• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

appalach

Beach Comber
May 16, 2008
My apologies if this has been discussed in another thread recently, but my search didn't show anything. With all of the talk lately about infrastructure spending and allocations going to "shovel-ready" projects, I was curious what was the last official statement about when/if any funding would be sought for the new 331 bridge. What "shovel-ready" projects are in the area, and who decides what projects meet that term?

appalach

Beach Comber
May 16, 2008
$480,000,000 :yikes:.

After reading the bridge portion on the walton county chamber link, it sounded to me like a $5,000,000 request was submitted to support additional study of the bridge design and that no state or local funds are available to support a project of this magnitude. If that is right, this doesn't really sound like a "shovel-ready" project (whatever that means) since it still seems to be in the design phase. Actually, I read in one article that "shovel-ready" meant work could begin within 120 days of receiving funding. However, the definition of "work" is also probably open to interpretation. :D

I live out of state and haven't read local reports about specific possibilities in Florida for the stimulus cash. Does anyone think the viability or timeline of the proposed bridge will be improved by the stimulus bill? If not, does anyone have any ideas of what impact on regional infrastructure might happen because of the stimulus package?

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The biggest hurdle to cross in getting bridge funding is getting past non-users of the bridge from terming it the "bridge to nowhere". While everyone who lives, works, or vacations here knows and can see or experience the need of a 4 lane bridge those who don't will see this as waste. Throw in the fact that while not vocally opposed, it's almost a guarantee that the Mid-bay Bridge authority is very opposed to this non-revenue generating project unless it can be bonded and then placed under their management. Their are many entities at work with this bridge and time will reveal those that have good, bad, or purely monetary motives.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
This is from the WZEP email news:

"
Economic Stimulus Could Mean New Bridge

Is a sister bridge to the Clyde B. Wells Bridge closer than you think. As the economic stimulus package approval is starting to develop, Walton County could see money for the shovel ready $336 million bridge.

Shovel ready is a term meaning a project is ready to begin the design and build. When District 3 Secretary Kelly last visited with the commissioners, he said the second bay bridge is a project they could let out in a matter of days to a company who would design and build the second two lanes. Kelly said the bridge would be a shore to shore bridge after the FDOT looked at using the existing causeway and decided it would take more to shore it up than it would to build without using it.

The second bridge is needed for current traffic and to help empty out the south end of the county in an emergency situation. U.S. 331 is the only north south road out of south Walton. The FDOT currently has the portion south of the bridge under construction as a four lane project. The four lanes would simply empty into the existing two lanes of the bridge, creating bottlenecks. Walton has been seeking a widened U.S. 331 for around 30 years and only now is seeing some sections getting the updates. Walton County is also working with the state on a public private partnership to add additional lanes to the section north of Owls Head to Edgewood Circle in Woodlawn.

According to an article in the Pensacola News Journal, Secretary Kelley said at an FDOT teleconference Friday morning that he expects about $100 million in stimulus funding for District 3 counties. How that would be broken up is still being discussed. FDOT spokesman Tommie Speights says this is all preliminary, and once the numbers are out, then they can say how much each county will get.

While the stimulus package has proponents and opponents, many do agree by putting the money into construction jobs, especially updating the countrys aging infrastructure, the economy will see a greater return than when money was sent directly to the taxpayers.

The state of Florida is also looking at how to help the local economy and has plans to move up some projects. These include projects like resurfacing Highway 90, something in the plans, but potentially advanced by the state."

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
I deleted my earlier post outlining why I thought the stimulus monies would not be going toward the bridge expansion after the e-blast from WZEP, but upon reflection, I can't see how the numbers work. In the link posted by Kurt, it states that the overall cost of the project is estimated at $480 million. In the e-blast it says that $100 million would be allocated to all counties in District 3, not each County and the breakdown has yet to be determined. I see two problems with the story.

Even if the bridge project alone can be done as a design build, how can it be done at less than $100 million (when they state it will cost $336M or $480M depending on the source).

Second, how is the County going to get the entire District's allocation. Am I missing something as to the cost of the bridge and a realistic allocation of the District's dollars?

It appears that the e-blast is saying that it meets the criteria of an eligible project due to previous reports by the DOT (however the timeframe and context of those reports are not given) but the dollars still do not appear to be there.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
dollars are not there, beachsi02. you are correct. However, I think this project will become a user-fee project (aka - toll bridge), which may be able to fund the remainder through bonds.

appalach

Beach Comber
May 16, 2008
BeachSiO2, I agree with you that at first glance the numbers don't seem to work. For those who support the idea of the new bridge, it would be great to somehow have total funding for the project as a result of the stimulus infusion. However, even if only a smaller sum than actual estimates are allocated to the bridge, maybe it could act as a catalyst to secure other sources of funding. I have no idea what those sources might be :dunno:. Bake sales? Tolls as SJ said. It was disheartening to read in a prior post that Walton County has been seeking the widening of 331 for 30 years! This stimulus package heavy on infrastructure investment seems like it will truly be a rare opportunity, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it is allocated across the region. The tasks of deciding a priority list for projects and how to spend whatever amount is earmarked for the area don't seem to be enviable ones to me. I can only imagine all of the competing interests in play when trying to figure what are the best projects to fund. Someone probably better have a shovel ready because it will likely get deep in some closed door discussions. I'm sure that some of the money will likely be squandered (ie along the thoughts of not letting the perfect be the enemy..); it seems inevitable for something of this size. Whether or not all of us agree with the magnitude of the stimulus, at this point, I'm just hopeful that whatever portions head to Walton County and the surrounding region are used judiciously.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
the NWFTCA has already prioritized a list regarding roads for NW FL. It's on a chart on their website, along with costs, but note that it isn't necessarily linked to the money which may come to this area from the Not-So Stimulating Act.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Sorry if I appear to be Debby Downer, but a firm I work with is currently working with a number of public clients in regards to the stimulus funding. The problems we are seeing is that a number of projects either don't meet the strictly defined criteria or do and yet funding still doesn't exist so we are having to temper expectations. I for one believe that the bridge definitely needs to be built.

Here is the current status of the relevant portion of the bill. First, there is a total of $29 Billion for the US that will be allocated to the categories of projects in which this bridge would fall. The two categories are:

1. National Surface Transportation System (competitive "grant" program) that will be allocated by the Federal DOT and thus NOT SUBJECT to the state ranking system (1.5 Billion). There are requirements but this money is to be split evenly between urban and rural areas. Applications due in 180 days, project finished in 3 years.
2. Federal Highway Administration- These funds will be routed through state DOT's and subject to their "lists" (27.5 Billion). This is where the money will come from that is discussed in the WZEP blast. Funds are to be apportioned in 120 days, project must be completed in 3 years. If after 120 days, funds are not apportioned, states will lose the money and it will go to another state that have expended their funds, "use it or lose it." Another sweep will occur at a year to ensure projects are progressing.

Although these are substantial amounts, I just don't see that stimulus funding will be the vehicle for this project. Whether or not the types of funding programs that have been discussed could be married to make up the shortfall, I think would be a long shot due to the time frames for expenditure. I hope this helps on why I don't think the bridge is viable for stimulus.

That being said there is also the Surface Transportation Bill that comes along every five years or so and it is up this year. Long story short is that these funds are also in addition to the typical appropriation process and funding is made available for projects that may not be on the top of the state DOT's list.