• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
Anyone have any recommendations for a good - clean nursing home in the area? Maybe this is too much to ask - but one with kidney dialysis on site.

Thanks for your help

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Beachlover2 said:
Anyone have any recommendations for a good - clean nursing home in the area? Maybe this is too much to ask - but one with kidney dialysis on site.

Thanks for your help
The only nursing home of which I am aware is located across the side street from the Publix shopping center in Sandestin. If you want, the next time I am over that way, I can stop by and find out the name and number and relay the info. Just let me know if you want me to do so.

Destiny

Beach Lover
Dec 29, 2005
West Central Georgia
Beachlover2, I sent you a PM with a link for information on the 4 counties around Walton. Most don't have Dialysis but some will have a contract with a center and can transport as needed.
Good Luck with your search!!

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
I wish I was there to help. I work in a nursing home and could at least help you look. Let me know if you have questions.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Though I don't know the nursing home situation in the SoWal area, there may be places online I believe that give reports on the quality of different nursing homes and probably also list the nursing homes and rank the ones in the area.

SJ: Thanks for the quote, by the way. I was cranky yesterday and woke up cranky and this shifted my perspective! Writings by the Dalai Lama are great for this. I enjoyed his book, The Compassionate Life -- it does help one stay peaceful, doesn't it.

?So, let us reflect on what is truly of value in life, what gives meaning to our lives, and set our priorities on the basis of that?.For our life to be of value, I think we must develop basic good human qualities ? warmth, kindness, compassion. Then our life becomes meaningful and more peaceful ? happier."

-His Holiness the Dalai Lama, The Art of Happiness

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Paula said:
Though I don't know the nursing home situation in the SoWal area, there may be places online I believe that give reports on the quality of different nursing homes and probably also list the nursing homes and rank the ones in the area.

:doh: Dang! Dont' know why I didn't post this last night, but you can go to www.medicare.gov and go to nursing home compare. You can seach by city within a certain radius and get info on where facilities are and how they rank with the state, (surveys, etc.).

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
It's been nearly nine years since I dealt directly with a nursing home, but the one next to Publix at Sandestin is Delta Health Care Center. More recently, I know families who have used Destin Healthcare & Rehabilitation on Airport Road and The Manor at Bluewater Bay, and both have been satisfied with the facilities, the staff and quality of care.

Don't know about dialysis... :dunno:

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
Thank you all for your help - we currently have my father in law in a home up here in Chicago - but things are changing in my husbands job and we possibly might be moving sooner rather than later to the area - we would have to take Dad with us - we can't leave him behind - so I thought it would be best to start doing my research so I am prepared if we do end up moving sooner than expected.

I have in-laws in the area - but of course they are always too busy to help - so I turned to SoWal to get me the info I need.

I will do the research and probably visit the ones we like when we are down there in a month.

Thank you all for your help!!!!
This board really is a great help in so many ways.

Thanks Kurt and all involved.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Beachlover2,
My dad was in a nursing home in Marianna, about 45 min. north of Panama City. It wasn't fancy but they were very loving, caring people. I would suggest that you find a place that is also Medicaid approved, so your FIL can continue living in the same home, IF he eventually runs out of funds. My dad did deplete all his savings and had to go on Medicaid. It's hard, but it's a fact.
Could his current home help with some of this research? They should be able to unless you don't want them to know that you might be pulling him out. Beds are always at a premium.
Good luck to you.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
Thanks JR

He will definitely run out of money. The supply has been depleting ever since we had to get a live-in caregiver for him and my MIL over four years ago. (Mom had alzheimers and died last year). We have him in the Claremont in Buffalo Grove right now. They are taking pretty good care of him and the fact that he can be wheeled down to his dialysis instead of having to go outside the facility every other day helps. He will still have a place there when he goes on medicaid - just that he will have to move into a semi-private room - which he will hate.

We are dealing with what ifs right now. Nothing is for sure - but moving him and getting it set up will take more time than anything else since we already have a place to live down there (even if we decide to build a house we have a condo for now to live in)- so starting the research now so that if it does happen sooner rather than later I am prepared.

As much as I want to move now - I realize it is probably better for us to stay put right now - because of Dad - the move would be really tough on him. We will see what happens with my husbands job.

Thanks everyone for your help.