• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Groovegirls

Beach Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
We live one door down to the house that could be described as the house that backs up to Pandora's. We have a porch off our bedroom upstairs, and when we first moved in last September, I'd go out on the porch and listen to the music from Pandora's. It was barely audible, just a soft murmur of background music. It was really pleasant. That stopped shortly after we moved in, when these complaints started. The music had never been loud enough for us to hear when we were inside the house.

As for Saturday night, I never heard any music. Our upstairs air conditioner was broken, so I had the back doors to the porch open as well as all the windows. I heard nothing. My peace was only disturbed by the fireworks on the beach (the gunpowder smell was drifting into my bedroom) and the flashing lights of the three police cars at a nearby house.

With all this support, perhaps a campaign of visibility would help more than anything else. Come up with a slogan -- something like "I support live, local music" or "Keep Grayton Funn" with a musical design -- and make bumper stickers, yard signs, etc. Perhaps local folk/political sign painter Skunkape would volunteer his services...I'm sure with all the talented people in the arts community around here, a great design would be easy. I'll volunteer to put up a yard sign. I'm sure the visible support of neighbors would do much to further your cause!

Great idea! What we really need is a good clear law and this sounds like a great way to get our opinion heard or at least noticed. I will be looking into stickers today. I have joined two organizations to deal with this and other issues and I thought that this issue was resolved by the new sheriff's policy. Also, the county is working on an ordinance which brings us back to vague and unconstitutional. Perhaps the musicians need to start yet another organization. Perhaps we need to write and propse our version of the ordinance. Perhaps if the people who have been complaining come out of the shadows and explain exactly what they want we can find the middle ground. All I know for sure is that if a string band on Saturday night is too much then we all might as well pawn our instruments and start an early afternoon shuffleboard social club. No drinking though, we wouldn't want the shuffleboard club to disturb the peace. I would like to add that all of the meeting I have been to on this subject included a total of TWO PEOPLE who were against the music. If that is at all reflective of the community, I think this issue is solved. Just one more thought. If all these people go to bed so early, then why do all our local businesses open so late in the morning? In fact the only shops open early are bars and restaurants. ONE MORE TIME. None of us want to disturb anybody's peace however the entire community cannot yield to a couple of people. All we are trying to do is what we have been doing for many years. Yes, some things do happen at bars that shouldn't, but that has nothing to do with the legitimacy of live music.

I should have posted this earlier but here it is:
The Association of Emerald Coast Event Professionals - AECEP09@yahoo.com

30A Business Owners josie@stinkysfishcamp.com

Both of these organizations have been dealing with this and other issues that affect our local businesses.

The sheriffs office does have a liason but I can't seem to find the number. Here is the substation - 267-2700 or 267 - 2613 (remember they dont make the rules but they do haveto respond to complaints)

Code enforcement - 622-0000

Groovegirls

Beach Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
Ok. Before everybody floods the substation with calls...I just got off the phone. I was not able to get much info but I am expecting a call from someone who can answer my questions. I will post what I learn. In the meantime I have talked to my crew and Southern Groove would be more than happy to organize the musicians and bar owners and supporters. Hit me up if you would like to be involved. (groovegirls@netzero.net, 259-3035 or via SoWal) Start thinking about a name and a slogan as Rapunzel suggested. Spread the word and gather support!

Redd

Beach Fanatic
May 7, 2007
Ok. Before everybody floods the substation with calls...I just got off the phone. I was not able to get much info but I am expecting a call from someone who can answer my questions. I will post what I learn. In the meantime I have talked to my crew and Southern Groove would be more than happy to organize the musicians and bar owners and supporters. Hit me up if you would like to be involved. (groovegirls@netzero.net, 259-3035 or via SoWal) Start thinking about a name and a slogan as Rapunzel suggested. Spread the word and gather support!

At the end of the day, this is going to need legal representation "defence fund" and a collective group to fund it, then representation is made for a reasonable, fair, and CLEAR set of walton county and local ordinance that can be voted on by the majority and or elected representatives.
Town hall meetings held prior to drafting amendments, changes to existing, or whatever lawyers do
We are close enough to Tallahassee to be able to find such a lawyer skilled in writing and or addressing such
Then, clear procedure is handed off to SWPD
So, while slogans are good and catchy, give it a purpose, to fund representation so this situation can be resolved long term
There are folks round here who are "advising" the "residents" on how to complain, thats kinda petty and behind the door versus being open and debating the solution
This also stems from those in influence on the county that have provided many obstacles in the way of people reopening or altering existing properties that dont want "growth" in SRB / blue mountain for just one area to speak of
newsflash --reopening or remodeling is not expansion
Try naming any new bars that have opened in a free standing building in recent years
Only one I can think of right now that comes close was Seerings, and redfish residents were well aware of it.

Coming here from Key West and hearing about the Dog and Pandoras recent troubles I just shake my head, I am troubled by the closed mindedness and use of tax dollars (calling police) to further what seems to be personal agendas versus whats fair for everyone

Yeh KW is a party town but they have ordinances too. Clear and enforced.

30a was revered to me by hubby when we were moving from KW
as a community that pulls together, is supportive of everyone
These (now regular) occurances are far from that.
Shame.

I immediately donate $100 to any organized legal fund set up, and I am sure Mr Redd will too

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
The answer, to me is very plain; the ordinance should be based on objective data, not subjective opinion in response to a phone call from a disgruntled neighbor. The SO owns decibel meters that are not being used, for whatever reason. Distance and SPL(sound pressure level) are quantifiable.
It amazes me that Walton is not adhering to an ordinance that is already on the books. It seems to me that the arrested employee(and past arrested employees) have a strong class action suit waiting to happen. Why Walton tries to reinvent the wheel all the time, when other counties have already laid the groundwork, is beyond comprehension.
Also, the complainant at some point loses anonymity, no?

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
At the end of the day, this is going to need legal representation "defence fund" and a collective group to fund it, then representation is made for a reasonable, fair, and CLEAR set of walton county and local ordinance that can be voted on by the majority and or elected representatives.
Town hall meetings held prior to drafting amendments, changes to existing, or whatever lawyers do
We are close enough to Tallahassee to be able to find such a lawyer skilled in writing and or addressing such
So, while slogans are good and catchy, give it a purpose, to fund representation so this situation can be resolved long term
There are folks round here who are "advising" the "residents" on how to complain, thats kinda petty and behind the door versus being open and debating the solution
This also stems from those in influence on the county that have provided many obstacles in the way of people reopening or altering existing properties that dont want "growth" in SRB / blue mountain for just one area to speak of
Try naming any new bars that have opened in a free standing building in recent years
Only one I can think of right now that comes close was Seerings, and redfish residents were well aware of it.

Coming here from Key West and hearing about the Dog and Pandoras recent troubles I just shake my head, I am troubled by the closed mindedness and use of tax dollars (calling police) to further what seems to be personal agendas versus whats fair for everyone

Shame.

I immediately donate $100 to any organized legal fund set up, and I am sure Mr Redd will too

Soon everyone should have money for this fund simply from not having any places to go and things to do around 30 A.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
"Why Walton tries to reinvent the wheel all the time, when other counties have already laid the groundwork, is beyond comprehension"

JohnR: when someone finds the answer to this, I hope they post it...this ("reinventing the wheel") behavior happens all the time--no matter what the subject. I just don't understand it either and efforts to make a difference have (at least in my experience) fallen on deaf ears. It is frustrating.:bang:

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I have a theory that it is due to too many "consultants" having a vested interest in the various agencies.

A new idea requires polling, feasibility studies, extensive editing and drafting or regulations etc............

Adopting a model someone else develops and has already revised means far less $$$.

Groovegirls

Beach Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008

Shame.

You are right. The odds are good that this will end up a legal fight. And any long term organized effort will likely take money. However I want to say again. The county is right now working on a county wide noise ordinance. This is in direct response to the efforts of the AECEP. We have had many officials at our meetings. There was also a public meeting at the courthouse a while back. I am just going to go ahead and say it. No entertainer outside of Southen Groove/Rebel Yell and Duke have been to one single meeting. That courthouse room was full but it should have been overflowing. No money or lawyers needed for this one folks. (Although Lyod Blue has been at our meetings to offer advice based on his experiences locally and legally)Call the Code Dept. Call your local, county and state representitives and lets get our voices heard before we need "Lawyers, Guns and Money" ( if you got that reference, you are old like me). As far as signs and such, that is not enough but it does get the word out and raises awareness and it allows more people to get involved. The main thing we need is support from the people of Walton County. If any one wants to support our effort in any way, I welcome and thank you in advance.

Groovegirls

Beach Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
You are right. The odds are good that this will end up a legal fight. And any long term organized effort will likely take money. However I want to say again. The county is right now working on a county wide noise ordinance. This is in direct response to the efforts of the AECEP. We have had many officials at our meetings. There was also a public meeting at the courthouse a while back. I am just going to go ahead and say it. No entertainer outside of Southen Groove/Rebel Yell and Duke have been to one single meeting. That courthouse room was full but it should have been overflowing. No money or lawyers needed for this one folks. (Although Lyod Blue has been at our meetings to offer advice based on his experiences locally and legally)Call the Code Dept. Call your local, county and state representitives and lets get our voices heard before we need "Lawyers, Guns and Money" ( if you got that reference, you are old like me). As far as signs and such, that is not enough but it does get the word out and raises awareness and it allows more people to get involved. The main thing we need is support from the people of Walton County. If any one wants to support our effort in any way, I welcome and thank you in advance.

I just read my post and wanted to say sorry Redd. I didn't intend to sound like I was scolding you. I get worked up about this subject.

weatabix

Beach Lover
Feb 1, 2009
I just read my post and wanted to say sorry Redd. I didn't intend to sound like I was scolding you. I get worked up about this subject.

please let us know when and where, because I promise we will get involved....whatever it takes to make the changes....Pandora's and all the other great venues in South Walton need our voices.....Thanks for all the support! Steve and Sue from Coconut Radio......