• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Shhhhh...Beachmouse, don't tell anybody!

hi n dry

Beach Lover
Sep 12, 2005
Why buy something ?a fifteen minute drive ? to the beach when you can buy an existing house on 30A for not much more and be able to walk to the beach? Also, a house on 30A has more rental income potential than a house further from the Gulf .

Some "walk to the beach" homes for sale on 30A may end up costing no more than what a house will cost at many of the new "drive to the beach" developments. In fact I have seen nice recently built houses you can get for around $600k that are walking distance to the Gulf.

Or you could buy a ?build out time lot? from a motivated ?over extended investor? for a fraction of what it cost a year ago and build the exact house you want for a little more.

There are also some neighborhoods on 30A that have relatively low association dues ( I know of one neighborhood whose dues per year are $1200 with community pool and another for less than $300 with huge lots but no pool).

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
hi n dry said:
Or you could buy a ?build out time lot? from a motivated ?over extended investor? for a fraction of what it cost a year ago and build the exact house you want for a little more.

:cool: Put your lowball offer on the back of your business card and walk away.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
When we bought our house, it was going to be our primary residence. The north side of the bay ended up being closer to work, less vulnerable to hurricanes, and we just didn't want to have to deal with the fuss of getting on 98 every time we had to go somewhere.

When we first moved here, we rented about 100 yards back from the Gulf for a couple of years. It was enough to decide we wanted to buy away from crowds and storm worries, even though there were things I loved about it, and once in a while I do miss being able to just walk out the front door and cross the street to get to the Gulf. Plus, it was easier to find neighborhoods where 80%+ of the people lived here year round, and we wanted an area that seemed like more of an established community.

Owl's Head and the like would be actually be tempting to us in some ways, but we'd both have bad commutes from Freeport, and we'd take a big tax and interest rate hit compared to where we're at now.

Tom H

Beach Crab
Jun 23, 2006
JOIN US DURING OUR SUMMER PRESENTATION SERIES
& LEARN ABOUT OWL'S HEAD

We welcome you to experience the vision of what Owl's Head has to offer.

When: Tuesdays & Thursdays
Time:10:00 am & 2 pm
Where: Smolian Board Room ~ Seaside, Florida
(Smolian Board Rm is located on the first floor of the 3 northern building of
Seaside Neighborhood School)
  • Located in Freeport, Florida, Owl's Head is an exceptional Traditional Neighborhood Community designed by Andres Duany of Duany Plater-Zyberk, planners of Seaside and Rosemary Beach.
  • Owl's Head offers location and a walkable, liveable neighborhood that's about quality more than anything else, an active town center, Arnold Palmer Signature Golf Course, 7.3 acre water park and so much more.
Directions to Smolian Board Room:

From Seagrove (Hwy 395) - West on CR-30A to Seaside, 2nd street past Seaside Post Office, turn right (north) onto Quincy Circle - left onto Smolian Circle to third building on the right. Smolian Board Room is on the first floor.

From Grayton Beach (Hwy 283) - East on CR-30A through WaterColor to Seaside, past five five streets, turn left (north) onto Quincy Circle - left onto Smolian Circle to third building on right. Smolian Board Room is on the first floor.

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
Hi Tom :welcome:
Owls Head will be the most exciting project in Freeport. Being in the Coastal Inland Heights of Florida will give great peace of mind, and its only 15 miles to the beautiful beaches of South Walton. Now if I can only stay out of the sand traps playing the beautiful Arnold Palmer signature golf course, that would be ideal !!

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
told ya right after ivan, etc they'd be moving large development inland!

happened in coastal alabama, now in nw fla

now i predict that populations will begin to sea-saw back and forth as perspectives of coastal danger ebb and flow

so get your checkbooks out!

i've found me another wonderfully quiet place to retire with my big ol' garden and possibly some horses, a nice pasture or too with good sun, even has a good well, and got the paperwork done and the down-payment in already (HOORAY!), so now y'all can buy up from freeport all the way to bonifay cause i don't care anymore

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
See flyer below for info on Owl's Head's party, this weekend. BBQ, Golf Tips, and Dread Clampitt. Click here to make resevations.

Last edited:

destinsm

Beach Lover
May 23, 2006
What is the latest on this development Joe? I pass it once in a blue moon on travel and went past it this past weekend... still looks like the same open piece of land it did when they announced the neighborhood over a year ago (maybe 2 by now)...

Although they did have nice flowers at the entrance, and a modular for a sales center... oh progress...

Just a bit curious about what they are actually throwing a party for... thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.