• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
You have to pass a background check to get a job at Walmart for Christs sake.....what is the matter with these people?

They also did NOT do a background check on the current planning director because his police record would not have aided him in getting that job. I took the documents found in background checks done on him by private citizens to one Commissioner and it was delivered to others. The ones I know who could have changed the direction the county was leaning towards in hiring him, did nothing! The City lost almost $2 million in revenue because he and the Mayor decided not to tell the City Council the Mayor was receiving those letters from State Auditors. He also worked for Pat Blackshear when almost $1 million dollars in fees either went missing or were never collected in the Planning Department and now hes the head of the whole damn department.

Obviously, Ms. Walters (HR Director) was not the brightest bulb in the pack and should not have been hired either but the County does not seem to want the best and brightest who can do the job admirably, they would rather have people who simply do what they are told.

Bill Williams (the Triumph Liaison) for Walton County had Ethics Complaints filed against him as a Commissioner in another County and probably should not have been hired by us either but again the County does not seem to want the best and brightest who can do the job admirably, they would rather have people who simply do what they are told.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
And for the record...what galls me MOST is that I can find this stuff doing simple google searches and we were paying the HR director $70 thousand a year to commit insurance fraud and sleep with county officials!
:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

Last edited:

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
And for the record...what galls me MOST is that I can find this stuff doing simple google searches and we were paying the HR director $70 thousand a year to commit insurance fraud and sleep with county officials!
:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:
Truth will come out....watching national firings? Matt Lauder just today.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
Let me rephrase this...what she was actually boasting about was the so called "Independent Investigation" which the BCC directed along with the County attorney's help and a law firm previously under contract with the County which they had allowed to lapse...so, because Constangy was still being paid by the County but not under contract it was an independent investigation.

Nov 28, 2017 BCC meeting. Didn't watch the whole hour and a half; too painful.
Board of County Commissioners on 2017-11-28 9:00 AM - Regular Meeting - Nov 28th, 2017

Excellent points about lack of Walton BCC transparency hiring expensive legal expertise to do County employee's jobs.
http://walton.granicus.com/MediaPla...360&entrytime=3105&stoptime=5340&auto_start=0

Audience response to Commis Jones' statement about Walton “independent” investigation into complaints against Commissioner Jones. Audience microphone too far to hear clearly the audience response but Commis Jones promptly responded with her gavel.
http://walton.granicus.com/MediaPla...360&entrytime=3455&stoptime=5340&auto_start=0

I find it interesting Commis Jones always asks if there is any discussion from the "audience" like the people who attend are just spectators to what the Commissioners have already decided to do. I thought the BCC served and listened to the tax payers and citizens; not the other way around. How about asking "Are there any citizens that would like to ask any questions we (BCC) can answer or make any suggestions that would help us (BCC) make an informed decision?" I can dream.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Thanks NW Fl Daily News...LYNDA MORSE

Story by Deborah Wheeler

After two Walton County employees were arrested last month and charged with fraud and theft, the topic of background checks for prospective Walton County employees was discussed.

However, no clear answers were provided. DeFuniak Springs resident Lynda Morse started the conversation when she asked the commissioners when the county stopped doing background checks.

Linda Morse talks to the Walton County Commissioners during a recent meeting and asks if the county does background checks on employees.
“If you had done them, you would have found that former employee Mr. Walters is a convicted felon,” she told commissioners and the county administrator.

However, Morse did not get an answer to her question.
Commissioners sat silently until Commission Chair Cecilia Jones asked Morse if she was finished.
“No,” Morse responded. “Are you going to answer me?”
“No,” said Jones.

County Administrator Larry Jones told Morse, “We will look at this.”
District 4 Commissioner Sara Comander also questioned the county’s policy.

“Is it in our policy that we don’t hire those who have spent time in prison? If a person is released from jail and can’t get a job, they will go back to jail. How can we help them and protect the public?” Comander said.

District 3 Commissioner Melanie Nipper said that she went through the ledger and found four background checks charged to the county.

“There are second chances and there is grace,” Commission Chair Jones told everyone.
District 1 Commissioner Bill Chapman directed staff to look at doing a minimum of background checks on prospective employees.

“There is an understanding that if we have people who have been to jail 10 or 12 years ago and no re occurrence they might get more consideration than someone who just got out,” said Chapman. “Over time things change, people change. In the past we had a hard time filling vacancies because they had a minimum NCIC (National Crime Information Center) check when applying in this county.”

Larry Jones did not return phone calls or emails to The Sun’s request for information about the county’s policy, if there is one, and why it is not being followed.

Instead, the county attorney’s office sent a link to the current Walton County Policy and Procedure Manual that states on page 12 that all job applicants will undergo a background check. However, no one responded to emails to confirm if the manual is being followed.

www.nwfdailynews.com/news/20171202/does-walton-county-do-background-checks

Last edited: