• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
having music (even loud music) at 9:30 on a Saturday night at a restaurant/bar does not seem unreasonable to me--:dunno:and I am a Granma who prefer Chopin!

Since 9:30 is roughly the time many tourists finish a dinner out it's freaking ridiculous IMO.

Just to check I ran it by the retirees/AARP card carriers in the family - their comment was that the Sunday night wedding reception they recently attended in a $$$$ beach community had music well after 10:30 pm.

weatabix

Beach Lover
Feb 1, 2009
I don't live anywhere near the Pandoras neighborhood, and have read every line of this thread to here before deciding to comment.

Is the 100 foot distance an effort to keep the music being played contained within the business patrons seating area? This would make sense to me.

I would go to more live music if I though there was a chance of being able to spend time with someone and actually carry out a conversation at the same time without needing to scream at the top of my lungs. Too many times, this is not possible.

To their defense, it doesn't sound like this is what the Coconuts were doing either.

The music intended for the folks hanging out at Pandoras should not need to be so loud as to be heard at the Red Bar, right? Seriously, right?
I grew up with Skynerd and Kiss and Mickey, but I don't need to listen to it at 110 decibels. It takes it way outside of my personal space and into someone else who maybe wants to listen to ABBA....or just the waves they just drove 800 miles to listen to.

I agree with both sides of this thread and would implore everyone to put their picket signs and pitchforks down.

Where would these local communities be without all the artists and musicians?
Where would these local communities be without the beaches and the waves?

You gotta have them both. Empathy, understanding the needs of the local small communities and above all, patience will yield the proper solution.

Very true.....It has always been important to us as musicians to make sure our levels are adequate enough so that patrons can carry on a conversation and not feel they need to shout.....we know of many musicians in this area that feel the same way, we don't want to annoy anyone, we just want to put out a great product so that the listeners will have a good time and relax at these establishments....We hope this issue develops into a solution soon so we can all be satisfied.....We weren't in the wrong place at the wrong time if this calls people to action and rules get put into place.....We want to play by the rules AND we want to play music.....We can do both......Coconut Radio

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
My 2 cents for what they are worth.

I was at home after a long and hectic day at work. At 9:00 PM I didn't hear a peep coming from Pandora's direction and we live very close by in the woods that back up to it.

However, I could clearly hear a roughly 45 minute symphony of fireworks artillery being discharged (illegally) on the beach which is probably about 1/2 mile away from our house, as the crow flies.

Priorities, people, priorites...:bang:

cherijean

Beach Fanatic
The Grayton Beach noise ordinance was put into place many years ago with the mindset that we are greatly a residential community and needed some sort of guideline to satisfy both residential families and businesses alike. Since it is in place we all must abide by it.

Red Bar has made it work and so can Pandora's.

As far as the loud music at Pandora's we have had only ONE complaint from a guest in all of the years we have been neighbors.

When the guest complained I PERSONALLY called the management at Pandora's and within an hour he came over and he & I sat down face to face and talked about the effect the loud music (Tornado Riders) had on our livelihood. The customer left the next day (after another night of music) very happy and thankful for having a peaceful nights sleep.

My hope is that no business be shut down and no employee or musician lose a job nor any neighbor truly be disturbed.

HUGS!

Last edited:

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
There appears to be multiple documents pertainimg to noise. Some are laws. ordinance etc. They conflict and vary from neighborhood to another. No wonder we cant figure out what we can and can't do.
try being quiet when people want to sleep....that may work

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
I have mixed feelings about the fact that the ordinance allows anonymous complaints. That makes sense for law enforcement agencies wanting tips for violent crimes, thievery, stalking, abuse, vandalism, etc., so people don't have to fear for their safety. But for music that's too loud, without an objective standard to follow? I don't think so.

Seems this ordinance may need to be revised.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I wonder if there isn't something else going on: if the musicians say they were not playing loud; two neighbors, one business, one residential, say they did not hear/have customer complaints; most of us seem to think 9:30 on a Saturday night is an appropriate time for music....

what's the rest of the story?

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
Coconut Radio was in the wrong place at the wrong time. It is a shame they got hurt, but apparently it is the manager they should blame, not the neighbors.

Buster, I am confused by the above highlighted statement. :dunno:

SO: An anonymous complaint about loud music (that apparently was NOT loud music since that isn't what CR plays) was lodged with the sheriff's dept.
SO: "CR was just in the wrong place at the wrong time".

Hmmm...

This leads me to the possibility that the repeated anonymous complaints don't necessarily have a thing to do with the noise levels at all...

but are really about someone having personal issues with THE MANAGER and deciding that multiple noise complaints would be a good way to 'teach him a lesson?

Or am I completely misinterpreting the point?