1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Easternlake lady, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Easternlake lady

Easternlake lady Beach Comber

There are more 'keep out' signs at Eastern Lake. They say 'Posted. No trespassing. Keep out". The sign posts look new (more substantial) than what was there a couple of weeks ago. There's one about 10 feet from the gulf water!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Everytime

Everytime Beach Fanatic

Not cool. Perfect place for families with kids with the zero entry lake on one side and the beach on the other. It seems that the current southern shore of the lake is pretty close to the MHWL, so most of that parcel (as shown on the tax map) is underwater (in the lake).

3. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

Call all five Commissioners and demand removal of the signs! Address the BCC meeting complaining about what it is doing to the usage and beauty of our pristine beaches. When I bought here in 1991 there wasn't a sign anywhere along South Walton beaches. It could be that way again if the populace would just act.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

#bondfire

5. justhavinfun

justhavinfun Beach Fanatic

Here is the story I got from a post on the Walton County Facebook site - A person bought the property located at 187 San Roy Road back in 2013 and along with the house, a lot to the west as well. The parcel is roughly 2 acres and last week I observed a surveyor marking the property and installing a few private property signs. It seems the new property owner attempted to get the sheriff to enforce the no trespassing signs and was advised that he needed more signs so they will be popping up. There was a lengthy exchange on the Walton County Visioning Facebook site that provided all sorts of information however I could not find it earlier. I also saw the current owner of the property has enlisted his neighbors on San Roy to also plant Private Property signs in front of there respective property that will extend to Easter Shores Condo complex. I have to be honest that I prefer to have some space when we head to the beach and I usually park on that section - I guess we will see what happens over the next weeks or so but I am holding out for eventual Karma..

• List
  6. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

The property owner removed his post from the Facebook group. His post was quite inflammatory. Responses to his post were rather heated, though he had a few who support his property rights. This is the same property owner that had partnered with a vendor earlier with signs and set ups everywhere on and near his beachfront property. The vendor has gone somewhere else after receiving a lot of public outcry.

His post gave a huge number of signs that he and neighbors are having constructed. And he sited Florida law that allows for this. He also promised to partner with vendors. So, he does not want the public on his beach. But vendors are welcome.

7. Easternlake lady

All of this makes me so mad!! But what astounds me is that he has (there is) a sign 10 feet from the gulf! Can he do that? The posts are white and blend in with the sand - so I'm guessing eventually someone running or a little child walking along with family by the water with run into one of these very substantial posts and sustain an injury. What then??

• List
  8. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

after the law suit, maybe he want own this property. #takeonefortheteam #ouch

9. Everytime

Everytime Beach Fanatic

It seems like a tricky parcel to define. If you look at this parcel and the Walton County Port Authority parcel (public beach/Eastern Lake access lot) to the north, much of both of these parcels have been underwater in the Eastern Lake outflow in recent history, with the tax parcel map for the southern parcel also being partially in the Gulf of Mexico. Between the MHWL and the current southern shore of Eastern Lake, I doubt they currently have 2 acres!

TaxMap.jpg

10. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

From what I read on Facebook, the homeowner did have surveillance camera's on his property and folks were urinating on the dune and by his house and he has young children. He has tried everything he could to handle this problem with the increasing crowds coming to this area and he went to the Sheriff's Dept. for help and assistance. Someone spoke to him from the Walton County Visioning group on FB and felt the guy was sincere. However, the last thing I remember reading was he was very much against all the signs (he had a lengthy comment about this) but the Sheriff's Dept. insisted he needed all those signs so they could enforce the no trespassing issue on his property. We lived on the beach over 10 years ago and I can see both sides of the argument here. We had people come up our walkover, walk through our garden and even look through our windows! Even then there was no respect for private property all those years ago but certainly is has gotten out of hand with all the people here now.

11. Solar Steve

Solar Steve Beach Comber

Great response!
    Tourist/visitors have NO RESPECT for our BEACHES.
    Cigarette butts in the sand, leaving trash on the beach, etc...
    Chair vendors have no respect for locals!
    Overcrowding, etc...
    Good luck with the on going battle :)

Local yocal:banging:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  12. happy2Bme

happy2Bme Beach Fanatic

I agree to a point.....but, signs and fences don't make for good neighbors. It eeks of the elitism prevalent in SOWAL. I'm a long-time local, and walk the beach often.....I'll make sure not to walk on the upland side of THE SIGN so as not to incur the wrath of the Mr. Friendly or the po po. :moon:

13. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

I am going to start copying and pasting stuff on this site so we will have it to reference instead of it being deleted. I encourage others to do the same.

14. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

I hope there is a public forum with the county commissioners after season is over like last year.
    We need to be Heard.

15. Wekick

Wekick Beach Comber

If the outflow is open can you walk up it to the lake?

16. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

No property owner owns the lake or the outflow. That is under state jurisdiction. There is also an easement leading straight from the walkway to the gulf

17. Wekick

Wekick Beach Comber

I thought that was the case but wanted to make sure. Thanks!

18. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Recently posted to SoWal Facebook page by Robert Raymond... Not sure why he posted it but there ya go (it's under posts by others where many locals, visitors and businesses post info)

"Me and my new neighbors sign. He has lots of them all over the beach..." Robert R.

[​IMG]

• List
  19. Easternlake lady

Yes - these were the signs that were up this past weekend. What you don't see in that picture is the statement at the bottom telling people to "walk along the edge of the lake to get to the gulf" (not over their sand/property! - my words). One sign is immediately as you get out of the lake from the crossover. People stop, read the sign and most then walk all around the lake, hauling all of their chairs and kids, trying not to step on someone's precious unused sand! It is so up uninviting and snooty looking. I wish the county would just buy this property.

There were also smaller keep out signs just a few feet from the gulf - so close that Saturday morning the water was coming all the way up to the signs. Someone had taken these down Sunday morning.

20. MarvinGardens

MarvinGardens Beach Comber

Is it legal to post signs on the beach without a permit? I thought you needed permission from Florida DEP?