• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kyle11268o

Beach Comber
May 25, 2006
KC
After looking through these boards, it looks like I'm definitely in the right place. I'll be honeymooning in Grayton from June 11th-18th, and am looking for any and all recommendations for food, activities, and anything else you think is relevant.

**Disclaimer: We plan to eat only at restaraunts with white linens, so we won't get our Prada bags dirty. My new trophy wife wouldn't stand for any less. :cool:

Heh. In seriousness, there aren't too many beaches in Kansas City, so I plan to spend the majority of my time there in flip-flops and shorts. I can find overpriced dinners anywhere else, anytime else.

Since the other restraurant thread seems to have gone rather stagnant as of late, I thought this might bring some new life to the topic anyway.

I've been to Grayton and/or Seaside a handful of times before, but never without the family members who know the area, and it's been a few years, so I'm a little fuzzy on things.

It looks like the places to eat are:
Snapperheads' (though it looks like a bit of a drive)
Angelina's
Yianni's
Seagrove Market Cafe - is it still there?
Smiling Fish Cafe
Fat Daddy's Pizza - is it good?
D&K's - have they sold out by now?
Frabrice's
Thomas' Donuts

What am I missing?

I'm really looking forward to showing some shrimp and crabs the business end of my fork while I'm there - where should I be for that? (And yes, I'd probably try to cook some of my own if I could. The soon-to-be Mrs. can't eat shellfish, so I might have to reserve it for restaurants...)

We're also looking for relaxing, fun, (read not uber-touristy) stuff to do while we're in town. I plan to spend a good amount of the time laying on the beach with a book (well, ok, so a lot of the time might be spoken for in other ways as well.... ahem.), but we'll obviously need something to do when we come up for air. We both do a lot of art photography, so if you've got any suggestions of good locations for that as well, it'd be awesome. Since time is obviously getting short, I thought I'd see what sort of recommendations you all (uh, I mean "y'all) might have. I've found a couple of the web sites, but the time I've got has mostly been filled with getting all the last-minute wedding stuff taken care of, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

So, any and all suggestions you may have [for someone who has been before and plans to return many times] are more than welcome.

Also, is there a map somewhere with some of these businesses on it? I've looked around a bit, but haven't been able to find anything yet. I guess that's sort of a touristy thing to want, huh?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to being on those beautiful white beaches again.....

Dining in SoWal is getting more and more expensive. Do you have a George Foreman grill? Bring it.

1. You can get steamed shrimp at Goatfeathers, add a salad and boiled corn - easy and cheap.

2. Buy fish at Goatfeathers, grill it on your Foreman, get a bagette and a Dole salad in a box at Publix, make my daugher's tomato bruschetta topping, and you have a cheap meal.

Bruschetta with Tomatoes and Basil
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
6-8 basil leaves, slivered, plus a few more for a garnish
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
? teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
? teaspoon garlic salt (or to taste)
? teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
1 baguette, sliced thinly on the diagonal

Combine all ingredients except the last. Put olive oil on bread and broil until brown; repeat for other side. Serve tomato mixture over the bread, garnished with basil.

3. Another suggestion: get steaks at Modica, potatoes to bake, a Dole salad, and my daughter's green bean recipe.

Lemon-Garlic Beans
1 head elephant garlic
1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
? teaspoon freshly ground pepper (or to taste)
1 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
4 lemons, sliced thickly
2 packages fresh French cut green beans

Sprinkle garlic with olive oil, pepper, and kosher salt, wrap in aluminum foil, and roast at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
Cook lemons at 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
Microwave beans for 8 minutes.
Squeeze half of the lemons on the beans and reserve the rest. Smash the garlic, and toss the beans with the garlic, olive oil, and kosher salt. Garnish with remaining lemon slices.

4. Another night do the following with a salad:
1 pound pasta
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 small onion, chopped
1-2 cups white wine (dependent on diameter of pan and liquid content of tomatoes)
1 bunch of basil (you can substitute the herb of your choice or fresh spinach), torn by hand
2 pints grape tomatoes, cut in half
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (or to taste)
1 teaspoon garlic salt
? teaspoon garlic powder
1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp (optional)
Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

Prepare pasta according to package directions.
Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a saut? pan at a high temperature. Brown garlic and onion in the hot oil until browned. Add enough white wine to cover the garlic and onion mixture, and cook until deglazed (about 1 cup). Add basil and tomatoes. Reduce heat, continuing to add wine if mixture gets too dry or olive oil if it starts sticking. Add pepper, garlic salt, and garlic powder. Cook at least 10 minutes. If shrimp is used, increase temperature and cook until shrimp turn pink, about 2-7 minutes (dependent on size of shrimp).
Drain pasta and toss with the sauce. Sprinkle cheese on each serving.

5. Order a pizza.

6. Go to Shades on the Loop.

Kyle11268o

Beach Comber
May 25, 2006
KC
Thanks for the suggestions! I love to cook and they sound tasty! I'll have to see if the place I'll be staying has a Foreman already (it's a relative's house, not a rental, so I might get lucky....) It's definitely more of a beach cottage than a house though, so I'm not sure exactly what sort of cooking facilities are in store for me.... I may have to save some of these until I get back to KC.

Where would you recommend shopping for most things? I seem to recall Modica's being kind of expensive, but I guess pretty much everything is unless you drive into Destin, huh?

Kyle11268o said:
Thanks for the suggestions! I love to cook and they sound tasty! I'll have to see if the place I'll be staying has a Foreman already (it's a relative's house, not a rental, so I might get lucky....) It's definitely more of a beach cottage than a house though, so I'm not sure exactly what sort of cooking facilities are in store for me.... I may have to save some of these until I get back to KC.

Where would you recommend shopping for most things? I seem to recall Modica's being kind of expensive, but I guess pretty much everything is unless you drive into Destin, huh?
Publix in Seagrove. Sorry, Mr. Modica. :sosad: I do prefer buying pasta (rustichello d'abruzzo - not found at Publix) and baguettes at Modica's (far superior to what is available at Publix), as well as muffins and lattes for breakfast.

Kyle11268o

Beach Comber
May 25, 2006
KC
Thanks for the tip.

Is there anywhere (coffeeshop, etc.) in Grayton or nearby where you can pay for time on the internet? I won't have access where I'm staying, and I'm not sure I can fight the addiction for an entire week. :blush:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Kyle11268o said:
Thanks for the tip.

Is there anywhere (coffeeshop, etc.) in Grayton or nearby where you can pay for time on the internet? I won't have access where I'm staying, and I'm not sure I can fight the addiction for an entire week. :blush:

You did say you were going to be on your honeymoon?? :blink:

Well, you can always wardrive (it's illegal, so you didn't hear it from me) - a lot of good spots at WaterColor, Seaside, and in my 'hood. Or you can legit go to Beach Java or Miss Lucille's (there are probably others - I have wireless high-speed at my house, so I'm not searching, know what I'm sayin'?).

Hey, even on a honeymoon, ya gotta check your email and surf the 'net!

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
:welcome: Kyle..hope you have a fabulous time! BR seems to have hooked you up with a lot of good suggestions.

Mr. dd is from Blue Springs....

Kyle11268o

Beach Comber
May 25, 2006
KC
Heh. Fair enough, Shelly. :lol:

Come on, though. It's so much easier to find info and places and events and everything else that way. If there were a place right down the street from us, would that be so bad to take advantage of it? Anyway, that's why I'm trying to figure this sort of stuff out now, so I don't have to worry about it while we're there.

Edit: WOW. You guys are fast. I barely read her post and there were 3 more in the time it took me to type this little thing!