• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
Re: New East-West connector road meeting 6/16/05

Guess I don't. I've been out of touch due to personal issues. However, I still feel that St. Joe's major developments have jeopardized the 30-A ambiance.

However, please correct my ignorance on this particular issue.

Thanks, Smiling JOe. You are always there for us.

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005

I just bought one place in a six-home development - I didn't develop a kajillion homesides, so it's not my bad! Furthermore, Seaside and Rosemary aren't as huge as Watercolor. I remember people getting ticked off because of ... woo ... "large signs" on 30-A. That seems innocuous compared to rush hour on 30-A today. I'm certainly not the 'ho that's pimpin' 30-A.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

phdphay said:
Guess I don't. I've been out of touch due to personal issues. However, I still feel that St. Joe's major developments have jeopardized the 30-A ambiance.

However, please correct my ignorance on this particular issue.

Thanks, Smiling JOe. You are always there for us.
Enlarge the pamplet which Kurt posted a couple of posts ago, and read it. You should be able to see the plans.

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005

Okay, Smiling JOe, I enlarged the map. It's difficult to see. What's your take on it?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

phdphay said:
Okay, Smiling JOe, I enlarged the map. It's difficult to see. What's your take on it?

I believe he is referring to the fact that the project is north of 98 and will not affect 30-A traffic.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

My understanding is that the State is pushing us to create more evacuation routes. Also, the County is also looking ahead so that we don't have one main road running east / west, creating traffic nightmares like Destin. There will be good and bad effects of creating such a thing.

I have said for a long time that I could see Chat Holley becoming restaurant row in the future. My guess is that much of the property on both sides of Chat Holley and Churchill will change zoning to commercial. We will probably see 3 lanes of traffic instead of two (maybe later in time). I see some bulldozers at work already on property between 393 and 331, the Charles Forman property.

Obviously, on the east side of Hwy 331, there are many issues involved with making major roads through so much State Forest. Of course, Doodle Harris has just paved over a mile of road through the State Forest to access the Estuary, so I don't expect much resistance to this idea of extending the connector road through Hwy 395. For some people in the area of Point Washington, the drive to the Blue Bar and the Sea Bar will be a straight shot, so maybe that is a good thing?

Unfortunately, it seems that each time we have important meetings such as this, I am scheduled to be out of the area. I look forward to a full report from someone.

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005

Thanks for the info, Joe.

"3 lanes of traffic" - where? YOU TALKING 30-A? THEM'S FIGHTIN' WORDS!

Congratulations to Doodle for staying busy paving and out of you-know-where. I hear that his beachfront lot in Seaside is on the market. But then I hear that just about everything on 30-A is on the market because people are afraid the bubble is about to burst - my sister says that the number of "For Sale" signs is amazing.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

phdphay said:
Thanks for the info, Joe.

"3 lanes of traffic" - where? YOU TALKING 30-A? THEM'S FIGHTIN' WORDS!

Congratulations to Doodle for staying busy paving and out of you-know-where. I hear that his beachfront lot in Seaside is on the market. But then I hear that just about everything on 30-A is on the market because people are afraid the bubble is about to burst - my sister says that the number of "For Sale" signs is amazing.

No, my guess of the 3 lanes is along Chat Holley (north of 98). One of
"Doodle's" lots is for sale. For a long time he had a Seacrest sign posted stating "Seacrest owners and guest only." Now it states, "Harris Family Only."

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005

Smiling JOe said:
No, my guess of the 3 lanes is along Chat Holley (north of 98). One of
"Doodle's" lots is for sale. For a long time he had a Seacrest sign posted stating "Seacrest owners and guest only." Now it states, "Harris Family Only."
That's interesting!

Jun 14, 2005

Kurt,
Correction to your comment on the State Lands and road proposed through Point Washington State Forest and Deer Lake State Park.

The South Walton Conservation and Development Trust ?s final recommendation was for the disposal of over 3,000 acres of State Forest and Park Land. This included 80 acres off of Satinwood Drive, 120 acres in Blue Mountain and 250 acres in Seagrove behind Cassine Gardens. The County?s scheme was for the State to turn the 3,000+ acres of Forest and Park land over to the county so they could sell it to developers. This was the meat of the battle to save the state lands not The Government and Education Center or as it was known at the time, ?new town?.

The North-South Connector road through Point Washington State Forest and Deer Lake State Park was all about traffic concurrency on 30-A. Developers couldn?t get approval in Seagrove without more trips.

Why not a road through conservation land? Some of the reasons are that the area between 395 ( Seagrove highway) and the east end of 30A is the largest unsegmented tract of Conservation and Recreation land in South Walton. Segmenting large tracts destroys and reduces functional habitat. Also this area contains a number of wetlands and rare species. Recreation trails used by both residents and visitors are located in this area.

Humans are so arrogant that we think nothing of destroying God?s Creation for excessive profit and convenience.

Celeste Cobena
www.beachtobay.org

Last edited by a moderator: