• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
:roll: Calling on all your memories of Spring in Sowal from a natives or ole timers view. Did any of you grow up in Sowal or visit in the 50's, 60's and 70's? What did you do before everything was built up? Could you camp on the beach back then? Have bonfires? Was it very built up here in the 70's? Wonder what the first restaurant was like? Was there a hang out place? :cool: Was it mostly scrub forest then? :blink: Just curious...

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Hangout places in the 70's:

Day - South Walton Superette on Hwy 98. Have a draft beer while you shop, or just have a beer. (I'm kinda fond of this one, and not because of the beer! :blush: )

Night - Grayton Store and downtown Grayton Beach.

Best Camping / Keg Party spot - Campbell Lake. Turn left off 98 on the two-rut road by the Gulfarium sign.

Gulf Trace: by day, best place to learn to drive. by night, best make-out spot.

Best Beach - all of them. :love:

Last edited:

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
Sounds like maybe there was a little funn history at the Superette. :cool:

I'm glad to know there are some natives or ole timer's out there. Which are you? Raised there or spring breaked there?:D Are any of those places still there?

Thanks for the post, SN . It was awful quiet on this thread. :clap_1:

Oh, BTW, sowal posters, I passed 100 posts 20 posts ago!!! Yeah!!!

Last edited:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Actually, my family owned the Superette at that time, and naturally I "worked" ;-) there as a teenager. So, not as much funn as one would expect...but at that age, it was a great way to meet people. Especially boys. :D If not for that, there would have been no social life at all !!

I was seventeen when we sold it, and it closed for good a year later. By then I had a car and could go find my own funn. But, you spend most of every day at a place for years, especially your formative years, and it becomes a beautiful, nostalgic memory.

The building is still on 98; I think it is Redfish Interiors now. It was Bea's Interiors for many years. The Grayton Store is now the Red Bar. Of course, Campbell Lake is now in Topsail State Park, and now there are houses on all the cul-de-sacs in Gulf Trace.

It was great to grow up here...and at the time, nobody realized how great it really was.

Last edited:

drunkkenartist

Beach Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
Sunny Hills, FL
www.drunkkenart.com
:roll: Calling on all your memories of Spring in Sowal from a natives or ole timers view. Did any of you grow up in Sowal or visit in the 50's, 60's and 70's? What did you do before everything was built up? Could you camp on the beach back then? Have bonfires? Was it very built up here in the 70's? Wonder what the first restaurant was like? Was there a hang out place? :cool: Was it mostly scrub forest then? :blink: Just curious...
Better yet, if anyone can post pics that would be grayt! I got here in 85...I wish I had seen it before....

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
Moved here full time in 1979.
no telephone.......had to put your name on a slow list (took 4 mo)
no cable.............I think that came maybe 5 years later.
Raising 3 kids was difficult but they had the beach to themselves and loved every minute of it.
bon fires in the front yard (this was "on" 30A)
We were a close family..........pretty remote in those days.

beacheart

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2005
The superette was the only place to buy food. We usually brought ours down in coolers. We did not go out to eat unless it was into Destin. We had bonfires built with driftwood & had weiner roasts. No cable tv so we usually played games at night or sat on the porch and talked and looked at the vivid starry sky. The beach was practically deserted. The dunes were huge. 30-A was remote until Seaside was discovered through the movie the Truman Show.

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
That sounds so beautiful. Was PCB a little built up already? Was Thomas' there yet? What grayt memories your family made. :love: I bet the big dunes were breathtaking. :blink: Did ya'll see a lot of wildlife on the beach? Grayt story by your brother steele mama! Thanks for the link. Sounds like there was lots of wildlife, and lots of good funn!

Last edited:

liquorqueen

Beach Lover
Feb 25, 2007
You'll enjoy this! Growing up in Grayton during the summers in the 60's, I can remember my mother running out of the beach house and grabbing the hose to chase the wild hogs (boars) from our garbage cans. I can remember one time there were four wild boars trying to get our trash. I seemed like it was a common occurence during those summers.