New Walton County Dog Park

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by hutch, Nov 16, 2005.

1. hutch

hutch Beach Lover

Todays Destin Log had an story about a new ball park for just dogs that has been approved on HWY 331. Now this is a story that I like to hear or read about. Thanks to our fine county commissioners for donating the 2 acres. GOOD WORK. According to the story you can take your dog and let them run lose within the park without a lease. Once I check it out, I going to be sending my check in for a donation. My dog is already to go to meet new friends. The nonprofit group is called Ball Park Inc. Only four legged DAWGS allowed.

Has any one else heard of this?

the hutch

2. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

It was started about a year ago when they began asking for donations. It is long overdue. My guess is that it will be somewhere near the SoWal courthouse annex. That is also where the Boys and Girls Club will be built.

3. SoWalSally

SoWalSally Beach Fanatic

From Walton Sun

Some people do things out of the ordinary for their dogs.
    Some people paint their dog?s toenails or put sunglasses on them.
    Paris Hilton?s Chihuahua, Tinkerbell, often wears pink clothes and is toted around in a handbag.
    Deborah ?Spike? Alfassa of Santa Rosa Beach is building a park for her dogs. Alfassa has been frustrated for years that there was not a good location to take her dogs where they could romp around. Dogs are permitted on the beach in Walton County, on a limited basis.
    Last year, Alfassa started Bark Park Inc., a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a dog park in Walton County. The hard work is finally paying off.
    Walton County has donated 2 acres off of J.D. Miller Road, near the U.S. 331 bridge, to Bark Park Inc. for the dog park. Alfassa hopes to have the park open by Christmas. ?Everything is ready to go,? she said. ?Everyone is trying to get the ball rolling. I think we?re going to be very good for the community.?
    Some work on the land must be completed before the park can open.
    An old chain-link fence with barbed wire near the park?s parking area will be removed. Water hookups and a fence that?s less expensive and blends with the environment better than a chain link fence will also be installed.
    Initially, the park will have two areas for dogs to play off the leash, one for big dogs, one for small ones.
    Next year, Alfassa plans to add an agility course that will have obstacles for the dogs to play on. She also wants to include a pet cemetery. Alfassa expects the park to be open from dawn until dusk.
    Alfassa said Bark Park Inc. representatives are meeting with Walton County officials to determine what services the county will provide and what the dog park is responsible for. She said the county is expected to mow the grass at the park and pay for trash pickup.
    Volunteers will staff the park, handing out baggies so their owners can clean up after their pet.
    Bark Park Inc. continues to hold fund-raisers for the park. Benches are being placed at the park, and for $200, a donor can have their name or their pet?s name inscribed on the bench.

4. jbcox2002

jbcox2002 Beach Crab

Any more news on this dog park? Has it been able to be opened? I am in Okaloosa County (just moved here Dec 05) and am having a heck of a time finding a dog friendly place to take my babies....I would be very interested in helping with this project either manual work or financially if possible. Please send me an email to jbcox2002@msn.com or reply back here if you have any more information and/or updates. Thank you!!

5. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

The Bark Park was approved by the County Commissioners at the last meeting, and it will be located behind the South Walton Courthouse Annex. I have not heard an expected completion date.