• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Can anyone explain to me why all the real hype over the new airport? It may be an unpopular position, but I have never understood what the big deal is. Doesn't the airport at Val.P. have a runway that is long enough to handle Air Force 1 and any other full size commercial jet? Why would the major carriers bring international flights to P.C. when Atl is 45 minutes north by plane? I just don't understand why I will all of a sudden be able to fly non-stop to NYC. What carrier's have already committed? Why did LUK really purchase the existing PC Airport? Bring me up to speed and please ponder what happens the day it opens and our real estate doesn't re-bound.:dunno:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Beats me...and I am not sure it will ever be what all the hype says it will be.

When airlines are cutting back service to small communities all over the country, it seems counter-intuitive that anyone would be building an airport.

What we need is a good high speed train service!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
It is being built based on perceived needs twenty years in the future. Building a International airport requires mucho cutting of red tape, and if you wait until the needs are present, it is too late to take effective action.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
SJOe...you been drinking that JOE kool-aid:lolabove:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
It is being built based on perceived needs twenty years in the future. Building a International airport requires mucho cutting of red tape, and if you wait until the needs are present, it is too late to take effective action.

Actually the International part only applies because customs can drive over from the port. Even the new airport will not have commercial International traffic at first.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Actually the International part only applies because customs can drive over from the port. Even the new airport will not have commercial International traffic at first.

Thank you thank you! Somebody remembered my old posts! All "international" means is customs is provided on site. That applies to both freight and passengers.

BTW...I've seen the master plan for the airport. The runways / taxiways are not being build to handle anything beyond the loaded weight of a 757. The airport, itself, it designed around the operational capabilities of jets in the MD88 / Airbus A320 range.

I moved here from the NYC metro 11 years ago thinking that with the further development of the internet, jobs would be more portable. With that in mind who wouldn't want to be in paradise if they had a choice. There were good migration inflow numbers and, looking at the rest of Florida's coastal population expansion it seemed logical there would be continued growth.

I just don't think we'll see the pop that sooooo many realtors continue to talk about.

Anybody know why LUK dropped the $75,000,000 or so buying the old PC Airport in this down market?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Thank you thank you! Somebody remembered my old posts! All "international" means is customs is provided on site. That applies to both freight and passengers.

BTW...I've seen the master plan for the airport. The runways / taxiways are not being build to handle anything beyond the loaded weight of a 757. The airport, itself, it designed around the operational capabilities of jets in the MD88 / Airbus A320 range.

Actually I knew this before your posts, but I'll give you that one for being the first post.

The new airport is being designed so that, IF, down the road the need arises they can offer space to customs. However, the first flight won't be a red eye from Tokyo.

I moved here from the NYC metro 11 years ago thinking that with the further development of the internet, jobs would be more portable. With that in mind who wouldn't want to be in paradise if they had a choice. There were good migration inflow numbers and, looking at the rest of Florida's coastal population expansion it seemed logical there would be continued growth.

I just don't think we'll see the pop that sooooo many realtors continue to talk about.

Anybody know why LUK dropped the $75,000,000 or so buying the old PC Airport in this down market?

I think that they got a really good deal on some prime real estate. I realize they have plans they have laid out, but nothing is stopping them from transfering it to a shell that does something else. I'm sure it'll have high rise condo's on the bay with a large marina and the rest will be single home lots and smaller condos with commercial by 390. In addition they'll get a really nice check from the state when 390 is 6 laned for right of way and easements.