• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
Hope to see a good crowd! To get to the " Alaqua Animal Refuge" go west from Freeport on Hwy 20, when you get to "Portland" (there is a sign) look for the little country store on the right and take your next LEFT (paved road) and just follow it all the way to the party. It is about a ten minute trip from the junction of Hwy 331 and Hwy 20. Laurie Hood needs our support, bring your big heart.

rolling dune

Beach Lover
Apr 24, 2008
blue mtn.
open house

Hi there...I hope that the open house was a huge success! I had every intention of attending, however one of own for leggers became quite ill overnight and I could not leave him. He is in recovery mode and showing signs of his goofyself so all looks well. I do have some things to bring up that I saw on the wish list so I will see you soon...Until then...We all do so very much appreciate all of the hard work and love that you are bestowing upon those blessed critters.

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
Quite a party

Lots of folks made the open house at Alaqua! I know everybody had a good time and learned something too! Walton county has never had an animal shelter of any kind and sent its homeless to a terrible facility in Chipley. It is amazing what one person with a vision can accomplish. Laurie Hood is that one. She has put together a wonderful staff ( both paid and volunteer) that really care. Help is always needed- financial and physical. Do what you can, and when it's time to add a furry friend to your family think of the shelter animals first. See the animals online at www.petfinder.com

My sister and I took the kids to the open house last night, and when we pulled up to the Refuge, I was happy to see so many people! If you haven't been and you have even an inkling of a heart for animals then you should see for yourself this magical place. My little one loved the goats and the kittens.

Actually, as I type this I'm watching two former Refuge kittens playing right in our living room! My sister adopted brother and sister babies - Frances and Boomer! They are doing great and happy with their new mama! I'll post pics of them soon.

There are so many animals that need good homes. So if you are considering having a pet, please visit the Refuge - many puppies, dogs, kittens and cats waiting for more love!

Visit http://www.aarflorida.com/ for more information.

I

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
Did you notice the little goat?

Nobody seemed to know if the small goat is a pygmy or just a "kid". I am curious! Also, I wonder what the county rules would be for a goat as pet. It was very sweet.

Nobody seemed to know if the small goat is a pygmy or just a "kid". I am curious! Also, I wonder what the county rules would be for a goat as pet. It was very sweet.

My husband would love to own a goat. I say, "Naaaaaayyyyy."

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
30-A since before I could walk
Lots of folks made the open house at Alaqua! I know everybody had a good time and learned something too! Walton county has never had an animal shelter of any kind and sent its homeless to a terrible facility in Chipley. It is amazing what one person with a vision can accomplish. Laurie Hood is that one. She has put together a wonderful staff ( both paid and volunteer) that really care. Help is always needed- financial and physical. Do what you can, and when it's time to add a furry friend to your family think of the shelter animals first. See the animals online at www.petfinder.com

:clap::clap::love::love:

I am sooo happy to hear that! Thanks for the wonderful update! It is so great that some many were able to show up.

My sister and I took the kids to the open house last night, and when we pulled up to the Refuge, I was happy to see so many people! If you haven't been and you have even an inkling of a heart for animals then you should see for yourself this magical place. My little one loved the goats and the kittens.

Actually, as I type this I'm watching two former Refuge kittens playing right in our living room! My sister adopted brother and sister babies - Frances and Boomer! They are doing great and happy with their new mama! I'll post pics of them soon.

There are so many animals that need good homes. So if you are considering having a pet, please visit the Refuge - many puppies, dogs, kittens and cats waiting for more love!

Visit http://www.aarflorida.com/ for more information.

I

:love: And if anyone *thinks* they want a pet but aren't 100% sure - foster homes are always needed!

Oh, honey, he'd still love you best. :lol:
:blink: :lolabove:

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
30-A since before I could walk

I used the website allexperts.com and asked... well an expert. Here is what I got back.

The best way to determine approx age is by the teeth-
I have a diagram on my website (along with a ton of great articles for you to read on goat care http://Goat-Link.com)
but the teeth typically are the way we age goats:

The baby teeth in the front are lost 2 at a time- starting at approximately 1 1/2 yr old. They lose the front middle 2 teeth, the following year they lose the second set of 2- and so on.
http://www.goat-link.com/AngelGoats-Forum/article-images/goat-physiological/teeth by year2.gif
It also could be a Nigerian Dwarf- they are small but less boxy than a pygmy - more like a small dairy goat.
goatlady
Goat-Link.com

goatlady
goat care articles at:
http://Goat-Link.com

Who knew? :clap::cool:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
http://www.nwfdailynews.com/article/14676

Walton County has a fantastic opportunity. Now if we can find a leader on the BCC that will present it. Instead of spending the 2 milliond dollars on building a new kill shelter in the north end of the county, they can look at their recurring costs and work with Hood on taking this service off of government's hands through privatization. That gets a shelter in Walton County up now, saving us a lot of dollars in transportation and employee costs, putting money back into the local economy for a working concern. And does not grow government......again.