• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
We found out yesterday that the meetings that are being held now between the wedding industry representatives, residents, and others are not regular county workshops but roundtable discussions, which was the reason given why they were not publicly advertised. They plan to meet weekly up until time for the nuisance ordinance to be presented to the county commission in public session on March 9. Their goal is to have a set of recommendations that all parties can agree on to present to the commissioners. The people participating in the roundtables are ones who had either contacted commissioners with concerns about the ordinance or had contacted Dawn Moliterno, who is facilitating the discussions. She said they are trying to keep the working group to a manageable size but also that anyone interested in participating in the discussions is welcome to contact her at dawn@waltonareachamber.com.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Quick question - if they are regularly renting out homes as commercial venues for weddings (which would certainly piss me off as a neighbor), don't they have to be in a commercial zone?

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Not necessarily to disagree, but rule making can get complicated. If you live in a residential area and your son or daughter wants to have a wedding at your house, there's nothing barring that. If you are a home renter rather than owner, that can still legally happen. If a friend want to get married at your home, that would be OK too with your permission. Renting a home out for weddings does seem like a different ball game, but where would you draw the line as far as the rules go? I think that's what has been wrestled with for some time with this situation.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
What is the standard used in other situations where people are running a commercial business out of a residential property?

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
There may be other situations like that in residential areas, but the only ones I can think of are ones where there is a pre-existing nonconforming use that can be continued as long as it is not expanded, and ones where there is a home-based business. I'm not sure what standards a home-based business must meet. That would be in the code, or maybe some business owners would know off the top of their heads.
I think a more basic question would be whether a wedding would be defined as a commercial activity and if so what factors would make a wedding commercial.

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Generally the homes rented out for weddings cater to them, however they are available if someone wants to just rent a big arse house. Many rental companies do not rent homes for weddings and specifically bar it. This side industry of rental companies who cater to wedding parties came about in part to that.

I think there should be a distinction between a private home that caters to weddings versus a "residential" property owned by a corporation or LLC that specifically caters to weddings.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Some owners charge a premium when they know there is a wedding party. Some wedding parties are not truthful to owners, to avoid paying the premium.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Some owners charge a premium when they know there is a wedding party. Some wedding parties are not truthful to owners, to avoid paying the premium.

Yes, and as a former employee of a rental company it isn't fun. The other reason for denying a wedding is that by the law, the rental itself can only hold the number of people that can sleep there, due to fire code.