New traffic lights going up at 283 and 98

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by kurt, Oct 12, 2005.

1. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

2. Jennifer Steele

Jennifer Steele Beach Fanatic

Bea-u-tiful!!! :clap_1:

3. Kimmifunn

Kimmifunn Funnkalicious

Finally!!!!

4. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Get ready to watch out for the Red Light Runners. I think the lights will help people know who has the right of way, but remember to look both ways before shooting across.

5. southof30A

southof30A Beach Lover

The traffic lights on 98 are well needed and looong overdue. The traffic lights going up on 30-A in Rosemary Beach are just plain "aargh"! If memory serves, the first traffic lights on 30-A proper. Go Bif and Muffy!

6. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Well, most owners in Rosemary are from Atlanta, and they need their traffic lights to make them feel at home. :funn:

7. pk305

pk305 Beach Fanatic

I've been so favorable for the new lights on 98....at the same time, the chances of people running red lights on 98 are of great concern. At least now we know to WAIT until the coast is clear before we pull out from 395 for example. With the lights, we will all ASSUME that the coast is clear when we have green light!! I do hope that the warning signs of some type will remain on 98 so folks will know they are approaching potential red light. I don't know a thing about traffic/safety controls but would totally support whatever warning system works. I am already warning, warning, warning my family of drivers to BE MORE CAREFUL THAN EVER once these lights go up & not to ASSUME that Green means the coast is clear! Be safe!!

8. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

It seems that some of the Rosemary residents are already sourcing heavy drapes in anticipation of the red-yellow-green flash all night. Perhaps a timely late night run with a good-sized Sawzall would gain some fans?

9. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

No matter where you are, people run red lights. That's a fact of life. I think it's a good idea to continue being cautious at that intersection.

The older couple who manage our condo have lived in Seagrove for over 25 years and they said Rte. 98 is known as "bloody 98" because of all the fatalities on it. :sosad: Thank goodness for the new traffic lights!

10. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Green light means you have permission to look both ways.

11. ktmeadows

ktmeadows Beach Fanatic

Who's idea was that? I'm a little surprised that Rosemary Beach folks would want this. They already have stop signs. I'd hate to see stop lights all up and down 30-A. Guess that's the price we pay for growth!

12. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

Glad the lights are up. I always felt like the cops there were more dangerous than having nothing there at all. Far too many times when the people in front of us would be going the usual 2-5 over, and then would slam on the breaks at a seeming random moment so they'd be going 10 under close to the cpolice cars.

13. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    I agree on presence of traffic lights on 98 but shudder at the idea of traffic lights on 30-A. :puke:

14. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Actually, growth has nothing to do with the traffic light at Rosemary Beach. In fact, traffic studies show that even the east/west stop signs are unnecessary at this time.