Pandora's gets shut down at 9:30 due to Coconut Radio's "loud music"....

Discussion in 'Music and Nightlife' started by weatabix, Apr 26, 2009.

1. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Since 9:30 is roughly the time many tourists finish a dinner out it's freaking ridiculous IMO.

Just to check I ran it by the retirees/AARP card carriers in the family - their comment was that the Sunday night wedding reception they recently attended in a $$$$ beach community had music well after 10:30 pm.

2. weatabix

weatabix Beach Lover

Very true.....It has always been important to us as musicians to make sure our levels are adequate enough so that patrons can carry on a conversation and not feel they need to shout.....we know of many musicians in this area that feel the same way, we don't want to annoy anyone, we just want to put out a great product so that the listeners will have a good time and relax at these establishments....We hope this issue develops into a solution soon so we can all be satisfied.....We weren't in the wrong place at the wrong time if this calls people to action and rules get put into place.....We want to play by the rules AND we want to play music.....We can do both......Coconut Radio

3. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

My 2 cents for what they are worth.

I was at home after a long and hectic day at work. At 9:00 PM I didn't hear a peep coming from Pandora's direction and we live very close by in the woods that back up to it.

However, I could clearly hear a roughly 45 minute symphony of fireworks artillery being discharged (illegally) on the beach which is probably about 1/2 mile away from our house, as the crow flies.

Priorities, people, priorites...:bang:

4. cherijean

cherijean Beach Fanatic

The Grayton Beach noise ordinance was put into place many years ago with the mindset that we are greatly a residential community and needed some sort of guideline to satisfy both residential families and businesses alike. Since it is in place we all must abide by it.

Red Bar has made it work and so can Pandora's.

As far as the loud music at Pandora's we have had only ONE complaint from a guest in all of the years we have been neighbors.

When the guest complained I PERSONALLY called the management at Pandora's and within an hour he came over and he & I sat down face to face and talked about the effect the loud music (Tornado Riders) had on our livelihood. The customer left the next day (after another night of music) very happy and thankful for having a peaceful nights sleep.

My hope is that no business be shut down and no employee or musician lose a job nor any neighbor truly be disturbed.

HUGS!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  5. Bob

Bob SoWal Insider

try being quiet when people want to sleep....that may work

6. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Based on the posted comments from neighboring residents and businesses, they apparently aren't being that loud.

7. Susan Horn

Susan Horn Beach Fanatic

I have mixed feelings about the fact that the ordinance allows anonymous complaints. That makes sense for law enforcement agencies wanting tips for violent crimes, thievery, stalking, abuse, vandalism, etc., so people don't have to fear for their safety. But for music that's too loud, without an objective standard to follow? I don't think so.

Seems this ordinance may need to be revised.

8. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

what time would that be?

9. GoodWitch58

GoodWitch58 Beach Fanatic

I wonder if there isn't something else going on: if the musicians say they were not playing loud; two neighbors, one business, one residential, say they did not hear/have customer complaints; most of us seem to think 9:30 on a Saturday night is an appropriate time for music....

what's the rest of the story?

10. DuneAHH

DuneAHH Beach Fanatic

Buster, I am confused by the above highlighted statement. :dunno:

SO: An anonymous complaint about loud music (that apparently was NOT loud music since that isn't what CR plays) was lodged with the sheriff's dept.
    SO: "CR was just in the wrong place at the wrong time".

Hmmm...

This leads me to the possibility that the repeated anonymous complaints don't necessarily have a thing to do with the noise levels at all...

but are really about someone having personal issues with THE MANAGER and deciding that multiple noise complaints would be a good way to 'teach him a lesson?

Or am I completely misinterpreting the point?

11. John R

John R needs to get out more

this in no way relates to what is being discussed in this thread.

12. Groovegirls

Groovegirls Beach Fanatic

i love it!

13. Groovegirls

I am confused. Unless the manager was arrested for something not related to noise, I don't understand your point.

14. Groovegirls

Everybody does get excited about this subject but I want to point out that all we have asked for since the beginning is a clear and fair ordinance. Most bars have followed "the assumed ordinance" for years with minimal problems. A two piece string band at 9:30 on Saturday night seems pretty reasonable to me. But if one person doesn't think so then its over. If we had clear rules to follow that problem and this thread would not exist. Plus, the cops would be free to fight crime

15. Groovegirls

My understanding is that you can get the info. They don't want to give the information out at the time of the "disturbance". I would guess they dont want to to create another disturbance. I'm not sure how one would get that info but it would be nice to know if we are dealing a few people over and over or several people. My guess is a few but I don't claim to know.

16. Groovegirls

I appreciate your point but nothing is that easy. Lots of people are up at 9:30 on Saturday. Some people aren't. I sometimes work days and start work before other people get up. Sometimes I work nights and go to bed when others get up. In fact my neighbor mows his lawn early on Saturday morning. About an hour or so atfer I go to bed (after work, just to clarify). I don't call the police. I could go ask him to adjust his schedule but he has been mowing that yard on Saturday morning since before I even lived here. Live and let live. He isn't trying to bother me and I did choose move to a house with a neighbor who mows his yard. I could live in the woods if I wanted to expect total peace on my schedule. There is a middle ground. We just have to find it. A string band on Saturday night might just be too much for some people but it seems far from the middle ground when someone goes to jail over it. If the police took an adjustment policy, it might not take long to figure out what volume does work. And keep in mind these bar owners are trying to please their clientelle. That is what any reasonable person in any business would do. None of us in the bar or entertainment indusrty want to disturb any peace or infringe on others rights but it has to be a two way street to work.

17. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I've driven past Pandora's at night while bands were playing on many nights. From the road, you cannot hear them playing. It is only when you approach the back patio that you can typically hear any music or noise.

18. GoodWitch58

GoodWitch58 Beach Fanatic

"It's 9:30 p.m. and it's Saturday night: Have your Turned Your Music Off?"
    (Sarcasm on)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  19. rapunzel

rapunzel Beach Fanatic

We live one door down to the house that could be described as the house that backs up to Pandora's. We have a porch off our bedroom upstairs, and when we first moved in last September, I'd go out on the porch and listen to the music from Pandora's. It was barely audible, just a soft murmur of background music. It was really pleasant. That stopped shortly after we moved in, when these complaints started. The music had never been loud enough for us to hear when we were inside the house.

As for Saturday night, I never heard any music. Our upstairs air conditioner was broken, so I had the back doors to the porch open as well as all the windows. I heard nothing. My peace was only disturbed by the fireworks on the beach (the gunpowder smell was drifting into my bedroom) and the flashing lights of the three police cars at a nearby house.

With all this support, perhaps a campaign of visibility would help more than anything else. Come up with a slogan -- something like "I support live, local music" or "Keep Grayton Funn" with a musical design -- and make bumper stickers, yard signs, etc. Perhaps local folk/political sign painter Skunkape would volunteer his services...I'm sure with all the talented people in the arts community around here, a great design would be easy. I'll volunteer to put up a yard sign. I'm sure the visible support of neighbors would do much to further your cause!

20. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

"Music knows no boundaries."