• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
We have a very intense sheriff's race in progress in Walton County. All the candidates should be heard when it is possible to access them.

Today, Dennis Wise held an open question and answer session and introduction get togethe at the Smiling Fish Cafe between 1:00 P.M. and 2:00 P.M..

For all of SoWal's expressions of interest in the sheriff's political race and the opinions of all SoWal voters and, obviously non voters, the turn out was amazing! Two people, my wife and I attended. Please, SoWallers, no longer tell me how interested you are in hearing the facts and opinions candidates for local office can offer when you can't take the time to go and listen to them.

The conversation with Dennis Wise was informative and very interesting. He has no axe to grind with anyone and after talking with him at lenght (For over an hour since we were the only ones to show enough interest to show up) it is obvious to me he would make a wonderful sheriff for Walton County. But then what would I know, I was the only one interested enough to show up to hear one of our candidates for sheriff share his program and plans for one of the most important positions in Walton County.

In addition, as stated previously, the turn out on Wednesday night was extremely light and disappointing. When I hear all the complaints and griping on this board about what a lousy job the elected sheriff is doing, I will certainly know where to place the blame and it won't necessarily be with the sheriff!

Danny Burns

Beach Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
Inlet Beach
www.myspace.com
Mr. Wise actually knocked on my door a few weeks ago and I spoke with him for a short while. He seems like a reasonable man with a descent plan for Walton county and is certainly better than what we have now. Come on people! I see a lot of bickering about the presidential race by people who obviously have already got their minds made up. What's the point? How about a little attention to what matters here locally.

Andy, I love your father's quote, but at age 55, I am have become a centrist and want ALL Americans to be served better by our political leaders. Neither the extreme left NOR the extreme right will do anything but pull us apart. This serves no one and should be obvious to Democrats and Republicans alike.

Change has always come from the bottom up, not the top down, anyway. We need true revolution in Washington. No, I don't mean anarchy, I mean true democracy. Our Congress is now only in the business of raising money and running for office...not serving Americans. I think we should throw all 535 of the self-serving bums out and start over. And if the new ones don't serve us well, throw all of them out, too!

Just a dream I've had for quite a few years...a republic that works.

eagle11rb

Beach Comber
Jul 18, 2008
No one came because they are probably tired of hearing Mr Wise "brag" about who contacts him, who he has pictures taken with, how many classes he has attended, etc.... I attend the Darlington "Sheriff Shoot-Out"today and it was one of the better forums that have been held, excellent audience participation, of course Sheriff Johnson was a no show. However I think Mr Wise forgot to load his gun for this "shoot-out" for he and Mr. Brown tied-- for last place in answers and presentation. I think its time for them to drop out along with Mr Corman who stated at Darlington that he would have Community Policing in the Sheriff's Office and would have his deputies help people move applainces into their homes? I dont belive Mr Corman knows what "Community Policing" is about; it sure is not about deputies being furniture movers.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I had other things to do, but I didn't see Mr Wise's "invitation" thread until this evening, anyway. Most people I know want to relax on the weekends, not talk politics.

EDIT: Holy Cow! I just read that entire Invitation thread. WoW! :blink: :drink:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
analogman, believe it or not, I agree with your post wholeheartedly. I am very much a moderate or centrist as you put it. Unfortunately, as far as "a republic that works", don't hold your breath. I have seen it work in my lifetime, though, and I still hope to see it happen again. You have a greater chance of seeing it than I do for I have 20 some odd years on you.

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
Mr. Wise actually came to my door in Inlet Beach before we moved. IT WAS THE FIRST TIME A CANDIDATE ACTUALLY CAME TO MY DOOR.
That alone impressed me. Not saying that it would make me vote for him, I was just impressed that he took the time to come to ""inlet beach"" which is forgotten many times over...

I saw that the other thread was locked, I guess it was running amuck :roll: or some people did not like what they were reading.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Mr. Wise actually came to my door in Inlet Beach before we moved. IT WAS THE FIRST TIME A CANDIDATE ACTUALLY CAME TO MY DOOR.
That alone impressed me. Not saying that it would make me vote for him, I was just impressed that he took the time to come to ""inlet beach"" which is forgotten many times over...

I saw that the other thread was locked, I guess it was running amuck :roll: or some people did not like what they were reading.
Probably a little of both.

drivingthru

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2008
No one came because they are probably tired of hearing Mr Wise "brag" about who contacts him, who he has pictures taken with, how many classes he has attended, etc.... I attend the Darlington "Sheriff Shoot-Out"today and it was one of the better forums that have been held, excellent audience participation, of course Sheriff Johnson was a no show. However I think Mr Wise forgot to load his gun for this "shoot-out" for he and Mr. Brown tied-- for last place in answers and presentation. I think its time for them to drop out along with Mr Corman who stated at Darlington that he would have Community Policing in the Sheriff's Office and would have his deputies help people move applainces into their homes? I dont belive Mr Corman knows what "Community Policing" is about; it sure is not about deputies being furniture movers.

Nobody showed at Wises lunch? Hint Hint. Dennis is a wealth of knowledge but only a little bit goes a long way. Good to hear the Darlington forum was well recieved.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
What one sees as "bragging", another can see as confidence. It is only "bragging" when you can't back up what you say. I think Dennis Wise can definitely back up what he says 99.9% of the time. (We are all entitled to at least .01% error or "bragging".) I know, and so does every other person in South Walton, that some candidates are running to split the vote and give the present sheriff an edge. I'm really sorry you were unimpressed by Mr Wise's presentation at Darlington. I was not there so there is obviously no way I can comment. I do know that at SWHS he was "hands down" the best presenter and expressed the most knowlege of all the candidates making presentatikons.

Beemn

Beach Lover
Jan 1, 2006
so wal
I thought Mr Wise a good candidate , until I saw a picture of him with the ultimate blowhard on hate radio and tv, bill o' ! I'll vote for one of the others!