• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I know to many of you upon reading the phase "Panama City Beach" immediately think "eeeeewwww!" But try putting that aside for just a moment and read on.

I've come across an interesting article from Clearwater Beach (Florida)--that I'll link below. I found it interesting how the current situation at Clearwater mirrors PCB. Clearwater is mulling over the economic fallout its city may experience from the real estate boom over the next several years. Key among them is the razing of multiple "mom & pop" hotels and businesses to be replaced by "upscale" condos and shops--many of which have never come to fruition.

From its beginning, Clearwater, like PCB, was a beach vacation area for blue collar workers and their families--with all the "stigma" of such attached. Now both beach towns, in an effort to transform into "upscale" vacation locales, have wiped out reasonably-priced accommodations and attractions. Problem is, the condo boom has gone bust leaving Clearwater in limbo...it's no longer welcoming to the folks who made it a vibrant family tourist destination, and, because of it's "low-brow" stigma (that "eeeewwwwww" you're thinking) and many half-baked "upscale" projects, it will not attract the "well-heeled and wealthy" target audience it set out to attract when it originally put the plans on paper.

Will Clearwater and PCB end up in "tourist limbo?" What will the first summer after the boom (2007) hold in store economically for PCB?

Clearwater Beach Article

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
I know to many of you upon reading the phase "Panama City Beach" immediately think "eeeeewwww!" But try putting that aside for just a moment and read on.

I've come across an interesting article from Clearwater Beach (Florida)--that I'll link below. I found it interesting how the current situation at Clearwater mirrors PCB. Clearwater is mulling over the economic fallout its city may experience from the real estate boom over the next several years. Key among them is the razing of multiple "mom & pop" hotels and businesses to be replaced by "upscale" condos and shops--many of which have never come to fruition.

From its beginning, Clearwater, like PCB, was a beach vacation area for blue collar workers and their families--with all the "stigma" of such attached. Now both beach towns, in an effort to transform into "upscale" vacation locales, have wiped out reasonably-priced accommodations and attractions. Problem is, the condo boom has gone bust leaving Clearwater in limbo...it's no longer welcoming to the folks who made it a vibrant family tourist destination, and, because of it's "low-brow" stigma (that "eeeewwwwww" you're thinking) and many half-baked "upscale" projects, it will not attract the "well-heeled and wealthy" target audience it set out to attract when it originally put the plans on paper.

Will Clearwater and PCB end up in "tourist limbo?" What will the first summer after the boom (2007) hold in store economically for PCB?

Clearwater Beach Article

Shelly,

You're implying that working class people want to spend their vacation in a 1960's smelly hotel room and dine at the Waffle House. I think they'd rather spend their vacation money on decent accomodations. Much of gulf front Panama City Beach was blighted before the "upscale" projects came in. IMO rentals will still be affordable because of the competition to get renters. I live on the eastern end of 30-A and do most of my shopping in Panama City Beach, I think what they're doing is an improvement and if it drives away the out-of-control Spring Breakers, then good. And if the Rednecks can't afford to stay in PCB, they'll just have to day trip from south Alabama. :D

I do miss the Miracle Strip Amusement Park, though. But I guess we can always spend our time at the Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum :bang:

sberry123

Beach Comber
Mar 5, 2006

Clearwater Beach Article
I think this is already happening on the Alabama side. Thousands of new upscale "granite counter tops," condos with not enough snow birds to fill the gap. Back in the early 2000's just about all units were booked with snow birds.

seal

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2006
Personally, I will take rednecks any day over yankees and foreigners. :D

I like all people, but most Southerners will say "hi" and talk to you like you are old friends without even thinking about it.

It is one of the charming qualities about the Panhandle vs. more southern parts of Florida.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove

I like all people, but most Southerners will say "hi" and talk to you like you are old friends without even thinking about it.

It is one of the charming qualities about the Panhandle vs. more southern parts of Florida.

Not to mention the weenie bikinis the euro guys seem to favor:lol:

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal

I thought Yankees were foreigners. What about Mormons?

Capricious

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Shelly is "right on."

When my wife and I go to the coast, all we want is
a "base of operations:" i.e. a simple motel room. A
small "dorm-style" refrig. and a microwave would be
nice. We don't go to sit in someone's personal condo
looking at their personal belongings. Certainly don't
need (and don't want to pay for) 2 or 3 bathrooms
and way more square footage than is called for.
The goal is to spend as little time in the accomodations
(and as much time in the Gulf) as possible.

A condo can be a good deal for a family/group of
several people (especially if one would rather spend
one's time cooking meals than playing on the beach)
but it's a lousy deal for us.

Although with the glut
of small condos on the rental market, that situation
just might invert.

I don't have a problem with a well-maintained 1950's
motel any more than I have a problem with my well-maintained
1950's house.

I find the Waffle House menu to be somewhat poorly done
but have no problem with Waffle House itself. I see little
need to pay a premium in the pursuit of ostentation.

Personally, I see Waffle House as an "upscale" alternative
to McDonalds.

Capricious

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
To Shelley's point, or the point of the article Shelley posted: It seems just one more example of developers and local government officials who have chosen to pay no attention to market research...or to do no market research...or not understand why market research is important to success of any business venture.

It is amazing to see what has happened....:dunno: :dunno: :roll: