NEW to forum - seasonality?

Discussion in 'Say Hello to SoWal!' started by Cyndy, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Cyndy

Cyndy Beach Comber

Hi ya'll, former FWB native here, presently living in Montana. My idea of heaven: living in 30A area winter/spring, back to mountains summer/fall... Are job offerings pretty slim in winter? Enough year-round residents to keep businesses thriving? Much thanks for any input...

2. Truman

Truman Beach Fanatic

Sounds like a grayt plan! But yes jobs are slim in off season. What can you do / are you willing to do?

3. Cyndy

Cyndy Beach Comber

Wow, that's a loaded question! I am a yoga instructor ~ the passion/love job. I am also a horse-care provider/property caretaker ~ the 'pay the bills' job :). The hubby @ I have lived in many a resort town so know the drill. Husband manages a bike shop, mostly mountain biking here tho.

4. Truman

Truman Beach Fanatic

Hmmm... yoga, horses, bikes...

Can you use a paint brush or a weedwhacker?

5. Cyndy

Cyndy Beach Comber

Do many businesses shut down in winter? I was encouraged to see that the Seaside farmers market is held year around. Anyone know the yoga studio scene in winter; do they scale back class offerings considerably?

6. Truman

Truman Beach Fanatic

The yoga business is tough here. A lot more people would like to have a yoga biz here but the market is set. There are only so many locals who are going to go consistently and support a business in the off season.

7. Cyndy

Cyndy Beach Comber

Don't forsee having a business; just hoping - as a freelance teacher, to be able to pick up a few classes a week in off season...

8. dawnsschmidt

dawnsschmidt Beach Comber

I'm into yoga, and am about to join the population of SoWal. If you can get me to the point where I can stand on my head and rest my knees on my elbows........I'm in! Be sure and let me know when you hit town!

9. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Contact The Studio in Seaside, Balance on 30A in Seagrove, and Rosemary Beach Fitness Center.

10. Cyndy

Cyndy Beach Comber

Thanks everyone for your input thus far. I still find it odd that summer is peak season, I always found it so stinking hot in summer! 'Course I lived much further inland back in the day.

How about the boating scene; much activity in winter? I am reminded my husband could renew his captain's license...

Thanks all, bwell.

11. Rick

Rick Beach Comber

Cyndy, Before becoming a sand sculptor I was an Architect in Colorado. We sold nearly everything, paid off every debt and greatly reduced our overhead, if you will. So living at on the SoWal beaches cost us less than living in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. It's all about perspective and priorities, right?