• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Creeklover

Beach Lover
Dec 6, 2007

Around 9pm Sunday evening, a Walton county deputy on patrol stopped a dark colored mustang traveling at a high rate of speed on US Hwy 98 near the Sandestin area. The vehicle was traveling at a speed of 80 mph in a 45mph zone. After the vehicle was stopped deputies realized the one driving was an off duty deputy with the sheriff?s office. During the investigation deputies determined the driver had been drinking. The driver, Cullen M. Coraine, was charged with one count of driving while under the influence and he was also cited for exceeding the maximum posted speed limit.

Walton Deputy Pullings says he was parked at the Palm Plaza, watching a gas station that had had its front door cracked in the last week. The deputy heard the sound of a performance engine and saw a dark car traveling at a high rate of speed. He pursued at a high speed, pacing the suspect at 80 miles per hour. Deputy Pullings was joined by Deputy Hogeboom.

After stopping the vehicle, Deputy Pullings said the white male said he knows he was speeding and apologized, then began to speak in a low voice, not understandable and sounding like he was still apologizing. The deputy also says he could smell the odor of an alcoholic beverage.

A supervisor, Lt. Miracle, arrived and approached the driver. Twice he asked the driver if he had anything to drink, he is reported to have said, ?no.? The driver complied when asked to step out of the vehicle and onto the sidewalk. The driver was asked if he would submit to a Standardized Field Sobriety Test. He told the deputy he did not want Deputy Hogeboom to administer the test and refused two other requests to take the test.

The driver, Cullen M. Coraine, was arrested and transported to the South Walton Sheriff?s Substation. He was transported to the Walton County Jail Facility and was held until 1st appearance. He has since bonded out on a $ 500.00 bond.

At this time he has been placed on administrative leave depending the outcome of an internal investigation.

Alan Osborne

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2008
deputy pullings

Deputy pullings is retired military and his integrity is intact. There will be no politricks when it comes to deputy pullings. He will do the right thing, I assure you.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I wasn't maligning the arresting officer - I was hoping that it was all recorded so noone could try and claim there was any motivation or inconsistency in his arresting another officer.

Alan Osborne

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2008
No Foul

I wasn't maligning the arresting officer - I was hoping that it was all recorded so noone could try and claim there was any motivation or inconsistency in his arresting another officer.

Didn't think you were SB, just making a observation. Before Deputy Pullings was hired by the WCSD he applied for a job with me. If I had a position for him I would have hired him, his resume was impressive and I interviewed him. I was simply commenting from first hand expierence. Sometimes some "outside "blood is good for an organization.:D

rajs4

Beach Lover
Aug 20, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Please provide source and link if available, if this is not written by you, and if not, contain article in quote tags.
Thanks!

Here ya go...

Walton County deputy arrested for DUI, placed on leave

Comments 126 | Recommend 18

November 24, 2008 - 4:40 PM
Robbyn Brooks
Daily News
A Walton County sheriff's deputy has been placed on administrative leave and charged with driving under the influence.
Cullen Coraine, a deputy for more than five years, was pulled over at about 9 p.m. Sunday for speeding.
He was traveling at 80 mph in a 45 mph zone near Silver Sands Factory Stores on U.S. Highway 98, according to Capt. Eddie Farris with the Walton County Sheriff's Office.
The deputy who stopped Coraine recognized him as being an off-duty deputy, Farris said. Deputies determined Cullen had been drinking. Farris said he refused to take field sobriety tests and was arrested for one count of driving while under the influence. Cullen also was cited for speeding, a Sheriff's Office news release said.
The news release also mentioned Cullen was taken to the Walton County Jail and was released on a $500 bond.
Farris said Cullen's leave is effective until the outcome of an internal investigation. His permanent employment status will be decided then.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
As someone who knows the deputy who was arrested, I know him as a good guy. If he is guilty, innocent until proven otherwise, then yes he should be held to a higher standard. Those of us who work in public safety have that responsibility to the public IMO. We have seen the tragedy that drinking and driving has on those who are involved and those who surround those involved, the families. I appreciate the deputies who performed their duties even when they could have gotten away with letting one of their own go. You never know, they may have saved multiple lives.