• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
For those that haven't heard, the whole beach is undergoing a complete makeover and building boom. Many of the old condos and hotels are being demolished, with massive new high-rises under construction or planned.

Over 2000 existing units have been torn down. 10,000 new units are under construction, and by 2006, 28,000 units will be available, with 60-70 percent being condos.

With the new international airport, hotels, convention and meeting space, resorts, golf courses, businesses, cruis ships, etc. etc., it looks like Panama City is on track top become the largest city and most popular destination between Jacksonville and New Orleans.

Massive expansion is already happening along the North / South corridors between Panama City and I-10. Hwy 231 is 4-lane, Hwy 79 and 77 are currently being 4-laned.

The magnitude is amazing. Panama City Beach will soon surpass Destin in size and number of high rises. All of these new visitors will have a huge impact on SoWal as daytrippers.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Riverotter, I had a neighbor stay at Seagrove this past frenzied 30A spring break. She enjoyed the beauty of the area, but made trips to Desti/PC for something "to do". Fortunately for SoWal, this mentality of "something to do" means standing in line somewhere to buy things or go on rides. Orlando has perfected this behavior. The lack of water parks/outlet malls etc. should help Sowal repel those looking for a turnstile to go with their beach.

Bob said:
Riverotter, I had a neighbor stay at Seagrove this past frenzied 30A spring break. She enjoyed the beauty of the area, but made trips to Desti/PC for something "to do". Fortunately for SoWal, this mentality of "something to do" means standing in line somewhere to buy things or go on rides. Orlando has perfected this behavior. The lack of water parks/outlet malls etc. should help Sowal repel those looking for a turnstile to go with their beach.

That's what I'm counting on. I will, however continue to invade PCB and Destin for some things and while I'm there I'll tell them how boring SoWal is :D

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Well, as long as the boom stays East or West of SoWal...I am ok with it. I come down for the peace and solitude of what SoWal has to offer. I really hope all of the PCBers stay there while I am enjoying my week of paradise !!!!!!

GraytonBound

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
The Nooga
Fortunately for us, the south is overrun with people like my mom.....who comes to the beach & wants to eat at Red Lobster :roll:

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
RiverOtter said:
and shop.... at Alvin's Island :D

OH God, just the thought of that makes my skin crawl...Oh, and don't forget to the west, their is Destin.....and Big Kahuna's! UGH !!! Isn't the beautiful beach enough? I have to admit, I did have to endure the Kahuna last year with my 11 year old...he even admitted he never wanted to go back !!! Oh, thank God !!!! I can come down this year and not have to do it !!! YEAH !!!!

Sheila

SoWal Insider
kathydwells said:
OH God, just the thought of that makes my skin crawl...Oh, and don't forget to the west, their is Destin.....and Big Kahuna's! UGH !!! Isn't the beautiful beach enough? I have to admit, I did have to endure the Kahuna last year with my 11 year old...he even admitted he never wanted to go back !!! Oh, thank God !!!! I can come down this year and not have to do it !!! YEAH !!!!

We had my brother and his family down a couple of years ago for Spring Break. The first day they were there my husband and I decided to let Mom and Dad sleep in and take the neicce and nephew for an early stroll on the beach. My nephew insisted on taking money with him to the beach. After we had walked for about 10 min. the nephew asked, "where can I buy a t-shirt or ride a go cart?" :eek:

After he found out he wouldn't find any of those things at this beach his reply was, "so this is just like a big ol' lake with sand in front of it.":blink:

I guess not everyone can appreciate the beauty of the 30-A beaches. :clap_1: