• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

isacksphoto

Beach Comber
Nov 25, 2007
seagrove
www.isacksphoto.com
I agree, but it is not an all or nothing thing. The TDC is showing nothing but ego right now, they spent the money and are really unwilling to admit they made a mistake, it does not look like they will take the signs down. The company that made the signs are out of Orlando (no duh!) and they are the same company that is doing Pier Park, when it was suggested to the TDC that that may be an option for making back the 250,000 they spent (no lie) the response was a chuckle. I don't think the TDC is going to take these signs down.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
If the TDC does not take them down the Board of Commissioners will. We are just getting started folks. We are not going anywhere. I feel a Reagan moment coming on.... "Commissioners take those signs down!" Thanks to Wally Crawford from WKGC 90.7 for giving us a half an hour on the air tonight.

Dave

Last edited:

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
If the TDC does not take them down the Board of Commissioners will. We are just getting started folks. We are not going anywhere. I feel a Reagan moment coming on.... "Commissioners take those signs down!" Thanks to Wally Crawford from WKGC 90.7 for giving us a half an hour on the air tonight.

Dave

GO DAVE:lolabove: Count me in as a soldier......................

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
I'll be there on the 26th and try to bring a couple of others with me. Maybe everyone could bring a friend and a petition could be passed around.

Lane Rees

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2006
Dave .. this is exciting .. you, my good friend, thinking we have a RONALD REAGAN Movement going on ... and this is a good thing!

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
I listed to Dave on RapLine as well. He is a great spokesperson for The Scenic Pride Initiative.

We need everyone to attend the workshop at The Coastal Branch Library, 26 March, 5:30 p.m.

In the meantime, please write to the County Commissioners and let them know you want more "community compatible" signs; please copy the TDC as well.

Please also cc scenicpride@gmail.com, so that we can collate the letters!

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
I suppose everyone understands this but me...Why does the TDC seem to have so much power? How can their wishes override residents and property owners?

Also I noticed that a stop sign by Target in Pier Park looks a lot like the blue signs (arched metal with a flat sign in the middle).

I still think the blue signs could be unbolted and resold in Pier Park or someplace similar. Somebody can repaint them. I don't like the idea of keeping them and just planting flowers at the base. The only plant that might help would be kudzu that would completely cover them...

I think we all need to remember that painting these signs is not a viable option. The signs are powder coated, not painted. Getting paint to adhere to a powder coated surface is almost impossible...especially given our environmental conditions. At the TDC meeting, they acknowledged that painting wasn't really an option. The only way to paint the signs would be to have the removed, the powder coating stripped, and then repainted. That's just throwing good money after bad.

http://www.pfonline.com/articles/clinics/0406cl_pwd4.html

The signs need to go. The TDC needs to face up to the fact that they made a mistake. We, as citizens, need to acknowledge that we could have been more involved and not allow the BCC to be criticized over wasted money if they choose to remove the signs. That is why members of the Scenic Pride Initiative will step up to replace the signs.

As to why the TDC seems so unaccountable, its because they do not feel they have any responsibility to the citizens of Walton County because they are not spending our tax dollars -- they are spending the bed tax, so it's none of our business. At least, that is what we were told at the TDC meeting.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
As to why the TDC seems so unaccountable, its because they do not feel they have any responsibility to the citizens of Walton County because they are not spending our tax dollars -- they are spending the bed tax, so it's none of our business. At least, that is what we were told at the TDC meeting.

I do not understand how the TDC is allowed to get away with that argument. Once the tax dollars flow into the county, they become ours. Where would government be if they were allowed to start arguing for and against projects based on where the income is coming from. This would be like telling someone they have no say in county operations because they pay no taxes. Dollars do not amount to votes. The TDC is responsible to the BCC which in turn is reponsible to the voters and citizens of Walton County. All of the citizens, for the TDC to continue with this misguided logic is the height of arrogance if you ask me.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I suppose everyone understands this but me...Why does the TDC seem to have so much power? How can their wishes override residents and property owners?

Part of the problem is that not many people have been paying attention; most of what the TDC has done is very well done; and, they see their mission as marketing to tourists.

I think they have not given any thought to the fact that we are not just a resort to be marketed to tourists...we are also a community where people live. The two do not have to be mutually exclusive..,but:

THE BIG BLUE MONSTERS HAVE TO GO!

and the TDC needs to work with the community, especially The Scenic Corridor Committee,to maintain the integrity of the community. In the long run, that scenic integrity is what draws tourists to this community.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
And just where does this bed tax come from...:scratch:? Like maybe my rental?