Not so bright person LOCKING sea kayaks to beach access

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Duchess, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Duchess

Duchess Beach Lover

I've been in town for the week, hubby lives here full-time, lovely visit. Spoke with a gentleman twice this week about him locking his sea kayaks to the beach access walk-over. I will not identify the location. I assumed he was a visitor and tried to educate him in a positive way. He says he's been coming here for 50+ years, yadda, yadda, yadda, and that everyone else does it. He actually ties his property up just behind a sign that says it's illegal and the sign mentions the county code number. I pointed this out to him and he says it's still okay for him to do it. I don't want anyone to lose their property but this seems particularly egregious. Does the county police this? I know it would take a lot of time and manpower. What would you have done? I told him he's really just hurting the turtles.....

2. seabythegrove

seabythegrove Beach Fanatic

How do the turtles know how to avoid the beach vendor's chairs and umbrellas that are left over night?

3. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

I took a long beach walk today and think I took a break on that very same walk over. If not it is a common problem and I thought the very same thing. There was a kayak on each side of the walk over I was sitting on today. And I will also tell you the folks coming to this area the longest and locals alike are the worst offenders. They just think they can do as they please. When we lived on the beach we threw away everything that was left behind overnight on the beach and this was several years ago. We maintained a turtle friendly beach and had a sign posted so it should not have been a surprise to those who had no chairs the next day. It gave us great pleasure to pitch stuff late at night. One family actually purchased lounges three times before they caught on!!! We laughed every time we saw them with brand new lounges with the tags still attached.

4. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

We don't have a kayak yet, but were thinking of buying one to keep at our cottage there. So, if we do, is there an easy way to get the kayak up and down the dune stairs? Or, another option would be to drive the kayak to a flat beach where there are not stairs if we're going to bring it back after each use. Suggestions?

5. Arkiehawg

Arkiehawg Beach Fanatic

Contact code enforcement and the S.O. and report it. Being ignorant and stubborn doesn't give him the right to violate the laws. If you really are concerned about the turtles (and I believe you are) you won't think twice about reporting him and getting his property removed from the beach.

6. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

We just use the toggle handles at the front and back of the kayak and slide it up or down the stairs. It's not hard once you get the hang of it. One person can do it but it's easier with two. We just consider it part of the beach exercise program.

It is so beautiful when everyone gets their stuff off the beach at the end of the day.

7. 30a Saluki

30a Saluki Beach Lover

Paula- I recently purchased a set of kayak wheels, but they are the smaller diameter wheels, probably no more than 10". The problem with that is the wheels sort of jam up against the step when you are pulling the kayak up the access, as opposed to rolling over the steps. I am going to try a set with 16" bicycle type tires, I will let you know how that works out, won't be until September though. I am attaching link. By the way, the wheels work great everywhere else, makes kayak seem like it weighs 5 lbs!
    http://www.outdoorplay.com/Paddleboy-ATC-Kayak-Cart?sc=7&category=268

8. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Thank you! We'll be looking at buying a kayak or two in the next few years. We have a place to store them, but we need to get them across the street and down (and then up) a lot of stairs at the beach access. Would love the kayaks to feel like they weight 5 lbs!

9. KISH7374

KISH7374 Beach Fanatic

Time to also invest in a Bow Flex, that helps make the kayaks lighter and makes you healthier. LOL.

10. T-Boy

T-Boy Beach Comber

Ignorance has no bounds. Would never dawn on me to leave something on the beach overnight.

11. FoX

FoX Beach Fanatic

2 wrongs don't make a right. What you do is illegal and immoral.

12. Zebraspots

Zebraspots Beach Fanatic

It is clearly posted that any items left on the beach overnight will be thrown away.

I don't care who enforces the rules, as long as they are enforced.

13. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

I have lived here for a long, long time and walk our beach year round. That sign you mention above was posted five years ago and they DO NOT always pick up things left on the beach overnight. You will see those signs at most walkovers and it also says, "no exceptions" which is a real joke. Our tourists have been reading those signs for that long and know our county is NOT consistent in enforcing anything!!! That's way they ignore our signs. End of story.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  14. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

If you are referring to our practice of keeping a turtle friendly beach illegal and immoral in front of our condo., you are wrong. Our deed stated we owned the property to the Gulf of Mexico with no mention of a mean high water line. It was our property plain and simple and we had signs posted about not leaving things behind on our beach. Please get this right, our beach was NOT private and we welcomed everyone but we insisted they left our beach the way they found it - CLEAN and FREE of all debris! We were within our legal right to do so.

15. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

It is time for the Supreme Court of Florida to step up and declare all beaches in Florida, as they are in California, public domain. And yes, I live on a so called "private" beach.

16. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

Are you saying by declaring beaches in Florida public domain we are to ignore the genuine needs of the nesting turtles? We are to let the public take over to dig massive holes and leave items on the beach to prevent momma turtles from nesting only to have them return to the Gulf and spill out her eggs in the water? Is that really what you are saying? I made it clear we did not treat our beach as if it was private but we expected folks to leave it the same way they found it. You really think that's too much to ask? I don't really understand your reasoning so could you explain your comment, please?