• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Yzarctoo

Beach Fanatic
Mar 6, 2009
I am looking for information on the following two ladies:

Bama Love lived in Point Washington, sold vegetables, story has it that she killed off two husbands...

Lura Ward McCook...ran the old Grayton Hotel until 1928...

In any information...or even a source to search would be appreciated.

Ann Morrell Grayton Beach)
GBNA BOARD
yzarctoo@aol.com

steele mama

Beach Fanatic
Mar 14, 2005
Newnan, Georgia
Sounds very interesting! Unfortunately or fortunately I am not THAT old and don't remembering hearing about them. I bet shallowsnole can help. She's not old but she does know some oldtimers. You might want to send a private message to her.

2bohemians

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
www.searchthe30a.com

Bama Love lived in Point Washington, sold vegetables, story has it that she killed off two husbands...

GBNA BOARD
yzarctoo@aol.com

Just sent you a pm :D

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach

GBNA BOARD
yzarctoo@aol.com
:welcome: would love to hear more about Bama Love!

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington

GBNA BOARD
yzarctoo@aol.com

Bama Love...all I know is what my parents mentioned while I was growing up, as she was gone LONG before I was born. I don't know about the killing off two husbands, but I have heard that she preached the gospel and also served as a midwife.

If you go down the dirt portion of East Point Washington Road off off 395, at the end of the long straight stretch, the trail that goes straight (where lazy people like to dump :bang:)...that's the "old Bama Love place." When I was young, there were still kumquat trees in there.

Fate Love, for whom the creek/bayou that runs in the middle of Bayou Creek Estates (between Ivy Lane and Dick Saltsman Rd) was named, was one of the husbands. I think.

Folks who could tell you more: Lorraine Morgan or Marie Marshall (daughters of Alfred & Mary Barrett, Lorraine is the mom of Rachel at For The Health of It) or Albert Butler. If you know Grace White, she might be a good source of info too.

Hope this helps! :wave:

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
You might also want to contact E.L. "Sonny" Hollingsworth. He lives in DeFuniak and hangs out at Tresca Lake in SoWal now. His aunt and uncle were Eileen and Tuff Smith of Grayton Beach and he spent many days of his youth over 80 years ago there. Eileen Smith and Sonny's mother, Anna Reardon, were sister-in-laws. I'll try to copy some of this and email him and try to remember to ask him when I see him tomorrow.

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
If you could contact Carol McCrite, she might have information as well. She founded Grit & Grace (community theater based on local histories), and wrote a lot of articles and books on local history. I believe her husband Dick McCrite is on Facebook, maybe you could trace her through him.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Bama Love...all I know is what my parents mentioned while I was growing up, as she was gone LONG before I was born. I don't know about the killing off two husbands, but I have heard that she preached the gospel and also served as a midwife.

If you go down the dirt portion of East Point Washington Road off off 395, at the end of the long straight stretch, the trail that goes straight (where lazy people like to dump :bang:)...that's the "old Bama Love place." When I was young, there were still kumquat trees in there.

Fate Love, for whom the creek/bayou that runs in the middle of Bayou Creek Estates (between Ivy Lane and Dick Saltsman Rd) was named, was one of the husbands. I think.

Folks who could tell you more: Lorraine Morgan or Marie Marshall (daughters of Alfred & Mary Barrett, Lorraine is the mom of Rachel at For The Health of It) or Albert Butler. If you know Grace White, she might be a good source of info too.

Hope this helps! :wave:

I heard Bama Love attended Pt. Washington Assembly of God years ago. Earl Barrett would know, or his parents.