• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Little Fish

Beach Lover
Oct 9, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Buckhead:

If you were speaking with Bankers from the Stanford Group in Antigua, I would take everything they say with a grain of salt...

An airport certainly helps tourism; however, many other factors need be present to drive tourism. You've got to give people what they want when they arrive. High end luxury hotels, fine restaurants, crystal clear waters, etc.. A new airport with bigger runways will potentially attract more carriers, but when I see a Four Seasons in PCB, then I'll be convinced that the area has caught on.

Little Fish

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Beachmouse, you got me thinking about that time frame for the new 4lane hwy running from Niceville to the new PCB airport. I just checked the NWFLTA Master Plan Priority List. I see that the new 20 mile limited access 4-lane segment which extends from the mid-Bay bridge in Niceville to Freeport Hwy 331, is on the 5 year priority list. The segment which extends from Freeport Hwy 331 to the new PCB airport, is in the 10-20 year priority list. The new 21.31 mile limited access 4-lane segment extending from the Navarre Bypass to the mid-Bay bridge in Niceville is the first item on the 5 year priority list. As I understand the list, the 5 year priority list is actually in order per line item. The remaining 5-10 year and 10-20 list are not listed in in particular priority list.

I think the critical part of VPS closing to the public will be the completion of the two segments of the new road from Narvarre Bypass to Freeport. From Freeport to the new airport will be a breeze, even though it is only two lanes. There is practically no traffic and no current development. When you get to hwy 79, it will be four lane to the airport. So, VPS might close prior to that last segment of limited access, between Freeport and the new PCB airport, being constructed.

If anyone is interested in seeing the maps or the priority list, you can go to www.nwftca.com

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
.... PC people fight the beach on everything, they say we are becoming like Destin. I thought that was a good thing.[/QUOTE]

Huh?

jamnolfin

Beach Lover
Mar 6, 2007

Panama City fights Panama City Beach on everything. they say we are starting to look like Destin. There, I spelled it out for you. The beach brings in the majority of the tax dollars and PC doesnt want to reinvest anything back into the beach. Hathaway Bridge is more than a bridge, its a line in the sand. West side vs. east side. Go to the PC Newsherald websites Squall line and read the animosity. I see it everyday.

Little Fish

Beach Lover
Oct 9, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Scooterbug:

Why is becoming like Destin a bad thing? Destin has become quite a town over the past ten years or so. Nice properties, nice restaurants, nice golf courses... My only complaint with Destin is the traffic due to the explosion of growth.

PCB looks much better than it did a few years ago. Personally, I am glad to see many of the old eye sores torn down and am looking forward to Pier Park, The Towne of Seahaven, and other luxury properties that are popping up all over Front Beach road.

Little Fish

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Scooterbug:

Why is becoming like Destin a bad thing? Destin has become quite a town over the past ten years or so. Nice properties, nice restaurants, nice golf courses... My only complaint with Destin is the traffic due to the explosion of growth.

PCB looks much better than it did a few years ago. Personally, I am glad to see many of the old eye sores torn down and am looking forward to Pier Park, The Towne of Seahaven, and other luxury properties that are popping up all over Front Beach road.

Little Fish
Of course there are some aspects of Destin which are nice, but having Destin so close to us, we don't need to duplicate Destin. The parts which many find nice are having a good movie theatre and some nice restaurants, but that is about all. No one wants to fight for a spot on the beach, behind three rows of other people's beach umbrellas. No one wants the lack of movement of traffic, all of the crap food franchises, etc.

We already have nice restaurants, so I guess all we are missing is a movie theatre, but I'm just as happy driving to Destin or PCB for seeing a ten dollar movie. ;-)

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
I know growth is inevitable, but there have already been many posts regarding the viability of the current airport. No doubt in 25 or 30 years it will be inadequate. Again, so what? I'd rather have an inadequate airport and preservation of the planned airport site.

I am confused by this criticism. The airport is to be built on what is currently an industrial pine farm.

However, the West Bay Sector Plan (which is part of the whole airport relocation deal) sets aside 41,000 acres of land to be donated by St. Joe as conservation land along West Bay.

Because of this; the airport relocation and West Bay Plan are supported by environmental groups such as The National Audubon Society and The Nature Conservancy.

You would prefer to see the pine farm stay as it is, and not see 41,000 acres of bay front land be conserved? The conservation land is tied to the airport relocation. If the airport doesn?t move to the West Bay site, then the bayfront land will eventually be developed.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Egg-zachery, Uncle Timmy. St Joe could go in there and harvest the 50,000 acres of Pine Trees, then these people wouldn't be crying as loudly about the airport.