• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
So the District 2 county commissioner appointed the District 2 representative to the planning commission this morning at the BCC meeting. The new planning commissioner is from Santa Rosa Beach. What this means is that there is no representative from the North End period.

Here is the "north end" representative:

John W. Roberts | John W. Roberts, Attorney at Law

Please remind me which part of the county has absolutely no representation. Because I keep hearing people claim the north runs everything. That is a sick joke. The north does not have even token representation and absolutely no one in power cares.

Patriot Games

Beach Lover
Aug 28, 2014
But the people who put him there are from the north end. I'm sorry your District 2 commissioner is owned by the SBA, she had to put an SBA member on there because they told her to. I'm sorry your Districts representation was up for bid and hey, didn't you want a "LAWYER" for citizen representation? (SARCASM INTENDED) So do you think he will listen to the citizens or the lawyers and developers at planning commission meetings? Danny call Cecelia and tell her you are a volunteer for the board and remind her how many votes you got from people who support you. See what she says, even better, write her and post her response. I thought you had to live or own property in the District you represented unless you were appointed to an "at large" position?:dunno:

Remind her that she can un-appoint and re-appoint any time she choses.

Last edited:

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Guess there are no Small Business Alliance members in her district. She also seemed to reverse her position concerning "new blood" as she also appointed him to the Code Enforcement Board. No candidate from the north in her district.

Her constituents now have no representation on two volunteer boards!

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
As I continue to point out, the voters in the North did not cause this problem but we are sure paying for it. Now that the "volunteer" boards have been adjusted, the common citizen has almost no representation. North or South common citizen. Someone needs to be on these boards who will ask hard questions and enforce the law.

liz coats

Beach Lover
Jun 19, 2012
This forum is amusing and confusing for someone from the outside who has vacationed in South Walton all my life. It does seem that the "leaders" seem to have an agenda to control and restrict what goes on in South Walton. Small business seems to be the enemy, yet the business community has driven the economy of the area. It also seems that anyone who lives north of the bay is little more than an annoying redneck.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
This forum is amusing and confusing for someone from the outside who has vacationed in South Walton all my life. It does seem that the "leaders" seem to have an agenda to control and restrict what goes on in South Walton. Small business seems to be the enemy, yet the business community has driven the economy of the area. It also seems that anyone who lives north of the bay is little more than an annoying redneck.

Liz:

Let me try to summarize this all for you.

Walton County has a very corrupted local government.

Those doing the corrupting have ties to people in very high places within Law Enforcement, Regional and State Government.

Developers and several individuals in positions of power have control of the County and MOST of its elected officials.

South Walton, and let's just be frank, the BEACHES, are the cash cow that keeps this little North Florida (sometimes Southern Alabama) County running.

Without the beaches there is NOTHING.

The powers that be have had to change their process in the money grabbing due to several local individuals that have been brave enough to stand up to them and call B.S. on several things, not the least of which is the sad excuse for a Board of County Commissioners, all but one of whom is corrupted (IMO).

Our County operates it daily business as it it were the 1800's and not 2015. It's a prime example of; It's not WHAT you know, but WHO you know. That's how dozens upon dozens of related family members have County Jobs and they can't articulate themselves out of a wet paper bag, let alone account for money.

The criminal element is in a full panic as they are having to quickly adjust their schemes due to cover their tracks. They recruit small business owners to create a Front Operation that allows a PAC to operate under the guise of a group that fights for the rights of the little guy. All the while, supporting the Big Guy and Crooks.

As for the Redneck Comment, while our area is diverse with many different life style choices and appearances, most of the people that post on this site are well educated and well spoken. They are true friends to this community. This is not a battle of North vs. South. Its a fight of good vs. evil. Unfortunately, the evil is winning.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Well, as one of the "annoying rednecks," I certainly see how you get those impressions. Reality is that the business community is very important to this area as in any other area of the country. Small business is the backbone of any thriving community and we certainly need more small businesses in the county. What is controversial here is the "small business association" that in fact promotes an agenda that favors large developers and seems to be attempting to control the county government. There is also a "NIMBY" group who have their piece of paradise and often seem to have a "no vacancy" sign out for everyone else. They are vocal far in excess of their real strength. But thankfully there is a majority of citizens who want the county to grow responsibly and want everyone to prosper. How we achieve those common goals is often the fly in the ointment. Our real problem going forward is getting that majority to the polls and educating them on who has their best interests at heart.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
John G, IMHO the word "corrupt" is thrown around far too much these days. A difference of opinion or goals does not equate corruption. It is far more effective to present facts and let citizens draw their own conclusions about whether individuals are corrupt, inept, ignorant or just wrong. To do otherwise is to run the risk of being dismissed as the "boy who cried wolf."

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011

Vacationed here all your life? Wow! Impressive! Have you ever actually lived here and participated in local government? If not....from this "redneck" living north of the bay, I'd say, you don't have a dog in this fight. Enjoy your vacation!!