1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

New Development with Hotel Next to Alys Beach

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by GingB, Apr 6, 2015.

1. GingB

GingB Beach Comber

image.jpg

This letter was just delivered today to residents of Sand Cliffs. Hotel, commercial, residential all on this little corner of Watersound Pkwy and 30A. What a mess that intersection will be. What can be done to stop this high density growth on 30A?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2015
  2. Truman

Truman Beach Fanatic

Thanks for posting!

This land had a previous development that went bust years ago. I always figured St. Joe or Ebsco (Alys Beach) would end up with the property. Maybe they did.

http://phlandstudio.com/masterplans.html

The land planning company has done work on several St. Joe developments.

Overview of Sbg-Pr,LLC in Santa Rosa Beach, FL

Sbg-Pr,LLC filed as a Florida Limited Liability in the State of Florida on Wednesday, July 24, 2013 and is approximately two years old, as recorded in documents filed with Florida Department of State. The filing is currently active as of the last data refresh which occured on Sunday, September 1, 2013.
    Key People

Jason Romair serves as the Managing Member and has interests in other corporate entities including Romair Construction, Inc., Cedar Woods Lot 13, LLC and eleven more corporations. Jason's past corporate affiliations include Romair Development, LLC, Audubon Point Holdings, LLC and eleven others.

John Pinkerton is the Managing Member of Sbg-Pr,LLC. John's additional corporate interests include Pr Charters, LLC, Wso Cannonball Lane, LLC and three more corporations.

3. miaandsashasmom

miaandsashasmom Beach Comber

Do you know where the development's beach access will be?

4. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

good question

5. Low Brow

Low Brow Beach Lover

They got Winston Ln in Rosemary or the one at Seacrest Dr. That's it.

6. BeachMac

BeachMac Beach Lover

Does every zoning change request get approved down here? Seems like it was zoned small neighborhood for a reason. It us disturbing to witness the high rate of development right now, absent from a sustainable and long-term infrastructure plan. We've only been here a few years as permanent residents, but it is disturbing to see so many new projects that involve clear-cut lots with cheap, unattractive construction that will not stand the test of time for character like the old Seagrove cottages in the 50s/60s... I don't know any locals in support of such massive commercial and hotel projects, yet they keep happening. Is there anything to be done to help curb zoning changes like this? We love this area and want to support it's character.
    Would incorporation help to give some power to SoWal residents alongside county officials?

7. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

8. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Incorporation appears to be our only hope.

9. WaterColorRealEstate

WaterColorRealEstate Beach Crab

Screen Shot 2015-04-10 at 11.54.08 AM.jpg

The 3 parcels east of Watersound Pkwy, 2 rectangles and a sliver, were acquired by Romair Construction and its affiliates a little while ago. Currently the project doesn't have a name. The working title is "The 26 Acres." Romair's website doesn't have much information about the project yet. http://romairhomes.com/communities/

I've seen preliminary renderings of what the neighborhood will look like. It's actually very nice. It is different than what you would expect, though, if all you did was to look a other projects by the builder.

I think there was some initial resistance from nearby developments vis-a-vis beach access. At about 30% the size of Seaside and 1/6th the size of Alys Beach, I would expect a little bit of commercial along with the residential. If I were planning it, I would anchor the commercial toward the boundary with Alys.

I don't know what the hotel is all about. I suppose that proposal will evolve as time goes on.

10. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

Previous Aquatera project tried to gain access through Sandcliffs across the street. Believe it went to court and Aquatera developers lost and that's when it went bust. I don't know if the Romair folks know the history but someone should keep an eye on the folks in Defuniac when this project gets going, especially Sandcliff.

11. second wind

second wind Beach Lover

A good crowd attended the Tuesday April 14 meeting. Romair did not want not take group questions however the other members of the planning team did and where as forthcoming as they could be . Most are concerned about traffic issues with a median and parking on 30A . Hard for residents at Sand Cliff to get out now. Beach Access is up in the air but planning team working on it. It's progress and high end. It could be a lot worse but not what most want in their back yard.

12. second wind

second wind Beach Lover

Also St Joe denied the principals new road access to Watersound Parkway. The road is privately owned by JOE ...

13. second wind

second wind Beach Lover

shows 71 single family residential lots all to be built by Romair and to be sold by his realtor. Commercial ; 60 Room Hotel, a Venue approx 5,000 sq ft, retail 47,000sq ft, office space 50,000+ and a 9,000sq ft restaurant.

14. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

This makes Hampton Inn looked like a winner from traffic and crowd stand point...

15. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

So all traffic into and out of this project will have to use 30a? If so, it won't be long before we see stop
    signs and then traffic lights on 30a a la Rosemary. You're right, this is going to make it exponentially worse for the folks in Sandcliffs and for that intersection in general. Don't traffic concurrency and common sense ever count for anything. How much will these developers have to pay to the County to ignore the traffic issue($159,000 for Hampton Inn project).

16. Ohio Girl

Ohio Girl Beach Lover

71 units, a hotel and commercial building sure seems like a lot of construction on 26 acres. We love Seacrest because it's relatively quiet and has maintained some of that old Florida charm. I'm afraid of what it will look like a few years from now.

17. second wind

second wind Beach Lover

All of the public and private beach access in this area is being looked at as a potential beach source for this development and by others. Now is the time to share with your neighbors your own thoughts and feelings AND double check your HOA Covenants , Conditions and Restrictions and Bylaws. Share your thoughts and feelings with your County Commissioner too. does anyone know who that would be for this area? Could beach chair set ups be placed at the mean high water line on these beaches and be considered legal ? Aren't all our beaches really public?

18. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

Beach Vendors only get 50% of any Public Beach Access. Must get Written approval ( and prove if asked) to set up in front of beach homes.

19. second wind

second wind Beach Lover

Increased traffic with additional water run off are real possibilities. And a loss of rental income a given

20. Ohio Girl

Ohio Girl Beach Lover

OK, I have a dumb question. We own a house in Magnolia Cottages. We have deeded beach access. What does that really mean? I know us owners are responsible for the walkway and stairs down to the beach but is there anything else to deeded access?