• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I decided to post this as it's own thread because I believe the "PCB not so stupid now" thread kind of ran its course.

After reading every post in that thread, the things that stood out to me were that the message which SWGB and a few others received was (a) biased towards PCB, (b) not rooted in fact, and (c) was an intentional misinformation campaign designed to drum up a grass roots effort to speed the new airport along.

As I mentioned in my last post on that thread, I was suprised that nobody had bothered to talk to Okaloosa Regional Airport. Well, I did, and it appears that it is going to be around for a good while. Here is their response from the Director of the Airport, Jerry Sealy:

Will,

There is absolutely no truth to the rumor that VPS will be closing on 2010. We have just completed negotiations with the Air Force for a 20 year lease of the property ? 130 acres. We will be spending approximately $14 million over the next 16 months to relocate the rental car operation and an additional $12 million for the Terminal Expansion in fiscal year ?09. Eglin?s chairman of the Enhancement Committee, Bob Arnold, has repeatedly told those asking the question that there is not any attempt nor plans to close VPS now or in the future.

You?re continued support and interest in the Okaloosa County Airports is truly appreciated.

Regards,

Jerry Sealy,

Airports Director

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I did go to the source, hence my post with info from one of the airport commissioners.

Thanks for following up, as I was mollified by my conversation with him, so I just ignored the rest of the thread and its devolution. :D

Did you tell him the reason you were asking is because of the email being sent out? They may need to do some damage control and arse whoopin'! :dunno:

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I did go to the source, hence my post with info from one of the airport commissioners.

Thanks for following up, as I was mollified by my conversation with him, so I just ignored the rest of the thread and its devolution. :D

Did you tell him the reason you were asking is because of the email being sent out? They may need to do some damage control and arse whoopin'! :dunno:

yeah...I did mention that I was asking because of the email. I think that may be why he thew the Bob Arnold comment in there.

...and now that you reminded me, I do remember you saying you talked to a commissioner. Sorry about that. I kinda focused on the email end of it. :D

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Thanks for the informative post. I, personally, had my doubts about VPS closing as too much construction has take place in the past year. This is a great board! You people keep on top of everything.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
The one thing that I didn't ask in my email was if any money for the airport improvement came from the FAA. Of course, it's a moot point, now, but had it been true, the FAA probably would have blocked the closure. They will always get their money out of a project before they allow an airport to be closed!

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
...and Orlando.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
It would be nice if the terminal expansion indicated that more carriers and non-stops were on the horizon. I'd love to see nonstops to DC and NYC.

The three times I was at the airport between 12/20 - 12/31 there were nonstop flights back and forth to LaGuardia operated by ASA (Delta Connection). I can't find them, now. They must have been seasonal...