• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wallymom

Beach Lover
Jul 9, 2005
WOW!!! We were in town over the Fourth and had, for the first time, the fried strawberries at Pandora's. I couldn't believe how delicious they were! I'm not even a big strawberry fan, but these were great. So good, in fact, that within 24 hours of arriving home, my husband has already purchased a deep fryer and all the ingredients and as I type this is working on perfecting the recipe! :rotfl:

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
wallymom said:
WOW!!! We were in town over the Fourth and had, for the first time, the fried strawberries at Pandora's. I couldn't believe how delicious they were! I'm not even a big strawberry fan, but these were great. So good, in fact, that within 24 hours of arriving home, my husband has already purchased a deep fryer and all the ingredients and as I type this is working on perfecting the recipe! :rotfl:

Sounds scrumptios!! Please post the recipe when he gets it down.
23_31_4.gif

wallymom

Beach Lover
Jul 9, 2005
I sure will! The folks at Pandora's told us to roll the strawberries in cinnamon, sugar, and Panko break crumbs. Then deep fry and coat with powdered sugar. Then they're served with ice cream. He did just finish his first batch...he's having some trouble getting the cinnamon, sugar, crumb mixture to stick. Any suggestions?????????

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
wallymom said:
I sure will! The folks at Pandora's told us to roll the strawberries in cinnamon, sugar, and Panko break crumbs. Then deep fry and coat with powdered sugar. Then they're served with ice cream. He did just finish his first batch...he's having some trouble getting the cinnamon, sugar, crumb mixture to stick. Any suggestions?????????

hmmm...allifunn???? maybe coat with egg whites first? they sound deeelish! :D

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
could be the answer...and sure could not hurt! keep us informed!:shock: :scratch: :scratch:
destindreamin said:
hmmm...allifunn???? maybe coat with egg whites first? they sound deeelish! :D

audie

fartblossom
May 15, 2005
i agree - these things are to die for !!! i always get them when we are down..

Allifunn

Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
Here is one recipe I found...I'll post others as it does not sound like Pandoras'. Sherry sauce sounds good!

Deep-Fried Strawberries

Posted by CookinMom at recipegoldmine.com May 18, 2001

1 cup pancake mix
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
24 large strawberries
Vegetable oil
Sherry Sauce (recipe follows)

Combine pancake mix and milk, stirring well. Dip strawberries in batter and deep fry in hot oil (375 degrees F) until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

Serve strawberries immediately with Sherry Sauce. Yield: 2 dozen.

Sherry Sauce
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon plus 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 cup sherry

Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and sherry, stirring until cornstarch dissolves. Gradually stir cornstarch mixture into hot sugar mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sauce is smooth and thickened.

Yield: About 3/4 cup.

Allifunn

Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
Deep Fried Strawberries with Custard Sauce

For the Sauce:
Custard sauce can easily be purchased in most
grocery stores, you can skip this part and buy
some sauce.
4 cups half and half
1/2 cup sugar
2 inch piece vanilla bean or 1 tsp. vanilla
5 egg yolks(save the whites)

For the Strawberries:
36 strawberries
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 cups beer(light in color like Bud)
5 egg whites
cream of tartar
Oil for deep frying
powdered sugar

To make the sauce:
In a small saucepan scald 4 cups half and half with 1/2 cup sugar and the vanilla. Discard the
vanilla bean after the cream is scalded. In a bowl beat 5 large egg yolks until they are light and add
the scalded cream to the yolks, in a stream, beating continually. Transfer the custard to a heavy
saucepan and cook it over low heat, stirring until it coats the back of a spoon. Put the sauce in a
chilled bowl covered with buttered wax paper, for at least 2 hours.(Can be made the day before.)

To make the strawberries:
Wash, dry and hull the strawberries thoroughly. Heat oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees(I like to use my electric skillet for this). In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour and 1/4 tsp.
of sugar and salt, add 1 1/2 cup beer in a stream and beat the mixture until it is smooth. In another
bowl beat the 5 egg whites with a pinch of cream of tartar until they are stiff. Then fold the egg whites into the beer batter gently, but thoroughly. Dip the strawberries into the batter and fry them
a few at a time, for one to two minutes or until golden brown. Drain them on a plate lined with some
paper towels. Roll the strawberries in powdered sugar and serve on top of the custard sauce.

Allifunn

Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
Then there's fried New York cheesecake ($4.99) at Main Street Station's Triple 7 Brew Pub. A frozen slice is coated in a beer batter, then dropped into a vat of hot oil. It is served with fresh strawberries and topped with whipped cream. Bon appetit!

You can fry ANYTHING!!!