks- took many years, but now it's here. Along with a second one at another park, and quite a few puppy "daycares" with supervised playtime. Maybe the dog owners could somewhat "police" each other on health and good citizenship issues!

At the dog park in Asheville, that is exactly what happens. Most of the people hang out in the same area watching their dog(s) and talking with new friends. I think it is as much a social experience for the people as well as the dogs. I have seen a couple of scuffles (the same boxers each time), but the owners of any dogs in a scuffle are asked to leave by the other owners, and the "bad" dogs' owners quickly and willingly comply.

seagrover

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2004
Seagrove Beach, FL
Smiling JOe said:
Today, I received the following information regarding the Planned Dog Park, "Bark Park." It seems that there are a couple of stubborn Commissioners that need help understanding the importance of having a place in SoWal where we can legally take our dogs to run off leash in a fenced area. Please read the following and send out an email to the Commissioners if you cannot personally attend the upcoming meeting.

The dogs need your help!!! Please help us get this dog park going. My dogs will love you forever!:love:

The email:
...trouble regarding the Bark Park approval. First, the
agreement has been picked apart and David Hallman the attorney has
written two versions to try to appease the dissenting commissioners regarding
whether it is a joint agreement or a lease. Small potatoes in my book-it could
be either. Another commissioner is trying to delay the dog park until
the dog shelter is built in North Walton County, an
18-24 month process. He's
also objecting to our getting the land because of some alleged violations
on Spike's property. Or he's using that as an excuse to delay our
project until he get's what he wants. BUT..We're going to face opposition on
Tuesday January 10th and we need to be prepared.

... (We need to) have as many voters and property owners in Walton County there as possible.
The meeting starts at 4PM at the South Walton Annex.

Please e-mail everyone you know and ask them to
be there to support the approval of the park.
Let them know that the
newspaper said it was approved but it has not yet been approved and we need their help.
They should not bring pets to the courthouse. ...the park is
not just affiliated with Spike, but has a broad base of support and a
respected Board of Directors.

As important as it is for people to be there at the meeting, some
people just can't. Please tell them to show their support by sending an e-mail
to ALL five commissioners saying they are voters and want this park NOW.

Here are e-mail addresses for you to send via cut and paste.

cucro@co.walton.fl.us; prikenneth@co.walton.fl.us;
jonlarry@co.walton.fl.us;
brascott@co.walton.fl.us; meacindy@co.walton.fl.us;

SJ - we love Auntie Spike!!! The funniest thing ever is to see all the "puppies' in the van riding around the area. They have a look on their face like they are just out to go get an ice cream!

jdarg said:
If I knew the people and dogs that would be in the dog park with us, and knew everyone was up to date on their vaccines, had no other illness or parasite, and was not aggressive with people or other dogs, I would consider taking mine.
Dogs on Dr. Dodds protocol haven't had the bortadella vaccine, for example, because they're on a minimal vaccination program. So, if they're at the park, the owners risk the health of other dogs (as well as their own). Maybe prior to admission to the dog park, the owner must have documentation that their dog's vaccinations are current and complete. Of course, that doesn't keep out worms and parasites.