Misc New 30a Home Construction Cost

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by mydogbabe, Feb 26, 2017.

1. mydogbabe

mydogbabe Beach Comber

Hi -

We are looking to build a home along 30 A. Wondering how the build price per square foot compares from Seaside, Watercolor and Seagrove area? I understand there is a "range" depending on finishes, etc, but does anyone know the range for each community?

Thank you!

2. mydogbabe

mydogbabe Beach Comber

I am bumping this again, as 151 people looked at it but no one answered :sosad:
    Maybe I can broaden my question. How much does it cost to build (price per square foot) in Walton county? Did you build a house? If so, how long ago? What did it cost? Thank you!

3. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

Costs per square foot vary greatly depending on specifications. It all depends on what finishes you want. $100 per foot is do-able if you keep your aspirations very low. $200 per foot will get you something very, very nice. It can also vary by how many stories.

4. Marmot

Marmot Beach Lover

I think people are hesitant to answer because construction is going gangbusters in Walton county. Right now is a supply-demand pricing situation with good contractors & subs. I spoke with some electricians today and they were sharing how they can't keep up with new build-outs, nor can they find dependable labor. Shop around and ask lots of questions. Sorry I was unable to provide a number as market conditions are in flux and not beneficial for the homeowner. Finding a good contractor is priority.

5. Lisalisa

Lisalisa Beach Comber

I would agree with marmont's answer. Finding a builder is one thing but finding subs to do the work is another. The market here is very different and if your considering building I would do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions. Even the big box builders are taking over a year to complete cookie cutter homes because the subs are just not available. Also, I would not plan on anything less than $100 a square ft. Also, be realistic permits, inspections and the build itself will take over a year.

6. happy2Bme

happy2Bme Beach Fanatic

Even with land cost excluded, I don't think you can build a home "along 30-a" for anywhere close to $100/sf. I fully agree with all the other info provided.

7. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Beach Fanatic

I agree. Land cost excluded, we built in 2013-2014 and spent about $180/sf and I would consider our home to be middle of the line in terms of cost per square foot. I estimate if we built our same house in 2017-2018, it would probably cost at least $200/sf.

8. BeachMac

BeachMac Beach Lover

Examples of questions that would be most helpful?
    (We are also building soon, and we "don't know what we don't know" so to speak.)

9. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

I dont mean to be rude but... when it comes to price on 30A... if you have to ask, you probably cant afford it. But you seem to have been in the area for a while so you probably already know this.

10. BeachMac

BeachMac Beach Lover

lol, liked that warning disclaimer alongside a post that starts "I don't mean to be rude but..." ;)

This wasn't my thread, so my question was less about price and more interested in the two comments above that mentioned asking a "lot" of questions. I was curious what they were thinking of in particular. Assuming someone has their build spec'd out in detail before getting started and obtains a detailed budget from the builder, it seems like the scope of the project would be pretty clear before one breaks ground, so I was more interested in knowing if there were questions that I wasn't thinking of that would be pertinent to the bid process. Or questions that are unique to SoWal that one may not consider. I'm sure we've all heard our share of building horror stories 'round here.

(For what it's worth, while I do not know the intent of the original poster, sometimes asking what something costs can be more about good stewardship vs. affordability/being cheap.)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  11. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Beach Fanatic

1. How much do you want to spend per square foot?

2. What do you expect for that price?

3. How much will that cost in Sowal?

12. Marmot

Marmot Beach Lover

There are the usual pertinent questions that can be googled, but upon selecting a contractor please ensure that one fully understands the contract. Based on professional suggestions, might want to consider seeking legal counsel to at least review contract and advise changes in vague language, as the contract is provided by the contractor and is written for their benefit and protection. When problems occur, both parties will refer to the contract language (clarity or vague, & open to interpretation??). Also need to have a very detailed material spec sheet, think about every detail of construction and make sure it is in there; ex. texture on wall & ceilings (smooth, light orange peel, heavy......). If using any tile, break a piece that will be used and have all parties sign pieces for reference. I could go on, but documentation is critical and protects all parties.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. LiveOak3475

LiveOak3475 Beach Crab

I am in the process of building a very nice spec home with a builder in Old Seagrove. The location is amazing and only 4 blocks from Seaside and 2 blocks from the beach. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you if interested in buying instead of dealing with the process of building. It is very difficult down here... Message me if you would like to discuss.

14. Doshia-WeSellSoWal

Doshia-WeSellSoWal Beach Comber

I'd say $185-$270, average for a modest yet nice home $200-$240 per sq ft. My significant other is a builder and is on the board for the local building association and I have 17 years real estate experience, if I can assist you, I'm here. I can help you locate land and the right builder choices to choose for for the location and type of home you hope to build. Good luck!!

15. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

Any grade A home builder recommendations for new construction on private lot south of 30A? Getting sq.footage quotes ranging from $150 -$225/sq.ft. Excluding land...
    Thoughts?

16. Marmot

Marmot Beach Lover

As you are probably aware, ensure allowances they are providing are realistic for plumbing & electrical fixtures along with cabinetry, flooring, solid surfaces, etc.

17. outofadream

outofadream Beach Lover

Call Mike Bryla at 850-387-5116

18. Lou Deman

Lou Deman Beach Comber

Steel1man
    Give us a call Lou 850-389-7006

19. jkmason

jkmason Beach Lover

Hey Steelman, Deron Strickman, Luke & Blues Builders, built our home on Gulf Point Rd. Solid builder with competitive pricing.

20. elgordoboy

elgordoboy Beach Fanatic

I work in the industry and have done work for both of the above, Lou Deman and Deron Strickman. I would highly recommend both of them as extremely competent professionals. I would trust either to build my house.