• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
http://www.yesmagazine.org/happines...ibraryManifesto&utm_campaign=110509_Happiness
The public library is a singularly American invention. Europeans had subscription libraries for 100 years before the United States was born. But in April 1833, the good citizens of Peterborough, New Hampshire created a radically new concept—a public library. All town residents, regardless of income, had the right to freely share the community’s stored knowledge. Their only obligation was to return the information on time and in good condition, allowing others to exercise that same right.
Public libraries are one of the most ubiquitous of all American institutions, more widespread than Starbucks or McDonalds.

By the 1870s, 11 states together boasted 188 public libraries. By 1910, all states had them. Today, 9,000 central buildings and about 7500 branches have made public libraries one of the most ubiquitous of all American institutions, more widespread than Starbucks or McDonalds.

hard to believe that something as American as our public libraries, like our public education system, is so undervalued by people who claim to want to "get back to the 'real' America and follow the constitution."

Locally, our library system is underfunded and under appreciated IMO.
These budget cuts are coming just as library use is soaring. Economic hard times encourage people to borrow DVDs, books, and newspapers rather than buy them, and to use public computer terminals for job searches. Library usage is increasing by 15-30 percent while budgets are being cut by 10-15 percent.

This is truly a case of penny wise and pound foolish. By any cost-benefit calculus, dollars spent on public libraries are a wise investment.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the citizens of Walton County demanded our elected officials rethink their priorities...

Last edited:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
that would be wonderful...I guess it is up to the County Commissioners.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
that would be wonderful...I guess it is up to the County Commissioners.

I think the state statute may have a say in this also. I can't see how funding public libraries falls under F.S. 125.0104. By the way, I use my public library all the time and agree that they are important.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Our libraries seems dated to me. Maybe we need to rethink the whole way these things work. Paper based books are fast becoming a thing of the past. Maybe the library of tomorrow will be nothing more than a community center with a 1000 Kindles bolted to 1000 desks. Or maybe they will allow users to check out the Kindles with specific books installed on them? That would be cool.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Libraries contain far more than just books.

Tax help, computer use, music, magazines, newspapers, book clubs, kid's story times, large print, books on tape for visually impaired, you name it.

Though the "electronic books" are an amazing resource in developing countries - using the affordable laptops a school can have access to thousands of books - impossible with physical books.

lms47

Beach Lover
Apr 23, 2008
Freeport, FL
Libraries play an important role in all communities by providing a source of knowledge to many who do not have other resources. IMHO, this action is just like the education cuts and it appears the "powers that be" are trying to dumb down our future generations.