• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWal Staff

Serving the Community!
Staff member
Apr 14, 2006
South Walon, FL
SoWal.com
Construction crews shifted U.S. 331 north and southbound traffic to the newly constructed bridge across Choctawhatchee Bay Monday, May 16.

North and southbound traffic will continue sharing the new bridge while work is completed to reconstruct the existing roadway approaches. All work on the new 2.4-mile structure is currently slated for completion in spring 2017.

The new bridge, combined with two adjoining construction projects that are widening U.S. 331 to four travel lanes between the Choctawhatchee Bay and I-10, represent an investment of more than $194 million in the state's transportation infrastructure. Together these projects enhance safety, improve mobility, and support future economic development potential for Walton County and the surrounding region.

The traffic shift permanently closes the boat launch at the former Wheeler Point Park that was located between the new bridge and Bay Grove Road South. The park will be replaced by a new recreational area beneath the southern approach of the new bridge. The recreational area will feature a public boat launch, fishing pier, restrooms, observation areas, and free parking spaces. It is scheduled to open at the conclusion of the bridge construction project in spring 2017.

For more project information and the latest traffic advisories, visit www.facebook.com/USHighway331. You may also follow the Florida Department of Transportation District Three on Twitter @myfdot_nwfl or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/MyFDOTNWFL.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I was near there this morning, so I took a cruise over the new bridge. Many memories of the "really old bridge", which was wooden trestles with a draw bridge, and a bridge keeper's shack. I'm not sure anyone will remember or care why the design of this set of bridges is so quirky, but for history sake, here it is: The" medium old concrete bridge" was offset from the existing causeways, so that people could still use the old wooden bridge during construction. I believe the old wooden bridge and causeway were constructed in 1936, but not totally sure. Anyway, when they came to build this new bridge, it was deemed environmentally unsound to widen the existing north causeway, so the continuation of the new bridge gently curves eastward and now stays elevated above the water, heading north. If we ever have to pile onto that bridge in case of hurricane evacuation, I can tell you, we will feel safe. And the view is even better. I've been waiting for a lot of decades to see some beautification of the causeways, and I'm sure it will be great. And as for the quirky design, to me, it looks like art.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
I was near there this morning, so I took a cruise over the new bridge. Many memories of the "really old bridge", which was wooden trestles with a draw bridge, and a bridge keeper's shack. I'm not sure anyone will remember or care why the design of this set of bridges is so quirky, but for history sake, here it is: The" medium old concrete bridge" was offset from the existing causeways, so that people could still use the old wooden bridge during construction. I believe the old wooden bridge and causeway were constructed in 1936, but not totally sure. Anyway, when they came to build this new bridge, it was deemed environmentally unsound to widen the existing north causeway, so the continuation of the new bridge gently curves eastward and now stays elevated above the water, heading north. If we ever have to pile onto that bridge in case of hurricane evacuation, I can tell you, we will feel safe. And the view is even better. I've been waiting for a lot of decades to see some beautification of the causeways, and I'm sure it will be great. And as for the quirky design, to me, it looks like art.

Awesome! And thanks for the info! Do you happen to have any pictures of the "really old bridge" to share?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
No, I wish I did. That would be a great find.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Just for giggles search the forum for some folks who didn't think we needed a bridge...

Wuchie

Beach Lover
Apr 10, 2012
Is there any way to access 30A without using 331? We are coming fromSt. Louis.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
If you head south out of Montgomery on I-65, you have to find some way to get to I-10 west of Crestview. At Crestview, you turn south off I-10 headed for Niceville and Destin, and the mid-bay bridge. When you hit 98, head east , through Sandestin, and then 30-A will appear on you right. Good luck. (Only the last ten or fifteen miles of 331 are "under construction", so a significant detour may not be worth it.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
South on I-65 to exit 115 Georgiana go left over interstate on Highway 55 follow (4 lane @65mph) to Andaloosa turn left at Zackbys. Follow to 331 in Opp,Al. The on to highway 98. Mile from 30A..Do Not go through Destin on any Saturday in season.....