No Free Range Dogs

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Uncle Timmy, Apr 19, 2010.

1. DuneAHH

DuneAHH Beach Fanatic

Saint is SOOOO adorable!

2. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

I've never met a large dog or puppy I didn't like (rat dogs are a different story), but I am frequently amazed at the behavior of some beach dogs and their owners. Can't imagine what it would be like for someone who is unused to or afraid of dogs or little kids who can easily get knocked down by them.

I think my favorite moment was when 2 huge dogs came barreling up to me and the owner actually got mad at ME for firmly telling their dogs to get down and not jump on me.

3. DuneAHH

DuneAHH Beach Fanatic

What is WITH people like that??? :bang:
    must be some kind of mutant entitlement gene.

4. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

I wanna know whyyyyyyyy in hail I have never laid eyes on Saint??? Uncle Timmy got some splainin' to do.

5. Uncle Timmy

Uncle Timmy Beach Fanatic

Oh trust me -when the 2 dogs are together no mere 'people' get any attention. They are obsessed with each other. They just roll by in some bizarre yellow-chocolate furry blur.

6. Uncle Timmy

Uncle Timmy Beach Fanatic

Sorry to hear that.

You might want to consider picking up some pepper spray. You will probably never use it but it might make your wife feel a bit more secure knowing it is an option.

I got one that clips to your pocket from BassPro. I bought it after the dog and I were cornered by 2 aggressive dogs while walking in a neighboring subdivision. We sat there in the middle of the street surrounded by these dogs who ran out from someone's yard. The homeowners never even bothered to come out and get their dogs under control.

I can't defend my dog against 2 mean dogs so if they had attacked we would have been in trouble.

Don't want to use it, and won't unless a dog actually nips at us, but I am afraid its only a matter of time. Maybe then, the owners will learn to keep their dogs under control.

7. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

I'm afraid pepper spray won't work on the beach. Much too windy and it would probably blow back on me. I now carry an bamboo pole and had to use it on the first beach walk I took it on. I really wanted to use it on the dog's owner. As his dog ran toward me and lunged showing all his pearly whites, he had the nerve to tell me I was the one scaring his dog!!! Between animal control and Beach Patrol I hope the guy learned his lesson. He was a problem last year too with his unleashed, aggressive dog!!!

8. Douglas the Intrepid

Douglas the Intrepid Beach Fanatic

On the shores of paradise, Seagrove Beach
    So what was the reaction of animal control and beach patrol? Good for you for getting something done!

9. Gidget

Gidget Beach Fanatic

Terrifying! He's incorrect about the easement rights and that he "owned" the beach to the gulf and therefore YOU had no right to be there - I mean that's nuts right?

SO sorry that happened - poor thing!!

G

10. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

When we lived on the beach our deed DID say we owned the property to the Gulf of Mexico. There has been no ruling on that by the court yet but the unleashed dog WAS against the law in this County and I did not respond to his remark that he owned the beach. I was not going to "chase that rabbit" so to speak but just got back to the unleashed dog every time he tried to divert the conversation away from the subject at hand. But you are right about the nuts part.

11. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

take your pup somewhere else for romping. go find some trails in a nearby forest (behind your house or other parks, etc). let her have some fun without having to worry about those dam uncivilized dogs in the hood.

nothing better than finding a completely deserted, wide open space and taking off the leash and letting her fetch, run, jump and explore to her hearts content. oh, I do miss those days.

also, you know the importance of socialization for the dog. take her to Seaside for walks, or other spots outside of your neighborhood where you shouldn't run into roaming dogs. I'm sure you already do this often.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  12. heartbren

heartbren Beach Fanatic

Just awful

Oh my God! That is just awful and I feel terrible for those that witnessed this happen. In your own backyard to. I love pit bulls, but they are so strong and you really need to make sure they are enclosed in an area they cannot eat or dig their way out of. I am so sorry to hear this story. I would hate to witness something like that. What a nightmare.