• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
http://www.waltonsun.com/news/school_792___article.html/board_walton.html

South Walton moves one step closer to acquiring new middle school
Sean Boone
2008-02-20 12:52:00

Only three residents were in attendance at Tuesday?s Walton School Board meeting, despite a critical vote regarding funding for a new middle school in South Walton.
The School Board approved a $1.15 million architectural plan for a new Emerald Coast Middle School on County Road 30A. William Elliot Jr. of Elliott Marshall Innes P.A., told the board his firm could provide a 10 percent discount on 32 percent of the scheduled work and would be willing to work with budget conflicts.
?If you don?t get the funding until 2009, we could start in July and be done in 2011,? he said.
Elliot Marshall is currently the front-runner of three firms vying for the architectural job.
The 17.4 million dollar project is being designed to hold more than 800 students and share lunchroom facilities with Butler Elementary. In addition, the new school would provide much needed classroom space for the near-capacity elementary school.
Bob Hudson of the Walton County Taxpayers Association questioned the board?s decision to build a school that will hold more than double the current enrollment the school has. Hudson said he feared a large school would be a waste of money if the economy did not pick up and more people didn?t move to the area.
?We just need to get it right,? he emphasized to the board.
Administration and Operations Supervisor Wayne Miller defended the design on grounds of future planning and the current overcrowding of area schools.
?Right now the elementary schools are overcrowded,? he said. ?By the time we finish, we won?t know where we are going to be (enrollment).?
Board member Mark Davis added that in the past, the district has always overbuilt due to the unknown enrollment levels in the future.
In addition to the school issue, School Board Chairman Darrell Barnhill proposed a new policy that correlates with the Federal Medical Leave Act that would allow district employees the option to take an unpaid 90 day leave of absence during a family emergency and not run the risk of being fired.
?I don?t think it?s going to damage the district if someone needs to take leave for family emergency,? he said.
According to Superintendent Carlene Anderson, the district already has a policy that allows leave and is effective after 97 days of employment.
The board did not take an action on the Barnhill suggestion and referred the policy to School Board Attorney Ben Holley for further evaluation.
Tuesday?s meeting, which was held at South Walton High School, was the first scheduled Walton School Board meeting in the south end of the county in more than six years.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
lunch room share with Butler? do you mean Bay?

Actually, the two-sided cafeteria would serve an elementary school built on the same property, if we need a new elementary down the road. The talk of a new elementary school was news to me. The architect presented it as a way to cut costs- the elementary and middle students would have 2 separate dining areas, but the food would come out of the central kitchen by the same kitchen staff.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
As it is now, Butler prepares the lunches for ECMS - I don't know if Bay prepares on-site or not anymore.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
Things have changed since shallowsnole (I think I know who that is) and I went to Bay Elem in the 70's. The 5th, 6th and 7th grade were in the same classroom and there were only 11 of us. The bus driver, Mrs. White, was the lunch preparer as well. Our principal was Peter Dier, who was our teacher and preacher (we didn't have a choice about the preaching). We had gas heat and no A/C.

I am all for progress, but what is the deal with the Taj Mahal type buildings to house our students? Isn't it overkill? Why not lower the ceilings (more ecomomical) for starters?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Things have changed since shallowsnole (I think I know who that is) and I went to Bay Elem in the 70's. The 5th, 6th and 7th grade were in the same classroom and there were only 11 of us. The bus driver, Mrs. White, was the lunch preparer as well. Our principal was Peter Dier, who was our teacher and preacher (we didn't have a choice about the preaching). We had gas heat and no A/C.

I am all for progress, but what is the deal with the Taj Mahal type buildings to house our students? Isn't it overkill? Why not lower the ceilings (more ecomomical) for starters?

I wouldn't exactly call the new schools Taj Mahal. Functional and industrial and meeting ADA and OSHA requirements- yes.

The school I attended K-9 was like just like Bay. I have a lot of nostalgia for it, but that does not mean conditions can't improve!

Last edited:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington

You said 7th grade! That gave it away! :clap:
PM me, sweetie. I may not answer right away (lunch is over) but I will tonight or tomorrow. :cool: